• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Strode
    1st Chair, Cowbell
    • Nov 08, 2011

Originally posted by Jlamb
    They will only be looking for air and a cat on your vehicle. Go ahead and change the carb and they will never know if you removed the EGR or other components.

I ran my 79 as an 82 (so I could tune it to the IM240 run, 79 is only a tailpipe test) I do not have an EGR and I did pass but I am sure the reason is because it is running rich. I have a 1406 Edlebrock with 89 secondary jets and 92 primary. The limit is 65 grams for CO and just came under at 62gpm. This was the only area that was high. It is nice that 82 yr trucks have such liberal standards. For reference they are 6gpm for HC, 65 gpm CO, 6 gpm NOx. If I could get it to run a cleaner, CO would drop and NOx would raise.
    Thanks. What do you mean you ran your '79 as an '82? What's the IM240 run?

I see Edelbrock has EGR 4V manifolds, so I don't have a problem keeping the EGR. The charcoal cannister has a purpose, that fine. But a newer Edelbrock or Holley won't have the input from the charcoal cannister that has a solenoid at the front of the carb, so......?

Mostly what I want is a 4V carb, and to get rid the stuff that seems to be put there to meet federal standards for cold weather starts & stuff. Like the dual vacuum flappers on the snorkle, and all those Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogley* vacuum lines, check valves, & tees.

The Motorcraft carb looks specifically built to take the

Thanks for the links I've been given. Some of those are really helpful for mapping the vacuum lines & stuff. I need to study them, and come up with a plan.

*EDIT: How did the Great Googley Moogley stuff get in there? I didn't type that! You guys have a script that puts that in there when key words are typed? Like vacuum lines? Ha
    Last edited by Strode; 12-21-2011, 08:45 AM.
    Brad
    (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• FSJ Guy
      • Mar 20, 2005

The heater riser "flapper" actually helps with cold starting as it is designed to draw in warm air (warmed by the exhaust manifold) until the engine warms up.

IM240 is the dynamometer "roller" test. 4 minutes (240 seconds) of simulated driving at moderate and highways speeds.

1981 and older trucks get the old 2 speed test (idle and 2,500 rpm).

BTW, don't use cuss words and you won't get censored.
      Ethan Brady
      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Strode
        1st Chair, Cowbell
        • Nov 08, 2011

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
        The heater riser "flapper" actually helps with cold starting as it is designed to draw in warm air (warmed by the exhaust manifold) until the engine warms up.

IM240 is the dynamometer "roller" test. 4 minutes (240 seconds) of simulated driving at moderate and highways speeds.

1981 and older trucks get the old 2 speed test (idle and 2,500 rpm).

BTW, don't use cuss words and you won't get censored.
        For "dam*? Ok

I have 2 flappers. The one I understand for the warm air, the other one I don't.
        Last edited by Strode; 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM.
        Brad

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

• bfroe
          232 I6
          • Apr 21, 2010

Originally posted by Strode182
          For "dam*? Ok

I have 2 flappers. The one I understand for the warm air, the other one I don't.
          IIRC it's for emissions, it should be closed when the engine is not producing vacuum for a long time (i.e. when it's off).
          87 Grand Wagoneer, 235k, 360/727/229 TFI bored .030
          http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq103/Jimmorrison91/

Comment

• Jlamb
            327 Rambler
            • Nov 08, 2003

IM240 run is the test Colorado uses for light duty gasoline vehicles 1982 and newer. It stands for Inspection/Maintenance 240 seconds (that is how long the drive on dyne takes) The drive trace is a section of the federal test procedure.

I work at a place that has software and dyne that can run the IM240. I entered my vehicle as a 1982 instead of a 1979 so I could run it and see what it put out. I did this because I feel clean emissions are a result of a properly running vehicle. My readings are high so there is room for improvement.

The charcoal canister generally will not cause failure (with current CO test) unless the collector is picking up stray HCs from the vehicle or it is so saturated so bad that it is flooding the carb with excess fuel.
            1979 J20,360,TH400,QT

Comment

• tgreese
              • May 29, 2003

One flapper (the TAC) sends warm air from around the exhaust manifold to the carb at cold starts to prevent carb icing when the air is cold and the humidity is high. It changes to cold air once the engine is warm enough so its not needed. Costs nothing in performance or maintenance. Good feature - keep it.

The other flap closes the air cleaner snorkel to the atmosphere when the engine is off, so that any vapors from the carburetor are directed to the vapor recovery system and not vented to the atmosphere. As long as it works, you may as well keep it - costs nothing in performance and maintenance.
              Tim Reese
              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Strode
                1st Chair, Cowbell
                • Nov 08, 2011

Originally posted by tgreese
                One flapper (the TAC) sends warm air from around the exhaust manifold to the carb at cold starts to prevent carb icing when the air is cold and the humidity is high. It changes to cold air once the engine is warm enough so its not needed. Costs nothing in performance or maintenance. Good feature - keep it.

The other flap closes the air cleaner snorkel to the atmosphere when the engine is off, so that any vapors from the carburetor are directed to the vapor recovery system and not vented to the atmosphere. As long as it works, you may as well keep it - costs nothing in performance and maintenance.
                Thanks
                Brad

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

• tgreese
                  • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Strode182
                  Thanks
                  You're welcome!

Also, the TAC warms the incoming air so that the fuel is less likely to condense out on the inside of the cold manifold. This helps cold weather drivability. Once the manifold is warm, it's not needed, and switches to cold air. (Cold air is better for power because it's denser and packs more O2 per volume.)
                  Tim Reese
                  Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                  Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                  Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                  GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                  ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Rich88
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by tgreese
                    The other flap closes the air cleaner snorkel to the atmosphere when the engine is off, so that any vapors from the carburetor are directed to the vapor recovery system and not vented to the atmosphere.
                    I thought it was to keep mice out of the air cleaner.
                    Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                    88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                    "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• SNO*MAN
                      258 I6
                      • Mar 01, 2008

I thought that in regards to smog equipment and motor swaps, that they will go by the year of the updated motor. In California they will take the year of the updated motor like an Lt1 and utilize the smog requirements for that year of motor. Don't they do the same in Colorado? A lot of manufactures and hot rodders lobbied for this in California because they knew that it would be better suited for California's stricter requirements.
                      Edlebrock/MSD/ Holley and a lot of others did such a good job that they have CA approved stickers available with purchase of their products.
                      1989 "KRONK"
                      Detroit front/rear 4.27 gears
                      Ramsey 9000 modified bronco winch bumper
                      Built 360/ 700r w/ 241c Lokar floor shifter
                      Hydro-boosted brakes
                      20" wheels w/ 35" Toyos
                      15" Welds w/35" Uncut mud boggers
                      Dual Ram Air /MSD TFI Ignition /Dakota Dash
                      www.fastfinishor.com
                      www.fastfinishor.blogspot.com
                      www.facebook.com/fastfinishor

Comment

• Matzwj
                        230 Tornado
                        • Aug 17, 2005

Mine will not pass emissions at all, and from what I hear, FSJ are tough to pass in Colorado. That was from a tech at the emissions testing facility.

It maybe cheaper to rent a place for the month in Bailey, do what you want, and register it there....

Comment

• SNO*MAN
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 01, 2008

WOW!! That should be home to the FSJ if you ask me.
                          Note to self: Don't move there.

Originally posted by Matzwj
                          Mine will not pass emissions at all, and from what I hear, FSJ are tough to pass in Colorado. That was from a tech at the emissions testing facility.

It maybe cheaper to rent a place for the month in Bailey, do what you want, and register it there....
                          1989 "KRONK"
                          Detroit front/rear 4.27 gears
                          Ramsey 9000 modified bronco winch bumper
                          Built 360/ 700r w/ 241c Lokar floor shifter
                          Hydro-boosted brakes
                          20" wheels w/ 35" Toyos
                          15" Welds w/35" Uncut mud boggers
                          Dual Ram Air /MSD TFI Ignition /Dakota Dash
                          www.fastfinishor.com
                          www.fastfinishor.blogspot.com
                          www.facebook.com/fastfinishor

Comment