• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brynjminjones
    258 I6
    • Jun 11, 2017

Jeep Rental

This is a bit of an odd one, but I feel like I'll get much more helpful responses here than there's any chance of on something like Facebook.

My girlfriend and I will be on our first proper US trip later this year, visiting relatives in Simi Valley for a couple weeks.

I've always wanted to rent a Wrangler while we're out there, but it seems like this is actually far harder and more expensive than expected. Can anyone point me in the right direction for where to look? The big companies are all no help at all!
    1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
    1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
    1974 Ford F100 390
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

depends on how much driving your going to do - they are not all that comfortable for long hauls, plus if you have alot of travel gear you may regret it

i think enterprise still rents them out
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Simi Valley?!?! That's my backyard!

I assume you are flying into LAX, right? I have rented quite a few cars from there. I know Avis has Wranglers but I don't think they will "guarantee" you get one. Usually you will have to either rent a Large SUV, Convertible, or premium car and if they have one in stock when you land, they will give it to you. I have found the best day to get the car you want is to rent on a Thursday night or Friday morning when all the business travelers are heading home.

Hertz has a significant premium fleet at LAX, too. I have seen Jags, Porsches, Ferrari's etc. I don't recall seeing Wranglers but I would assume they have some.

Last point; they will swap cars out. So if you get there and the closest thing they have to a Wrangler is a 4Runner, take the 4Runner and call them every evening at about 8pm and see if someone turned in a Wrangler that day. If they have one available, go swap cars (does not have to be at LAX, can be at any location).

I do all my personal car rentals on priceline.com. I make the reservation (because they are the cheapest), then I call the location and talk to them about special requests like a specific model.

Hope this helps!
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• letank
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jun 03, 2002

As said above, 2 years ago my friends rented a 4x4 out of SF for their tour to the southwest, no way to drive the FSJ without AC. They got a dodge journey instead, which was not that bad because of the journey high power engine, it was fun, the cherokee we learnt later were with the 4 banger engine...

Usual wrangler rentals are in the 4x4 area such as Moab and Sedona.

Beware of car break-in, car rental have specific bar codes that thieves are aware of and will break glass because the thieves know that luggage with computer(s) and goodies are more likely in the trunk. Keep bags out of site, a sedan is a better off rental, even if the out of state plates will design you as a tourist.... SF is such a plague for tourist and their car rental that the city board of supes has asked the rental to remove any signs that makes the cars stand out, well the cars stand out, they are mostly dentless, new and clean.
        Michel
        74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
        85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Old Ironsides
          258 I6
          • Jul 06, 2014

We just rented a Wrangler out of Chicago for $38/day through Alamo. I rent cars for work a lot, but this trip was a family vacation. I would recommend making a reservation by phone by calling the location of your intended pick up. Doing so makes it WAY easier if you need to change or cancel.

I reserved a full size car, and upon arrival at the counter my wife asked if they could rent us the Wrangler for the same price.... which they did! It had a hard top, which I promptly and easily removed the front section. I thought about buying a #50 Torx bit to remove the doors but never got around to doing it. It was really fun driving around the Door County Wisconsin Peninsula with the Wrangler, and even took the ferry to Washington Island.

Getting one depends on availability though, and I have found Alamo and National have the best rates.

Hope this helps!
          Grant

Old Ironsides: '76 J-10, 401 (1406/2131/DUI/RV Cam), TH400, Part Time, 3" lift, 33s, 346K Miles
          Ironsides: '75 J-10, 360 (1406/2131/MSD), TH400 QT, 6" lift, 33s, 110K Miles
          '77 Cherokee Chief, 401/Th400, QT, 4" lift... Totalled
          '79 Wagoneer, 360, TH400, QT

Comment

• Brynjminjones
            258 I6
            • Jun 11, 2017

A belated thanks everyone for the help.
            I've still not got around to booking it but will use this advice when I do.

priceline.com have given some pretty good options, although I'm always going to have a bit of trouble as I won't quite be 25.

rang-a-stang, where abouts are you? I don't know the area too well but it looks like Camarillo is very close. If you're about it'd be great to see an FSJ while we're over!
            1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
            1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Brynjminjones
              rang-a-stang, where abouts are you? I don't know the area too well but it looks like Camarillo is very close. If you're about it'd be great to see an FSJ while we're over!
              Yep! Camarillo is about 15 minutes from Simi Valley. J10Jim lives in Simi, too. PM me when you are almost here, and i'd love to buy you a coffee or something in Simi. My rig will still be in pieces when you are out here but it's unimpressive anyway (especially compared to yours).
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                258 I6
                • Jun 11, 2017

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                J10Jim lives in Simi, too. PM me when you are almost here, and i'd love to buy you a coffee or something in Simi.
                Will do! We'd love to meet and chat to some of you guys. We're over early October but will PM closer to the time!

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

Working...
                X