• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WillysDriver
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 26, 2006

Cummins 5.9 L swap

I've been away from the fullsize Jeep scene for a few years but am back full force with a new toy. The 360 drank a bit to much fuel for my liking so I started looking into a diesel swap. I had a line on a cheap donor 1991 Dodge 250 with the 12 valve Cummins 6BT. The swap was a bit challenging but it now looks almost stock sitting under the hood. Any questions or comments let me know.

• Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

very impressive!

did you keep the o/d tranny? if so how much did you shorten the rear drive shaft?
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• ohioj20
      304 AMC
      • Nov 26, 2001

Great swap! Looks like a lot of hard work went into that! That is what kept me away from going the 3.9/5.9 route. The 6.2 diesel fits in just nicely! Nowhere near as a good motor as a cummins, but I'm not looking to tow, just want the fuel improvement!
      Kenny
      1982 Jeep J10 body going on 1991 Dodge W250 frame with a Cummins and 5speed
      1999 Dodge Durango 5.2 V-8

Comment

• jeepmj_tj
        232 I6
        • Aug 09, 2006

Originally posted by WillysDriver
        I've been away from the fullsize Jeep scene for a few years but am back full force with a new toy. The 360 drank a bit to much fuel for my liking so I started looking into a diesel swap. I had a line on a cheap donor 1991 Dodge 250 with the 12 valve Cummins 6BT. The swap was a bit challenging but it now looks almost stock sitting under the hood. Any questions or comments let me know.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/5559...ST?vhost=rides

wow, I'm in the middle of the exact same swap. 92 12 valve, going in a 79 j20. I actually pulled the cummins out today!!!!!

I have loads of questions.

did the stock intercooler fit behind the muscle grille?
        do you have any close up pics of your engine mounts?
        what are you using for your heaterbox/core. did it effect the underdash ac?

did you modify the stock gas tank with an electric fuel pump?

what gages did you deside to use?

thanks

im sure ill have more questions.

joe
        01 TJ-Trail rig
        91 MJ-Play toy and work horse

79 J20 Tow Rig- Cummins 6 cyl, DD since 07

Comment

• crazydog
          350 Buick
          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by jeepmj_tj
          wow, I'm in the middle of the exact same swap. 92 12 valve, going in a 79 j20. I actually pulled the cummins out today!!!!!

I have loads of questions.

did the stock intercooler fit behind the muscle grille?
          do you have any close up pics of your engine mounts?
          what are you using for your heaterbox/core. did it effect the underdash ac?

did you modify the stock gas tank with an electric fuel pump?

what gages did you deside to use?

thanks

im sure ill have more questions.

joe
          Dodge did not add the intercoller until the 91.5 came out. So, he may or may not have had an intercooler. Not sure why you would need a electric lift pump, the mechanical lift pumps are usually more than adequate. You could add a piston pump to replace the factory diaphragm pump. These can be found on eBay quite often. As far as gauges, I will be using Isspro gauges when I swap a 4BT in. Not sure about the rest.
          1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans

Comment

• jeepmj_tj
            232 I6
            • Aug 09, 2006

Originally posted by crazydog
            Dodge did not add the intercoller until the 91.5 came out. So, he may or may not have had an intercooler. Not sure why you would need a electric lift pump, the mechanical lift pumps are usually more than adequate. You could add a piston pump to replace the factory diaphragm pump. These can be found on eBay quite often. As far as gauges, I will be using Isspro gauges when I swap a 4BT in. Not sure about the rest.
            in his pictures i noticed he is using the intercooler pipes... the non intercooled motors had a square metal intake tube that came up over the valve covers.

for some reason i was thinking there was also an intank fuel pump as well as the lift pump on the engine...
            01 TJ-Trail rig

Comment

• WillysDriver
              230 Tornado
              • Nov 26, 2006

This swap was done on a shoestring budget so many parts were salvaged off of the donor truck. I prefer to use what I have rather then have custom parts built.
              I added some more pictures to maybe help answer some questions. This Jeep does have a lift on it so that helps with axle clearance. I will have to add a leaf to the front end to help the springs. It's too bad I need to add a leaf, the Jeep rides alot better now actually with the extra wieght. I used an '89 Dodge Cummins 4wd transmission that originally had an NP205 on it. The Jeep NP 208 slid on but due to the Dodge T-case adapter housing being longer it caused the T case to hit the Fuel tank. I have removed the mud colecting frame rotting skid plate off of the tank and moved the tank backwards an inch. Due to this I had to shorten the rear shaft and lengthen the front. I still need to sort out a 4wd shift lever because of the T case relocation and yes the speedometer cable is long enough. I used the Dodge shifter linkages and the frame pivot bracket. It was modified and welded to the LH spring hanger as per the picture. I was able to rubber mount the Dodge intercooler in the front rad cradle. The lh Intercooler pipe had to be sectioned and rotated for alignment. Due to the massive air requirements I opted to stick with the factory filter box. It is mounted where the Jeep battery tray once was. A larger cold air inlet was cut into the rad support at the OEM location. I did not want to run 6 miles of battery cable to relocate the battery,plus it gets cold here in the winter and I wanted the battery close to the starter. A custom battery box was sunk into the rh fender where the old heater box was. To heat the cabin I used an underdash heater box from a mid to late 70's Ford pickup. I had to make some custom brackets but it will fit. The Dodge heater valve was used to control coolant flow. The exhaust is the Dodge donors system with the intermediate pipe removed and a short section added in after the turbo downpipe. The tailpipe had to be sectioned and shortened to exit correctly. I am currently not running a fan but will be adding an XJ fan to create some airflow, but it has not yet climbed anywhere near getting hot. I Used all of the sensors off of the Jeep 360 to retain the Factory look. The Oil pressure gauge spikes when the oil is cold 85 + PSI!! at temp it drops down to normal range. The high output Dodge alternator also makes the amp gauge climb at startup but settles down to operating position quickly. For '91 Dodge used the ECM to control the voltage regulation so a Dodge external Reg. will be required from an earlier truck. Hope this helps somebody. I have over 60 man hours in this swap so it's not a weekend job.
              Last edited by WillysDriver; 11-26-2006, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
                304 AMC
                • Feb 02, 2006

hats off, man,
                hope i can be rattling along in a 5.9 (or even 3.9) j-truck or waggy someday soon...
                prolly just be a 6.2 though.... but who knows...

peace
                Dvae
                There is no way to rule innocent men.
                The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
                Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
                One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• pb
                  350 Buick
                  • Aug 28, 2003

Wow, looks good.
                  Paul
                  1975 Wagoneer DD
                  360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• jeepmj_tj
                    232 I6
                    • Aug 09, 2006

hey willysdriver,

check your PM's
                    01 TJ-Trail rig

Comment

• outofcontrol
                      230 Tornado
                      • Dec 07, 2006

awesome project

I have read this post about 10 times, and looked at the pictures at length. I'm glad to see someone besides the crazy Germans trying this transplant.
                      I have a general question: is the engine bay of the this chief the same as a grand wagoneer?

thanks for the pics!

-Kevin

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                        King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Did you have to beef up the frame to support your 6BT?
                        Could you provide some more details of the Engine mounts?

It appears you are using the stock HD44 front axle.
                        Do you think this will be strong enough for a 6BT?
                        Have you considered a Dana60 front axle to support the weight?

Is there any room left for an Intercooler should you choose to add one later?

What kind of fuel mileage you think you will get?
                        Better than 20MPG?

What is the HP/Torque output of your stock 12v 6BT?
                        Bryan Smith
                        2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                        - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                        1986 Jeep J20
                        - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                        1982 Jeep J10
                        - Has become a Long Term Project.
                        1981 Jeep J20
                        - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                        1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                        - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                        ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                        Originally posted by Lindel
                        Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• outofcontrol
                          230 Tornado
                          • Dec 07, 2006

Originally posted by The PIG Smith
                          Is there any room left for an Intercooler should you choose to add one later?
                          TPS- if you look at photo 13 you can see just a little of the charged air cooler between the radiator and grill in the bottom left corner. He also put up a couple pictures of the mounting detail through the grill from the front. (I had the same question first time I saw the pictures)

Originally posted by The PIG Smith
                          What is the HP/Torque output of your stock 12v 6BT?
                          If this motor is in stock form, it should have about 160hp / 400 ft lb

-Kevin
                          Last edited by outofcontrol; 12-17-2006, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                            King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by outofcontrol
                            TPS- if you look at photo 13 you can see just a little of the charged air cooler between the radiator and grill in the bottom left corner. He also put up a couple pictures of the mounting detail through the grill from the front. (I had the same question first time I saw the pictures)

-Kevin
                            Thank You.
                            I see that now.
                            Bryan Smith
                            1986 Jeep J20
                            1982 Jeep J10
                            1981 Jeep J20
                            1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                              King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by outofcontrol
                              If this motor is in stock form, it should have about 160hp / 400 ft lb

-Kevin
                              Oh my! I would figured that a 6BT would be stronger.
                              I just really did not know.

My brother has a 4BT in a '97 Ford F-150.
                              It has larger injectors and the injector pump has been turned up a bit.
                              Other than that, it is bone stock. No Intercooler.
                              It produces 165HP and 400 ft/lbs of torque on a chassis dyno.
                              They are other mods he has in mind, like an intercooler and a different injector pump that get his 4BT up to 200HP.
                              I think in stock, his 4BT produces 120HP. I dunno the stock torque rating.
                              Bryan Smith
                              1986 Jeep J20
                              1982 Jeep J10
                              1981 Jeep J20
                              1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer

Comment

Working...
                              X