Thinking about buying a travel trailer, need advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coloradoluke
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 24, 2016

Thinking about buying a travel trailer, need advice.

So we are thinking of getting a travel trailer, most likely a 1995 Fleetwood Wilderness 24C which is for sale locally here in Victoria, BC. The owner states it is 24 feet, but all my research tells me it is 26 feet, I don't know if that matters.

Also it weighs 4270 pounds according to NADA guides.

It comes with a stout weight distributing hitch along with a sway bar, so all those bases are covered. And the hitch on my 1986 Grand Wagoneer is rated for 5000/10000. As well I have a fresh remaned 360 and transmission, and I added a big tranny cooler.

Anyway, what do you all think about the wagoneer towing it? I likely won't be going too far, usually within 50km. There is minor hills to our preferred camping area.

I drive commerically for a living so I am no stranger to keeping a good following distance (my understanding is that the brakes on grand wagoneers aren't the best). As well the trailer has good brakes.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Luke
  • ShagWagon
    350 Buick
    • Apr 10, 2016

Sounds good!

Seems like your ready.

When we going?
    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

What gears in your axles? 86 had optional 3.31's which IMHO are barely adequate for dragging 5000lb on flat ground. You won't like it on hills but doable. If you have the std 2.73 gears you'll hate towing 5000lb.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• 72jeeperjoe
        232 I6
        • Nov 08, 2016

Gearing does make a good difference, 3:31's are good but with 2:73's not so much. In my experience towing with a Wagoneer is good, gearing is the only thing I would look at beside some good brake pads/shoes! Sounds like a fun idea
        1983 Jeep Wagoneer-322,000 miles.
        1972 Jeep Wagoneer-360-auto-sold
        1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-One owner-64,000 original miles-Sold unfortunately
        1968 Jeep Gladiator, full Resto in progress
        1963 two door ifs one owner Wagoneer

Comment

• JeepJeepster
          350 Buick
          • Sep 04, 2014

Sounds like youve thought of everything already. Honestly youre going to be pushing that 5,000lb weight limit by the time you load up all of your camping gear.

Even with the weight distribution setup you'll be sagging pretty bad I imagine. Some sort of helpers in the rear (air bags?) would help stiffen up the rear.
          2004 Jeep Liberty
          1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
          1994 Jeep ZJ I6
          1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• chrism
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 07, 2002

What gears do you have and what size tires? I tow our 2005 Aerolite which is 27ft and weighs in at 4300 dry. I have 31" tires and 3.55 gears. It tows ok but leaves me wanting lower gearing on the hills.

I also wouldn't go much longer on the camper for our wheelbase. I feel like I'm pushing it at 27ft. Even with sway control and proper tongue weight I don't like it when the big trucks cruise by me or in high winds. We don't go very far though. I don't think I would want to take it on a cross country trip.
            1979 Cherokee
            1979 CJ-7

Comment

• coloradoluke
              230 Tornado
              • Jul 24, 2016

I am unsure what gears I have. But I will try to figure that out. As for tire size I have the stock 235 / 75 R15 size tires.

I've decided to go ahead and get the trailer, and then if I have to do something later on I will. But the trailer was such a good deal I just could not let it go, even if I end up having to regear, which I know is not cheap. But like I said, the trailer was a good deal so I am somewhat okay with having to put a little bit of money into the Jeep.

Thank you all for your advice and I will let you all know how it goes.

Cheers,
              Luke

Comment

• Mr Carts
                258 I6
                • Aug 22, 2011

Re gearing will run about $1k per axle plus the Posi for the rear which I would do if I was regearing.
                1980 Cherokee WT 360 TFI Contour Fan 727 208
                3.31 285/75X16 Duratrac's E rated

Comment

• coloradoluke
                  230 Tornado
                  • Jul 24, 2016

That is quite pricey, let hope I don't have to regear

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
                  Luke

Comment

• FSJunkie
                    The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                    • Jan 09, 2011

I towed 6800 pounds behind my Wagoneer once, and it was at 7000 feet above sea level where my engine only made 3/4 of the power it does at sea level. I had an equalizer, sway control, and electric brakes. I refuse to tow anything over 2000 pounds without those things.

I had a stock 360 2bbl and 3.31 gears and a Turbo-hydramatic 400. I accelerated about like the average loaded semi truck. People didn't like being behind me, but I got there. 0-45 miles per hour was ok, but trying to accelerate above that was a struggle. I screamed along in 2nd gear until I finally hit 60 MPH about 30 seconds to a minute from when I started from a standstill. At that point I upshifted to 3rd and held 60 MPH wonderfully, like I didn't even have a trailer...until a minor hill knocked me down to 55 MPH floored in 2nd gear again.

But that's altitude. At sea level my Jeep would go 0-60 in 11 seconds. Up here it's 16-18 seconds. The air is just so thin.

I could stop pretty well so long as my electric trailer brake controller was set right. Unlike all of you guys, I have 4-wheel manual drum brakes, so I am totally reliant on my trailer brakes. A traffic light turned on me suddenly and I had the controller set far too low by mistake. The trailer nearly shoved me through the intersection and nearly jackknifed, but I stopped. I reset the controller after that and did just fine. Even with better Grand Wagoneer brakes, you should have electric trailer brakes and a good controller. A heavy trailer will try to jackknife on you if it doesn't have brakes.

So other than being slow and having my trailer brakes set wrong, it handled quite well. No weird unsafe feeling. It tracked down the road quite nicely.

I'd say you're on the right track. 3.73 gears would be better, but 3.31 will do the job. You should definitely get electric brakes and an auxiliary transmission cooler. Stick to your equalizer and sway control like glue. Do not tow without them.
                    Last edited by FSJunkie; 07-16-2017, 01:24 AM.
                    '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

Working...
                    X