International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 09-10-2018, 08:25 PM
304 AMC

You guys are gonna roll your eyes. This is all squarely on my shoulders as a Newb/careless mistake.

It was a can of Rustoleum "Automotive Primer" that I had on my shelf. I finished the can and threw it away. Trash has come and taken it away so I can't evaluate it. It was not old, maybe 6 months on my shelf.

The base was a custom match/mix from Finishmaster that they put into a spray can for me. Again trash has gone and the can with the mix label was in it so I can't evaluate it. I didn't read the label close enough, either; just trusted the counter guy. Clear coat is a Smart brand high gloss can, also from Finishmaster, via their recommendation based on what they mixed for me for the base coat.

I am fairly certain I used the wrong primer. When I get back, I will spend more time and effort making sure all paint components are correct.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 09-10-2018, 09:00 PM
350 Buick

I thought auto primer spray cans are lacquer for quick dry and easy sanding which I'd have thought would be ok under presumably urethane base/clear.

I've been using Epoxy but I'm repainting the whole thing.

I feel for you.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:09 PM
304 AMC

These are my last pictures for a few weeks. Heading to Hawaii for work for 4 weeks, then home for 9 days, then back to Hawaii for 2 more weeks. Sounds awesome but Hawaii sucks when you are there for work and have no family with you; its just another city that is a 4 hour flight from home but with crappy wrecking yards.

Here's how my intake runners turned out. Like I said, this represents ALOT of grinding.

And here's how my engine sits as I leave. The dizzy is just an old one I had that I stuck in there to plug the hole. It's pretty much sealed up now and I have it covered in towels so it should be fine sitting there for a few weeks. I am going to do stainless hardware on my valve cover. I am SUUUUPeeeer stoked on the black on blue with stainless accents. I am fairly certain my dizzy will be painted gloss black when it goes back in...
Old 09-13-2018, 10:53 AM
258 I6

engine looks super good.

Stoked ?... i bet you are,.....going to be nice in the FSJ

hope you have a safe trip.

dont get in trouble with Hawaii Five-O........"Book him Dano !"

( i spotted taco man on the filing cabinet.)

take care
dave in NC
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 09-14-2018, 07:34 AM
327 Rambler

Have a good trip Marc. Engine looks great.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:36 AM
230 Tornado

Woooooo Hooo I can finally reply.where do I start? Well your project looks fantastic! Bummer about the paint they say when using mix match paints your supposed to do a test piece, I on the other hand don’t either. I shot a fill primer on a rear quarter that had been on the shelf for way too long and did not set up. What a mess. It happens. Any way great work.
Chris
Old 09-22-2018, 07:26 PM
304 AMC

Before I left I had a good buddy come over that has painted quite a few cars. We talked about each step I did and the results I got. His opinion: it's engine degreaser. He thinks that after I cleaned my firewall with engine degreaser, before wire wheeling/painting that I did not get all the degreaser off/neutralized. Then, when the solvents from the base and clear were applied, they reacted with the degreaser and caused the bubbles. Makes perfect sense to me and is probably the best explanation I can expect. Still a bonehead move on my part though.

CHRIS!! I am going to hijack my own thread for a second to welcome you hear and introduce you.
a) I absolutely love your handle! Anyone reading this, know iapexl8r has an absolutely gorgeous AMX he races!
b) iapexl8r is the guy that bought Wesdog's Cherokee. When he bought it, we knew the roof was rusty. I didn't realize how rusty it really was until I saw this video. This roof is from a rig Heavy_metal_Thunder_81 parted out.
Cherokee Chief Roof swap video 1
Roof swap video 2
Old 09-23-2018, 01:10 AM
350 Buick

Idunno. What'd you use for degreasing?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:41 PM
304 AMC

Wooo Hooo! Back in the saddle!
Stripped my firewall back down, re-primed, and painted it. It's no show car finish but neither is the rest of my rig. It's good enough for government work. I installed a few items on my firewall, too. It feels good to be putting my truck back together. My only hangup today was the blower motor housing and the heater box gap is about 3/4" and the gasket I made is about 1/2" so I'm going to have to take it apart and put a thicker gasket in there.

I also reassembled my rear brakes; I have an e-brake for the first time since I swapped my chassis. The driver side wheel cylinder was leaking so I replaced it. Almost all my flare nuts are stripped so I have been replacing them as I go and installed a new rear soft brake line. I got the a brake soft brake from the Chebby G30 van since its a bit longer. I have to replace the hard brake line from the rear soft brake line to the drivers side cylinder because I knicked the original one when I was replacing the flare nuts. I have no good pictures of this work because its mundane.

I pulled the pump off my trans and re-sealed it. While the pump was out, I drilled and tapped the vent so I could install a nipple and hose. Trans is ready to go in. Engine is ready to go in. I was going to drop them in today but my buddy with the hoist is a on trip and doesn't get home until tomorrow. Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow, install engine/trans this weekend.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:04 AM
258 I6

that is good news !

it will be a good weekend for sure if you can drop
the motor and transmission in.

firewall looks good too
by the time all components are back on the firewall

any imperfections will not be noticed any longer
and it will look show worthy.

good job.

dave in NC
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 11-18-2018, 06:59 PM
304 AMC

Woo Hoo!!!! It's in! Drama free!

Old 11-18-2018, 07:55 PM
350 Buick

Looking good!!!!!!!!!!

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
Old 11-18-2018, 08:05 PM
327 Rambler

Looking good Rang! Keep up the good work! I take it the fires missed you...
Old 11-18-2018, 11:57 PM
350 Buick

I want a new engine for my 79.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:41 PM
230 Tornado

looking good! when do you fire it up? Be sure the oil pump has been primed, I use vasoline (for the priming of the oil pump). man its getting close
1965 mustang fastback
1972 international travelette
Yes I have a problem that’s why Iam here
Old 11-21-2018, 01:09 AM
304 AMC

Thanks guys! I am super excited! Yeah, fires missed us but some good friends of ours were evacuated and stayed in our tiny house for a few nights. They went home to a smokey house a few nights later but it was still there. The hills around us burned and it was pretty eerie seeing them glowing orange.

Not sure when I'll fire it up. I am shooting to be driving it by Christmas and so far that seems reasonable. I did pack my oil pump with vaseline. The dizzy in there now is just an old dizzy that i am going to strip the cam gear off so I can use it as a priming tool.

So last night, I cracked open my transfer case to figure out why it would not go into E-Drive/4WD. I found that my motor was not fully seated. The spring that holds it in place was demolished (see picture, dead spring on the right, obviously compared to a good one) which allowed some movement. So when vacuum hit the motor on the E-Drive/4WD side, instead of the motor shifting into E-Drive the whole housing would move just enough to light the light but not enough to fully engage 4WD. I had a spare spring so I popped it in there and Boom! 4WD works again.

Tonight I installed the trans case, replaced the yoke seal on my rear axle, gave it some new U-joints, and now have a complete drive train installed (obviously not the small bits but the big parts). Hopefully this weekend I can finish installing all my brake lines, steering, and wiper motor.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:40 PM
258 I6

well the cat's in the craddle now !!!

really looks nice with all the detail

and painting work on the chassis and firewall.

we are all stoked and wanting new engines ourselves now !

dave in NC
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 11-24-2018, 11:23 PM
304 AMC

Wiper motor is in (that was 5 minutes).

Steering column installed along with the XJ intermediate shaft are in. I am super stoked on on the intermediate shaft.

Dual diaphragm brake booster (Thanks BKilby!!) in. Master in Cylinder in. I re-did the flare nuts on the long brake line because I could never get them to seal correctly and added the brake line armor at the same time. I couldn't get the flare nut to thread into the proportioning valve so I removed the proportioning valve and saw I not only boogered up the threads but the little cone at the bottom is jacked, too. Awesome. That would explain why the last brake line in that socket wouldn't seal. Now I am on the hunt for a proportioning valve.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:22 AM
350 Buick

Dang, wish I had seen the spare tire rack on your old frame sooner. I need one because my rack is missing. It wasn't with the 79 when I bought it back in 08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang

Old 12-06-2018, 04:38 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
Dang, wish I had seen the spare tire rack on your old frame sooner. I need one because my rack is missing. It wasn't with the 79 when I bought it back in 08.
I swapped my tire rack to my new chassis. If you need a tire rack, PM me. I know a guy that probably has one and usually sells his stuff pretty cheap.

No good pictures because there really isn't much to see.

I am a federal employee so yesterday while I was federally mourning the loss of 41 I was finally able to finish up the hard brakes lines all the way around. Then I opened all the bleeders to let them gravity bleed while I was working on other items and NOTHING came out. (yes, I bench bled the master) Sigh... I guess I'll have to do the old fashioned 2 man job. Not a big deal, it's just time.

Also:
Re-sealed the heater box, installed starter, passenger header, push rods, and rockers. As I was setting valve lash I ran out of time and had to step out for other stuff. I hope to finishing lashing the rockers in the next 48 hours, button up the valve covers, and start installing the front accessories. I had to order a new oil dipstick tube because the crappy Omix Ada one I had before was cracked...soooo I ordered another one . I am hoping that I will have better luck installing this one since I have better access to the side of the block and the header is not on yet. Besides, it was $6 on amazon. If I break it, i'll get another. I can get 6 of these crappy OA ones for the cost on one Bulltear one.

I need to get busy! I want to fire it up sometime in the next 15 days! I am taking my Mazda racing on Saturday so that day is out. Sunday, my bride and I are heading to Huntington Beach to visit my brother after church so that day's out, too. Maybe I'll try to make next weekend (15-16 Dec) a 3 day weekend devoted to get the Jeep running... hmmm....