• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • autoarcheologist
    232 I6
    • Jun 12, 2011

1973 Wagoneer Restoration

So I'm not exactly sure how this started. I think I was showing a really nice Wagoneer ebay ad to my wife and said something along the lines of "if we ever need something bigger to tow a larger trailer, this is one of the only SUV's I could see owning". Her response was "Ooo, I've always liked those." So of course I start surfing Craigslist, and lo and behold this little green gem was listed out in Hood River, an hour east of Portland.

We just happened to be heading to Hood River for the day for some berry picking and sunshine, so it seemed like fate. I called the owner and he was glad to show it to us.

I liked the fact that it was a '73 with the smaller "wood" trim, and pre-smog here in Portland.

We stopped to look at it. The owner was very nice, and seemed reasonably honest. He had picked it and a vintage trailer up at an auction, but said he didn't need 2 4-wheel drive vehicles, so he was letting it go. But he had all the fluids replaced, put in a new battery and new tires.

She started right up and drove just fine, well fine for a 40 year old truck. My wife thought it was cute, as did my daughter, so we made an offer and somehow suddently owned a third car. Again.

The plan is just to get her running reliably and see how we like her. We mostly want it for towing, as I'm more of an autocrosser/track day fan. But having the four wheel drive will I'm sure come in handy here in Oregon. Who knows what the future holds.

Enough jabbering, here are some beginning pics. First up was replacing the headlight and dimmer switches to get the lights working. Oh, and fixing a fuel leak at the carb (both done). I'm loving the prices of parts compared to the Italian stuff I'm used to.

The day we bought her:

Removed the peeling vinyl off the rear:

Can anybody explain what this is?

Front seat looks to have been recovered at some point:

Good dash pad:

Original AM radio, still works! Need to find a replacement fast though...

New headlight switch, don't know where the wiper switch is from, and I'm bummed about the broken gauge facia.

I found these vacuum ports all open, so capped them. Runs about the same, I need to look for more leaks:

Anybody know what this might be? Found it under the dash when replacing the headlight switch.

Already has electric trailer brakes, but not sure they work:

What else... oh, owner claims the engine was rebuilt recently but had no papers. It runs well, once it starts.

I also need to retrofit 3 point belts and a 4 point harness for our daughter in the rear.

She'll likely need new springs, the headlights need adjusting, a radio, new front carpet and she'll be ready for service. At that point I'll decide if I fix the front end, or just drive her.

Anybody have a '73 owners manual? That will cut down on some stupid questions.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Cheers,
    Ian
    Portland OR
    Looking for Jeep enthusiasts to check out Jeeps and other classic cars and trucks for potential buyers. Learn more at www.jewelorjalopy.com

1973 Jeep Wagoneer Custom - 360 4V - sold
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina
    1966 Shasta Compact - 13' - sold
    1966 Streamline Countess 26'
  • 44BZ
    304 AMC
    • Dec 10, 2009

I saw this one on craigslist and really liked the look of it. Congrats on the purchase
    Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
      360 AMC
      • Jun 16, 2010

Nice! Looks good, glad to see another 73 on the boards! Welcome to the addiction.

I love the "grandpa wing" on the back, wish mine had it!
      Originally posted by FSJunkie
      Dr. Marneaus is now officially my idol.
      The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
      1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44

Comment

• REDONE
        304 AMC
        • Aug 19, 2002

Nice score! The folded vinyl strap holds the rear seat forward when it's folded up.

I'm jeleous!
        2012 Winner of the Prestigious Ouray Cast Iron Butt Award
        79 J-10 - The Money Badger!
        304/T18/D20/D44s
        What's been did:
        Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
        MSD Streetfire based TFI
        Custom-hack gauge cluster
        Razor swap
        Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
        2 knob tape deck!
        3" homebuilt lift
        Half a hillbilly paint job

Comment

• bruner1981jpce
          350 Buick
          • Apr 23, 2011

Welcome to the fun insanity that is owning an FSJ. That is one awesome score. Looks real good.

So, where to start answering questions?

First, in the picture where you ask what the strap is for, if that is the corner of the front seat I see, then that is the strap to hold the rear seat in place when you fold it up. There will be a tab on the frame of the rear seat that it hooks to.

Next, replacement for the AM radio. You can always open up the hole in the dash a bit more to accommodate for one of the generic stereo sizes, OR you can go on ebay and search for Jeep Wagoneer Radio. I've seen some ads where there are replacement radios with USB and AUX ports that will fit our radio openings as they are. No CD option though, some will do cassette, and if I remember correctly, most are under $100 I didn't figure this out until after I put in a generic stereo, of course.
          This one is $40 before shipping. These don't come up all that often so I'd get this one while you can. Can't really go wrong for a replacement at that price, IMHO.

Next, that socket that you found under the dash while replacing the headlight switch, is for a courtesy light. It looks like your wag is hooked up with A/C like my '81 cherokee, so that should just screw onto the bottom side of the A/C vent. Just look for a hole about the size of that screw under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

Last, about the owners manual, here is one for a 1974 I saw on BJ's. bjsoffroad.com will be one of your good friends for some projects. Anyways, I doubt there will be too much difference in the manuals being just 1 year apart, but I'm sure if you search online a bit more, you will find one for a 1973. I would give you the website I found mine at for my '81, but I can't find it. I think it was something like Jeepster Guy, or something along those lines. Here is the 1974 manual on BJ's.

Good luck man. I've subscribed to watch where this goes.
          Andy
          '81 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/HEI/176/208 AMC 20/Dana 44 3.31 gears
          Status: Work in progress Miles: Less than 140K (as of the talk with the original/previous owner) "The Jeffrey"

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12

Comment

• threepiece
            350 Buick
            • Sep 17, 2005

I've got one just like it, same color but much more rusty. My grille looks like someone drove into a snow bank too!

What does the emblem on the green portion of the left fender read? Is the right emblem the same? I don't recall having any on mine.
            FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
            We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
            We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
            Resistance is not futile yet.
            Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

Not a bad looking Waggie. You should be able to pick up a dash bezel around here.
              Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
              Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• jaber
                Dragin Az
                • Oct 17, 2003

Looks like you found a survivor. Congrats...
                Jeff

'43 cj2a
                '51 Willys p/u
                '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                '68 Panel Delivery
                '74 CJ5
                '75 J-20 Wrecker
                '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                '77 J-10 p/u
                '79 Cherokee
                '88 Grand Wagoneer
                '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• CJ5
                  350 Buick
                  • May 07, 2002

Nice Jeep! Enjoy it!
                  Chief Laredo Build Album:http://www.fototime.com/inv/BB4AF31A10748CC
                  '72CJ - Complete Restore
                  '81SJ - Loredo Resto Project
                  '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                    Murphy's Law Poster Child
                    • Dec 03, 2003

Good looking Jeep and it has the 120MPH speedometer!

The vacuum ports you capped off are for the CTO. It affects the vacuum to the distributor(or trans, or whatever else they had it plumbed to) depending on engine temp. If there's no vacuum going to the switch then there will be no leaks. If you plan to hook everything up the way the factory had it then it's not a bad idea to cap it and keep the crud out.

That wierd strap thing is to hold the rear seat upright when folded up.

That thing hanging down from under the dash appears to be a light.

Last but not least a good way to check if the brake controller is working is to plug a 7 pin trailer into the socket. Start the Jeep and look at the brake controller, are the lights on? If so, do the lights change color when you apply the brakes or when you push the tab? If so, she's working!
                    You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                    '88 GW
                    '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• tgreese
                      • May 29, 2003

Welcome!

Very nice wagon. The color is Fairway Green Poly (metallic), one of my favorite Jeep colors. I'd buy it if I had the chance.

I suggest you study the FSM/TSMs (factory service manual aka tecnical service manual) online at www.trailforge.com and www.oljeep.com - time spent perusing these documents will be very worthwhile. I suggest you download them complete and save a copy on your computer - stuff comes and goes on the internet.

Trailforge has a copy of the '72 FSM and OlJeep has a '74 FSM. The '73 will be somewhere between those. The front axle and brakes will be like a '72, and the transfer case, fuel/emissions, and VIN number is like a '74. The rest of the systems will be pretty much the same in both manuals.

If you prefer, you can buy a printed copy of the '73 manual from lots of places, including BJ's: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/CartGenie/prod-668.htm - IFSJA members get a discount there. They also have the '74 Owner's manual, which will be pretty close to the '73 manual. IMO the Owner's Manuals are meant for owners when these cars were new, and don't contain much useful info.

Welcome - that's a nice Jeep. I expect the paint will shine up a lot if you buff it out...
                      Tim Reese
                      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• tgreese
                        • May 29, 2003

Also, I really like the 'survivor' look. As mentioned, I'd buff it out and give it a good waxing, and be proud.

Regarding towing, the main drawback for this car will be the 4-wheel drum brakes. 1974 was the first year for disk brakes in these cars.
                        Tim Reese
                        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• joe
                          • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by tgreese
                          Also, I really like the 'survivor' look. As mentioned, I'd buff it out and give it a good waxing, and be proud.
                          Agreed. With some work that'll clean up well and look much better than a respray with new fangled paint and the modern 'wet plastic' look.
                          Nice find!
                          joe
                          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                            304 AMC
                            • May 01, 2004

Welcome

Congrats

YOu SUCK! (sorry, someone had to say it..)

You are in the land of many preserved FSJ's. Parts will probably not be too big of an issue once you get your FSJ radar calibrated.. You and the family will start spotting them all over the place, usually just by seeing a corner or maybe a roofline out behind a barn or something..

The Pacific NW seems to be where all the survivors are at for these rigs. You are fortunate to have a clean, crack-free dash cover. That is one thing that often does not survive the high desert dry heat.

I bought my GW when I lived in Boise simply because it was so rust-free.

Shin'er up and take her out for family cruising. You will have a blast and the kids will dig how everyone watches and points as you roll by..
                            One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                            http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                            95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                            50 CJ3A
                            77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• autoarcheologist
                              232 I6
                              • Jun 12, 2011

Hmm, can't figure out how to reply to individual comments, so I'll lump them together.

First off, thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, I know we suck. We figured there was little downside on a running, practically rust-free, pre-smog, classic Jeep. Old cars come and go around here, mostly old Alfas. Now my wife's into vintage trailers. I think I might start dabbling in old American iron since prices are so much cheaper for parts. Just need a job that pays the same and only requires 4 hours of work a week!

Thanks for the tips on the rear seat strap, that make sense. I had the seat down this weekend but didn't figure out the strap.

I like the $40 radio option, definitely looking into that! I don't want to hack the dash, so that's perfect. Plug in the ipod for trips and go. I might hide some speakers in the rear like later wags at some point.

The green is really growing on me. Fitting for Portland as it will turn green anyway if we just let it sit. Someday I'll buff her out, but both front fenders are crunched, so it needs a little pulling first. That's a slipperly slope, so for now I'll just wash it occasionally and drive her. I'll probably strip the peeling wood off to clean her up a bit. Maybe paint the wheels.

After buying her I realized that the '74 had a few nice upgrades, like the front disks. Can a '74 or later axle be swapped in easily? I'm much prefer disk brakes, but it would likely be easier to run some cooling ducts to the drums for towing through the mountains.

@tgreese - thanks for the tips on the manuals and paint color, I had already found the oljeep.com site. And I agree that documentation can dissappear quickly, so I'm working on downloading what I can. Good tip on getting the '72 and '74 for now.

I'm mostly interested in the owners manual for stupid little stuff, like how the windshield washers work. Here in the misty PNW they come in handy, so I'd like to rebuild someday. Also, for figuring out what things looked like originally before being hacked.

@threepiece188 - the emblem says "Quadratrack" then "Four wheel drive" under it. I'll snap a closeup pic. I haven't tried the low range yet to see if it actually works. I assume I need to engage it while stopped. Again, that's where the owners manual would come in handy for a 4-wheel drive noob like me.

@grand_wag_85 - yes it has the 120 MPG speed, but doubt it would hit that even going straight down off a cliff! It also reads low. If the speedo is jumping around a lot, is that the cable going bad, or the speedo?

What the CTO? Finding a vacuum diagram is high on my list to sort out, but she runs pretty well right now so I'm not too worried.

Here's a photo of my other toy. I took the wing off, pretty much everything else is the same.

Looking for Jeep enthusiasts to check out Jeeps and other classic cars and trucks for potential buyers. Learn more at www.jewelorjalopy.com

1973 Jeep Wagoneer Custom - 360 4V - sold
                              1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina
                              1966 Shasta Compact - 13' - sold
                              1966 Streamline Countess 26'

Comment

Working...
                              X