X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeepguy77
    350 Buick
    • Mar 16, 2008

Stock for stock the 401 is better, but IMHO that's because of the forged bottom end, and stronger block. But the 401 also came with a different cam, and was available in the 70s before all the extra smog stuff was added. I really don't think its only the cubic inches that gives it the extra go. It was a combination, of the extra size, the cam and the 4bbl. When my truck was stock, it would really move but a jtruck is a lot lighter than a wagon.

With all that being said, I would still like to have a 401
    Pierce,
    77 J10 454, TH400, D20,

Comment

• austinaubinoe
      360 AMC
      • Aug 08, 2010

how is this even an argument. Who does not want a bigger motor? Only downside I see is that it cant be rebuilt as many times. Its the same motor, with stronger metal, with a larger displacement. Sounds good to me.
      Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
      5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
      SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
      -1994 Baby Grand
      -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
      -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
      -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
      i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
      i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by FSJunkie
        Anyway, 401 guys will be 401 guys, no matter what.
        And what about us 401 Gals, hhhmmmm?

Making blanket statements like that is just foolish.

And YES Blake. Stepping into a 401 will make you sit up and take notice when those secondaries kick in. Welcome to the club.
        Krista - High Priestess of Our Lady of Eternal Combustion
        77 401 Wag "Phoebe" ~ 77 401 J20 "Artemis" ~ 76 401 SOA Wag "Luna"
        The worst thing about rolling my jeep.....is trying to lick the paper...

Comment

• PlasticBoob
          All Makes Combined
          • Jun 30, 2003

^^ Woo, the cavalry's here! I was starting to feel like one of those crazy street preachers.

Just kidding. As far as I can tell, no one here insulted the 360. I do not have a negative view of the 304/360 at all. I love all the AMC engines. But really, there is a definite difference in driving a 401.

FSJunkie is spoiled by his high-compression 360, which I don't doubt is a beast...but it's still making a few hp/ft-lbs less than the low-compression 401. I'm mainly comparing the 401 to its smog-era brethren, which would be '73 on up?

Sure, you can make smaller engines powerful, but they have to rev higher to do so. Larger displacement always wins if you just want to get up to speed without a lot of fuss.
          Rob
          1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
          Click for video

Comment

• PlasticBoob
            All Makes Combined
            • Jun 30, 2003

Originally posted by []V[]AXX
            My current project is rebuilding a jet boat with a Panther drive. I've had to do a lot of research, as this is my first marine engine build. One of Panther's OEM engine combos was an AMC 360 in front of their pump. There are a few of them still around. AMC V-8 were used in many power boats, and the distinctive exhaust note is always there. Many of those drives were upgraded to the 401. The torque is beautiful.

Of course the boat I'm working on has a 460 Ford, otherwise I might hit up the AMC gurus in off topic to see if any of them has experience with marine.
            That's so cool! I had no clue, but then again I don't know much about boats at all. I'd love to see a marine AMC in action! My grandpa had a Reinell(?) with a Ford 351 that hauled the mail.
            Rob
            1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
            Click for video

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Stuka
              Gearing plays a big part in that Grand Wags had 2.73 mostly, even 70's era wags had 3.07's in a lot of cases.
              x2
              Not knocking the 401 but I'm thinking your 3.73 gears are a major player in your thrill factor over a 360 wag.
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Blake
                304 AMC
                • Dec 22, 2005

Originally posted by joe
                x2
                Not knocking the 401 but I'm thinking your 3.73 gears are a major player in your thrill factor over a 360 wag.
                maybe

but my Waggy has 4:10 gears and 35's and my Honcho has 5.38 gears and 42's. Neither one of 'em could keep up with the J20
                Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.

Comment

• Ristow
                  • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
                  FSJunkie is spoiled by his high-compression 360,
                  the high compression 360 never made it into a jeep. 8.5cr is what they got.

Originally posted by FSJunkie

So far I haven't seen any 401's that can be shifted into gear and driven without stalling after a cold start which took less than one second on the starter, just a flick.

how many 401's have you just plain seen?

come over to my house. i'll show you one. it'll get better mileage than your 360 too. you can tell me how my tailights look.

Anyway, 401 guys will be 401 guys, no matter what.
                  no. i've actually stated,recently even,that i think the 360 runs nicer than the 401. but i'm not gonna degrade the 401 simply because i don't have,even if i didn't.
                  Originally posted by Hankrod
                  Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                  ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                  I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• BRUTUS
                    360 AMC
                    • Dec 06, 2005

Have you drifted it around any corners with oncoming traffic yet Blake? How does it compare to Brutus?
                    "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
                    Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
                    Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

• Blake
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 22, 2005

Originally posted by BRUTUS
                      Have you drifted it around any corners with oncoming traffic yet Blake? How does it compare to Brutus?
                      Nope - not yet. I was taking it real easy. The tires on it are pretty old and worn...
                      Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.

Comment

• jeepjerry
                        304 AMC
                        • Oct 12, 2008

Originally posted by bigun
                        Blackbart was under the impression that AMC motors had no get up till he drove my Cherokee the first time, he was quite shocked as to how much power it had. He came back and said why have these idiots been replacing that motor with SBC all these years?
                        Hahaha....ive been saying that for a long time!....
                        1977 J-20, 4bbl AMC 360/t-18,33"s.
                        1976 CJ-5, Healthy AMC 360/t-18, 6" lift, 35"s.
                        1972 Javelin SST, mild AMC 360. Under cunstruction.

AMC ya!!

Alfano Performance
                        Kenosha, WI 53142
                        http://www.alfanoperformance.com
                        For your AMC performance parts.

Comment

• Revhendo
                          232 I6
                          • Sep 11, 2011

Originally posted by Blake
                          Nope - not yet. I was taking it real easy. The tires on it are pretty old and worn...
                          I can't think of anything more fitting than a Valhalla* send off for those old tires.....

Great truck, by the way.

* smoke and flames
                          Rev.

OK, who put the magnet under my moral compass?

1988 Grand Wagoneer. Going for the ultimate fishing rig.
                          I named her Tinkerbell after my cat. She always demands my attention and whenever I show her love, I come away bloody.

Comment

• The Colonel
                            360 AMC
                            • Feb 21, 2010

Originally posted by Stuka
                            Gearing plays a big part in that Grand Wags had 2.73 mostly, even 70's era wags had 3.07's in a lot of cases.
                            X2, going from 2.73 to 3.73 made a HUGE difference in my GW.

Comment

Working...
                            X