• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jraynolds
    232 I6
    • Jan 06, 2015

1980 Cherokee Laredo

Looking at an '80 Cherokee Laredo for $1000. Body is in good shape and is fairly straight. Rust in rear flares (imagine that) and some of the floor boards. It is a 360 auto with part time conversion. Owner says it has around 10K or less on complete rebuild of engine and tranny/trans case. seats were recovered and in like new condition. It has been sitting for about ten years. Owner said he has been starting it and running it once a year. With the condition it is in I think its worth what he is asking. If I get this it will probably be resold to my son for his first vehicle. Any thoughts or words of wisdom/caution would be appreciated.
    1979 J-10, 258 with 2100 conversion, T-18/D-20
    1979 Cherokee Chief WT, 360, T-18/D-20, rust
    1967 Pontiac LeMans Convertible, 400 4sp
    1968 Mustang 5.0 conversion
  • DieselSJ
    304 AMC
    • May 19, 2003

If it is this one -

Grab it. That is a great starting point for a build. I would have grabbed it myself if I had a place to store it until my current project is done.
    -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
    -99 XJ Limited.
    -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
    -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• jraynolds
      232 I6
      • Jan 06, 2015

Nope, it's a different one closer to home. But it looks to be in similar condition, without the knocking rod........

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Rust can be the big expensive deal breaker but can't tell from here how bad it is considering my skill level and budget. Keep in mind BONDO IS IS NOT THE ANSWER TO "ANYTHING".
        I'd also diligently inquire what the"conversion to part-time" consisted of. In 80 the only full-time tcase avail was the 219 and so far as I know there isn't a conversion "kit" avail. Did he swap to a 208 part-time tcase or just add unlocking hubs and call it good? Love the idea of a father-son project for his first car but beware don't commit him to a project he can't maintain on a 16 year olds budget. Fixing OEM parts is tricky enough for a kid. Fixing a PO's molested in the name of "seemed like a good idea at the time" grandiose mods can sour a young boy.
        Stress is my cardio workout.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• jraynolds
          232 I6
          • Jan 06, 2015

Ok, maybe it's not a conversion. I was under the impression that automatics had full time. Guess not. It's going to need tires, a windshield, and most/all of the hoses replaced. Don't think it will need anything major (I know, famous last words).

Comment

• Strode
            1st Chair, Cowbell
            • Nov 08, 2011

I love these things. It's kinda gotta be a labor of love to own one. The one you're describing sounds good for the price, but it is 35 years old. There are going to be problems. The more previous owners, the more problems.

If you're mechanically inclined and your son really likes them and he's willing to work on it, then it'd be good. If you want a dependable daily driver that won't ever break down, then?..maybe get a Civic. Parts for some things are hard to find, more than a Ford or Chevy. Some parts are Ford and Chevy

We have a good community here, and everybody is friendly and we all get help and give help as needed. It's a good resource. As long as your son really likes the old FSJs and you are willing to deal with things as they come up, then go for it.

It's not a bad price. Rust is the #1 thing to watch out for. The flares always rust.
            Brad
            (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

The 208 part-time case was avail behind both an AT or MT. Only difference was the shifter location. Behind a manual the shifter was a conventional on top the tunnel mount. With the AT it was the flaky flag shifter mounted in front of the divers seat sticking out the drivers side of the tunnel down low near the floor.
              The VIN will tell you how it came from the factory.
              3rd digit:
              D =auto with part-time tcase(np208)
              E = auto w/full-time tcase(np219)
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• jraynolds
                232 I6
                • Jan 06, 2015

Sorry, no Civic for us. American metal only. I'm plenty mechanical. My daily driver is either a 79 Cherokee or a 67 LeMans. Wife drives a 68 Mustang. Tinkering is in his blood. We live at 7600' so he needs 4wd in the winter, and is a fan of V8 power. I can think of worse things for him to spend his time and money on.

Comment

• Strode
                  1st Chair, Cowbell
                  • Nov 08, 2011

Originally posted by jraynolds
                  Sorry, no Civic for us. American metal only. I'm plenty mechanical. My daily driver is either a 79 Cherokee or a 67 LeMans. Wife drives a 68 Mustang. Tinkering is in his blood. We live at 7600' so he needs 4wd in the winter, and is a fan of V8 power. I can think of worse things for him to spend his time and money on.
                  Well, there you go
                  Brad
                  (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

• cma
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 26, 2012

it always depends what you want....fixing my rear flares and other typical rust areas costs me about 2500 Euro includind paint of this areas. additional the flares imported from a board member.

investment will be always more than double from what you estimated..
                    Markus!

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

Working...
                    X