Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigun
    • Feb 10, 2003

I have a radioshack 10 meter bought down in florida in 92-93 used on my way back to Alb. don't think I've turned on since.
    charlie
    KB0HXA
    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    The birth of CROM is recorded here
    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• 2Stock
      232 I6
      • Aug 09, 2001

Hey guys. Glad to see this thread. I have been shopping transcievers for a couple of months since a friend ("Elmer") has been encouraging me to get my license for years. It will be a long process I know but I thought I would get a radio first and just monitor while I am learning. I have learned a lot just by surfing the Ebay ham radio section http://listings.ebay.com/aw/plisting....html?from=R11

There are quite a few mobile 2 meter rigs. Myself, I'm looking for something like a Kenwood 820S and then, as needed, pick up a mobile later.
      1980 Cherokee WT 258/T176/208/3:31 TRAC-LOK<br />-------------------------------<br />I would rather pay for gas and material<br />than for principal and interest.

Comment

• Rande
        Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
        • Jun 26, 2000

Ah yes, the infamous HTX-100. Built by Uniden, very similar to the Uniden/President 2510, but didn't have AM in it. Another Radio Shack mistake. Its a good radio, just should have had AM in it. The mics were rather poor for sound quality.
        N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
        1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
        1966 Mustang
        1937 IH D2

Comment

• bigun
          • Feb 10, 2003

well it is sitting out in my truck right now I am trying to figure out where to mount it in my dodge unfortunatly the dodge don't have the space my 68 3/4 ford had.
          charlie
          KB0HXA

congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
          Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Rande
            Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
            • Jun 26, 2000

Charlie, a good replacement mic will help those radios. Don't get me wrong, they really are good radios. Its was just the poor mic and the absence of the AM mode that decided things for me.

2stock, that Kenwood is a big beast! A great radio though. Look for a flickering digital display in those things. It was a common developement in them. The TS-830 is a very similar radio but has the extra bands the FCC authorized in the early 80s. You may look for one of those instead.

The problem with the old tube rigs is the cost of replacement tubes, and the constant tuning of the output tubes. You select a frequency to transmit on, tune the radio up and you can start talking. If you move very far away from that frequency, you have to retune. If you change bands, you retune again. Being a lazy butt, I just got tired of doing that all the time especially considering the modern transister radios need no tuning.

Its all up to you though. A used TS-820 or 830 will cost $300-$400. A used transister rig will cost only $50-$100 more.

I used to have a set of Drake twins, a Swan 500, a Kenwood TS-820, A Yaesu FT-101EX, and I now have a Swan 400. All tube radios! I've had enough of the tuning!
            N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1966 Mustang
            1937 IH D2

Comment

• bigun
              • Feb 10, 2003

My first reciver was monster all band tube name departs from me at this time but Iused to work security on the swing shift was too keyed up to go right to bed when I got home so I would go in turn on radio to let it warm up thnego in turn on stove under tea kettle take a shower come out make a cup of herbel tea then go in and listen to the world using heat off tubes to keep cup warm LOL
              charlie
              KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• bigun
                • Feb 10, 2003

My first 2 meter rigwas a Kenwood TM211A went bad on me some time ago and have been trying to find some place to get it fixed or replace it
                charlie
                KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• 4x4n In A Cherokee In Colorado
                  350 Buick
                  • Oct 29, 2003

We have a ol bird in Colo. Springs we all talk to that has an old Browning Tube Type Mark 3 Base Station on a really long Ant. I have to tell ya that old Browning is sure one AWESOME radio I hear him for 30-40 away miles when I go to work at 4:15 am every Morn...........Speaking of.. better get to bed, got another 450 miles to pound out tomorrow.
                  80 Cherokee S W/T 360/727/208 Daily Driver to Work Everyday driver. Really nice original Interior. My own Cool black paint job, with an AMC theme. Custom manual rear window. Painted Razor grille. 4 inch BJ's lift with Rancho shocks, custom fabbed bumpers, steel Levi rally wheels with 32 BFG at's. TFI upgrade, '98 S10 Blazer power steering box.

Comment

• bigun
                    • Feb 10, 2003

73s
                    charlie
                    KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Rande
                      Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
                      • Jun 26, 2000

I had an old Hallicrafters SX-110 shortwave receiver that I used to go to sleep to. The old timers say: real radios glow in the dark.

The best buy I have found in a 2 meter radio is the old KDK FM-240. A really compact radio with analog controls, just a few memories (16) and just a few features. Great little radios.
                      The new radios are so complicated I just can't get used to them. Especially in a mobile installation. Too many features to keep track of and too many complicated control schemes.
                      N4ZYV

1966 Mustang
                      1937 IH D2

Comment

• bigun
                        • Feb 10, 2003

I liked the little kenwood because it just velcroed to the dash cover and I could preset channels in it that way when I was traveling when I stopped for gas I would pull out the 3X5 cards I had prepaired before set in new freq. and be ready to go
                        charlie
                        KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• J10/J20 Project
                          360 AMC
                          • Mar 22, 2002

Hey All,
                          Sorry not to hijack the thread. But while on this subject I would like to know if any out there might know what I have? My father was into everything so I get to figure out what it all is and if worth keeping. I'm not sure what a Ham radio is.
                          What I have it is a
                          Knight Star Roamer
                          Allied Radio corporation. Chicago
                          Pic in my Misc folder.

Thank's
                          Paul
                          Paul<br /> 78 J10/J20 (NoHurry)<br />front 44H/D, rear 60FF<br />TH400/Dana 20<br />33 gal. custom gas tank<br /> 93XJ 3.5 RE, 31\'s,<br />30 locked<br />Dana 44 lsd<br /> 69 Sunbeam Alpine GT

Comment

• Rande
                            Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
                            • Jun 26, 2000

I checked your misc. pics but didn't see it there. Anyway, Knight was a kit maker. You would order the kit and assemble the radio yourself. Problem with that is, you never know who built it or how good a job they did. Its like buying a Heathkit radio. They're self assembled. They are good designs though. Knight kits were very popular. I used to have a Knight T-150A receiver and it was a great radio for a kit.

Here's a link with some info on it: http://www.dxing.com/rx/span.htm

Allied built ready made receivers under their own name.

[ December 30, 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Rande ]
                            N4ZYV

1966 Mustang
                            1937 IH D2

Comment

• J10/J20 Project
                              360 AMC
                              • Mar 22, 2002

Thanks Rande,
                              My dad was into all that as a kid so I would guess he built it and I would say he did nothing half a$$. He took pride in all that he did. I had a Heath kit mini bike as a kid this thing had 2 speeds and a big fat back tire.
                              Pics should be up now.
                              It has to be at least 40 years old maybe?
                              nice link thanks

[ December 04, 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: J10/J20 Project ]
                              Paul<br /> 78 J10/J20 (NoHurry)<br />front 44H/D, rear 60FF<br />TH400/Dana 20<br />33 gal. custom gas tank<br /> 93XJ 3.5 RE, 31\'s,<br />30 locked<br />Dana 44 lsd<br /> 69 Sunbeam Alpine GT

Comment

• bigun
                                • Feb 10, 2003

Well from pics you can tell it is a tube rig looks like some kind of all mode reciever
                                charlie
                                KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                                X