• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thatch
    230 Tornado
    • Dec 11, 2015

Broken 'Thingie'

First post here, sorry for diving right into the issues, I'll get to the intro board as soon as this thing is back together...

My son has bought, and I am helping him fix, a 79 j10 w/ 360. He has done a number of things too it and is in the process now of removing the carb (2150) to do a rebuild. Well he just came into the house venting a bit that he 'broke something off'. Thinking the worst I went outside to take a look at the damage and found him holding this..

It can be seen below connected to choke housing. (before it was busted off)

So, what is it, and how do we fix it?

On a side note, we are having some rather bad (suspected) vapor locking going on on the truck and if this part was previously cracked/ leaking, would that have contributed to it? (we didn't notice any fluids coming from this, but the rest of the carb is leaking enough we could of missed something. It apparently came off rather easily as he was trying to disconnect it from the choke housing.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    Last edited by Thatch; 12-17-2015, 02:33 PM.
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

Choke stove tube. Feeds hot air to the choke housing . Common to rot off at the tip. Post in wanted you'll get one.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Mike D
      350 Buick
      • Jul 29, 2002

Its got an electric choke now ...

looks to me like its just something to throw in the trash and forget about ...
      64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
      50 truck
      63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
      And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

It needs both.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Thatch
          230 Tornado
          • Dec 11, 2015

First off, thanks for the info. Once you've got the name for a part it gets a lot easier to figure out what's going on.

Interesting that it still needs something both with an electric choke.... that got me thinking a bit about what is going on with the truck. Previous to it breaking off completely it must of been corroded and possibly leaking. The truck would start with choke on but the idle would never kick down unless you blipped the throttle. Once you did it would settle in a nice low idle and be fine. Would that behavior be tied to this corroded stove tube? If we complete the rebuild on the carb but don't have a solution to the broken tube, what will be the ramifications?

Thanks again for the help. My son is new to mechanics and I'm new to jeeps. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Marineviper
            232 I6
            • Jul 10, 2015

Are you in a state that you can get rid of the emissions stuff? And is there a reason it appears that it has a 1/4 vacuum line running from manifold vacuum to the base of the carb? Also it appears it doesn't have the return fuel line hooked up and the wrong filter, which helps circulate the fuel in the tank and help with vapor locking.
            76 j10 short, 360 nailhead th400 D20, 3.54, 4" lift, 31" bfg ko2

HEI
            CS130 105amp
            Comp cam sk10-200-4
            Edelbrock performer w/1406

Comment

• Thatch
              230 Tornado
              • Dec 11, 2015

I'm in Georgia, no emissions testing on vehicles this old (or in my county).

As for the rest of your questions, most of the answers are going to be variations of "I don't know". We just picked up the vehicle and are trying to get it on the road. It has been changed to an electric fuel pump, and it vapor locks after warming. We have replaced the supply line as it was an odd combination of metal and rubber line (metal in some of the hottest spots) and it has the 3 line filter off on wheel well of the truck with the return line running from it. The filter on the carb came on the truck and we've bought a replacement to put on when we rebuild the carb. The rest of it as far as where particular lines run and why, I honestly couldn't tell you.

Just to assist with any other questions, here are a couple more shots of the mess that is currently in the truck.

Thanks again

Comment

• Ristow
                • Jan 20, 2006

It won't kick down to low idle on its own. No carburetor does. That is normal operation.

Comment

• stonehengeheels
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jan 03, 2009

I fixed mine with JB Weld quick.
                  Steve
                  '87 GW (Totaled)
                  '90 GW (Under renovation)
                  '00 GC Laredo (Totaled)
                  '02 GC Laredo (Sold)
                  '67 Dodge Coronet Convertible 440/727/3.55

Comment

• JeepJeepster
                    350 Buick
                    • Sep 04, 2014

That's called the high idle cam. The engine will run at a higher RPM until you tap the throttle. The idle cam is adjustable so you can have it idle higher or lower depending on your wants. I set mine to factory specs.

The idle cam is set when you press the throttle down before starting it, which also sets the choke and sprays some fuel down the barrels.

This is actually the first carb I've seen with a high idle cam but I've not dealt with too many carbs. Couple two barrel Rochester's and some holleys but that's it. When we first got our FSJ the little cam had fallen off. Everyone was speaking of this high idle cam and I had no idea what they were talking about. Its right behind the choke heater, pretty simple.

Also, my stove pipe looks just like that. It just slides in and out of the intake. Nothing looks wrong with yours from what I can see. Mine doesn't have that round thing on it though.
                    2004 Jeep Liberty
                    1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
                    1994 Jeep ZJ I6
                    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• tgreese
                      • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by JeepJeepster
                      ... Nothing looks wrong with yours from what I can see. Mine doesn't have that round thing on it though.
                      Yes, I suspect it's ok. It just slips into the hole in the choke stove in the manifold. It's not broken if it comes out with the carburetor. If the end broke off and the tube is now not long enough to reach the choke stove, then it's broken.

The disk in the middle is either a delay valve or a thermal valve.

Clean air from the air horn passes through the choke stove in the manifold and is heated by exhaust gas through the wall of the tube. This warm air is drawn into the choke cover where it helps to warm the bimetallic strip - the choke coil. The choke coil heats up both by electricity and by warm air. The factory thermoelectric choke cover won't open completely with just electricity - it needs hot air too.
                      Last edited by tgreese; 12-18-2015, 11:03 AM.
                      Tim Reese
                      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• serehill
                        Gone,Never Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2009

Yeah i agree

Nothing hurt, the little part in the middle it a vent isn't it?????? Mine doesn't have any of that stuff & my choke work perfectly. Of course none of mine is factory.

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Edlebrock performer intake
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs
                        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• J10blues
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 21, 2014

In the pic below, the tapered tip is what goes into the intake and it looks like his has broken off and the piece is probably still in the hole. Hope this helps

Ben
                          77 J10
                          360 complete rebuild
                          TH400
                          Eddy Performer intake/Non EGR/CompCams 268 H
                          Eddy 1406
                          MSD 4AL/MSD 8519Dist/TFI coil
                          Holley fuel pump
                          MagnaFlow exhaust

02 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Comment

• Thatch
                            230 Tornado
                            • Dec 11, 2015

Yes I believe the tapered portion is still in the hole. I don't see any way of fishing that piece out and brazing it back together. The whole thing looks a bit rust welded together. The new base plate should come in today or tomorrow (the one on it was RTV welded together in two places) and I'll probably just mount it back up and JB the pipe together till I get a replacement one in. I haven't tracked one down yet (but I haven't put up a post on that here yet either so...)

Thanks again for the assist. You might be expecting some carb tuning questions coming out of me in the next few days we mount this one back up again.

Comment

• JeepJeepster
                              350 Buick
                              • Sep 04, 2014

Do you have a FSM for your Jeep? Best to read up on it before rebuilding it. The FSM for our 89 was pretty good for setting the carb back up.
                              2004 Jeep Liberty
                              1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
                              1994 Jeep ZJ I6
                              1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

Working...
                              X