• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Britalia
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 23, 2002

1991 GW Engine Stalls Owner Dismayed

I've owned this FSJ for nearly 5 years, and suddently it is giving me fits. It just stops running.. twice on short trips, and three times on my 1200 mile round trip to New York. It seems to just run out of fuel, even though the gas gauge works and seems correct.
    I can coast to the side of the road, wait two or three minutes and start it back up and drive hundreds of miles with no problem. Then,it will sputter and die on me. I have rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the fuel filter, and replaced the fuel pump. It seems to be a lack of fuel. My best guess is that the fuel tank is fouled, and/or the lines are plugged up. Anyone have similar experiences ? Do you think I am on the right track ?
    Thanks
    Chuck in Lenoir, NC
    1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Final Edition, 1967 Austin Healey, 1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider, and 1986 Jaguar XJ6

Try a new ignition modual. They been known to act like that. Though usually not quite so far apart between the stalling sympthoms
    Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
    Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• andy d
      Shade Tree Shaman
      • May 06, 2000

when it dies , does it sputter and pop back through the carb?. Thats fuel starvation. Or does it just die as though the key was turned off. thats an ignition fault, maybe the module as CJM said or perhaps the pickup coil in the distributor.
      \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• Britalia
        230 Tornado
        • Sep 23, 2002

Thanks for your response and questions. I would say that it kind of sputters, bucks a bit, coughs, and then stops running. After coasting to a stop, I pump the accelerator, I don't think there is any fuel coming from the accelerator pump although it is a bit hard to see down the carburetor. I don't smell any gasoline, so I suspect the bowl is empty.
        I replaced the ignition module a few years back, but kept the original as a spare. I will put the old one back in.
        1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Final Edition, 1967 Austin Healey, 1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider, and 1986 Jaguar XJ6

Comment

• SBJeep
          350 Buick
          • Aug 14, 2003

I agree with CJ on this one. This is exactly how mine acts when the module goes out. I've only had a few experiences with clogged fuel lines but they stayed clogged until they were cleaned out/repaired.
          Tom - '90 GW(Gone)

Comment

• mdill9
            350 Buick
            • Sep 21, 2004

If you want to save some $ find a someone who
            will crimp a set of weather pack terminals on
            a older (like 83) module. The module for your
            rig will run ~$90 where the 83 module will run
            ~$30 and the only differance is the connectors.

Mike D.

Comment

• Britalia
              230 Tornado
              • Sep 23, 2002

Thanks for all the help. I will put in the spare (original)ignition module and see how it goes. I installed an aftermarket one from Autozone (lifetime warranty, no less) about two years ago, since I knew they could be a problem.
              I also plan to install a clear fuel filter before the fuel pump so I can easily tell if it is running out of gas.
              Chuck

Comment

• andy d
                Shade Tree Shaman
                • May 06, 2000

just noticed your sig, as the proud owner of a Jag xj-6 which do you find the more reliable?

[ September 26, 2004, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: andy d ]
                \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

Working...
                X