Is steering stabilizer only helpful off-road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheGossert
    232 I6
    • Aug 04, 2002

Is steering stabilizer only helpful off-road?

If I install a new steering stabilizer, would I see any benefits in my day-to-day driving? One mechanic said my stabilizer is leaking and that a new one would help my steering. I think he's wrong.

I'm not expecting rack-and-pinion precision and feel with my '91 GW steering, but, my steering has a dead spot in the center, and I have about an 1" of play in the steering on each side. Also, the steering wheel is slow to return to center.

I already fixed a bad tie-rod, and that took care of some play. Another mechanic says the steering gearbox maybe too tight. Any suggestions? Larry.
    1991 Grand Wagoneer (1st Jeep-bought 8/1/02). <br />--Rear main seal leaks fixed. What a pain!!<br />--GMB 1040P Hi-Perf. water pump and Hayden fan clutch<br />--TFI upgrade (MSD 8.5mm wires, MSD TFI coil, Champion truck plugs<br />--Bilstein shocks (front and rear)<br />--Optima battery <br />--HI-perf. alternator (powermaster)<br />--New Napa starter<br />--dual electric fans (plus clutch fan)<br />--Removed electric fuel pump (hated it: too noisy and exposed to elements)
  • RamJetFSJ
    350 Buick
    • Jul 18, 2001

I will cure some wander at speed on the road. It wont do anything for the dead spot or the slow to center problems.
    Ben
    1980 Wagoneer - Ram Jet 350, 700R4, NP208, 4" lift, 33x10.5 tires.

Comment

• jode
      JB Welder
      • Apr 08, 2002

Amen....
      No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

yeah, the steering stabilizer is meant to dampen "bump steer" when off road, but also has some benefit on less than perfect roads. the other problems you mentioned are related to the steering geer box and steering alignment/compon-ents.

Comment

• andy d
          Shade Tree Shaman
          • May 06, 2000

greasing the tie rods helped my return to center problem a little. check out the steering column for play.there is a rubber connector that gets worn
          \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• Don S
            • Feb 06, 2002

TheGossert… There is a condition know as Death Wobble… You can read about it at NAGCA.COM… It is a front-end ‘shimmy’ that can cause the loss of control of a vehicle and is mainly a highway speed problem. It seems the larger and heavier tires and wheels aggravate the problem. I’ve had the condition in two of my cars and Steering stabilizers help alleviate the Death Wobble problem… ..CUL.. ds..
            .----------------------------------------------
            76 406 QT TruTrac 2"lift 31x10.50s been over 261 Colorado MTN Passes since '85-BRC#30093 http://www.sharetrails.org/ –Join and save your Trail
            Jeep of the Month http://www.auburn.edu/~hawkijf/test.html
            http://communities.msn.com/ATexasOkl...urwebpage.msnw More OURAY Tips ABOVE *******Abbreviation & Acronym List BELOW
            Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
            It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
            ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

Working...
            X