• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Advice for hard brake line flaring

This weekend I had to replumb my front hard brake lines (long story, don't ask). I bought a 8' length of double flared brake line for the passenger and went to work bending/installing it. Took me over an hour to get the bent and secured correctly.

Then when bleeding the brakes, it would not seal at the proportioning valve. I cranked it down harder and harder (no luck) until I stripped the nut. Yes I was using a flare wrench.

I don't want to replace that whole line. I want to chop a part off, get a male to male adapter and make a short "jumper" from the prop valve to the adapter. When I last did hard brake lines (in the 90's) I used a double flaring tool set from Naval Station San Diego's Auto Hobby shop but it kinda sucked.

Doing a quick search on the interwebs I see:
    https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Double-Fl...e+flaring+tool is their best seller and has decent ratings.
    I also see:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/double...kit-66534.html is a little cheaper but has terrible ratings.

My questions:
    A) general advice?
    B) Any better ideas?
    C) Tool ideas? Does anyone know if Oreilly, Crapa, Autozapper, have these as loaners?
    D) I know there are tool sets that are $200+ that I am sure would do a wonderful job but I don't have that kind of money to spend on my Jeep.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • ShagWagon
    350 Buick
    • Apr 10, 2016

I know you dont want to bend it over again... but wouldn't that be the best and right way?

And use the old one as a template?

Surely you can get er done in less than an hour the second run.
    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Dah! You sound like my conscience! stop it! Would probably be cheaper, too.

I FEEL SO CONFLICTED! Do it right or do it easy?!?!?
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Don't know about military "hobby shop" tools but the military usually buys quality tools for mil equip maint, but likely it's as good or better than either of those your links. Ones I've had were either from Sears or the local auto parts store. Nothing exotic or expensive. Think my current one came from Napa's bargain bin? I was taught way back(the 60's) the key to good flares is "cleanliness" as in no burrs or sharp edges to get nicked or rolled over. I always polish the flare with very fine emery cloth and clean thoroughly before installing. Have I ever had a fitting leak? Yup. Often?, No. In my case a leak was pretty much operator error. Flaring is sorta like crimping/soldering wires...takes practice. If you're just looking to scab in a short section, tubing is cheap, keep at it. Oh and with a properly done flare and quality fittings you should never have to put your arse into it to make the seal.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• KaiserMan
          I got the Willys....
          • Jun 21, 2005

Sounds like the line may have cracked when you flared it. I'd start all over. Do it right. That little section of line would bug the heck out of me.
          Thomas Russell
          1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
          1971 Gladiator
          J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
          1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• xabn82
            232 I6
            • Jan 01, 2016

Originally posted by joe
            Don't know about military "hobby shop" tools but the military usually buys quality tools for mil equip maint, but likely it's as good or better than either of those your links. Ones I've had were either from Sears or the local auto parts store. Nothing exotic or expensive. Think my current one came from Napa's bargain bin? I was taught way back(the 60's) the key to good flares is "cleanliness" as in no burrs or sharp edges to get nicked or rolled over. I always polish the flare with very fine emery cloth and clean thoroughly before installing. Have I ever had a fitting leak? Yup. Often?, No. In my case a leak was pretty much operator error. Flaring is sorta like crimping/soldering wires...takes practice. If you're just looking to scab in a short section, tubing is cheap, keep at it. Oh and with a properly done flare and quality fittings you should never have to put your arse into it to make the seal.
            What Joe said. I've got a set of "Ridgid" brand flaring tools and benders. They are Made in USA or Ireland. Buy more tubing with one end already flared. Just be patient, like what is being said, tubing is cheap. I built a Factory Five Cobra, took me a while to obtain a "factory looking" run of brake and fuel lines. Good luck
            1973 J4000

Comment

• chrism
              327 Rambler
              • Apr 07, 2002

A couple suggestions for you...
              I recently started using nicopp hard lines...easy to bend and easy to flare don't rot out. The local auto parts stores have started carrying it.

Also checkout inline flaring tools/kits. They work much better than the older type with the clamp.
              1979 Cherokee
              1979 CJ-7

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                304 AMC
                • Jul 25, 2016

i am not as mechanically skilled as most people on the forum

so, on a recent restoration of a GM car

i ordered all hard lines from in-line-tube company
                and they came pre bent, they were perfect

all fuel lines
                brake lines, etc
                and you can pay a little more and get stainless.
                the mechanic installing them loved them.

they have the patterns to almost any vehicle.
                and it comes with the correct coiled wire covering.

the cheapest thing in the whole restoration process
                and also one of the best quality items too

dave in NC
                SOLSAKS - dave
                1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                1982 J-10 Fleetside
                1988 grand wagoneer
                2004 RUBICON jeep
                Benson, NC

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by KaiserMan
                  Sounds like the line may have cracked when you flared it. I'd start all over. Do it right. That little section of line would bug the heck out of me.
                  I think I have a contaminant in there, maybe a metal shaving, pebble, or something like that. I concur (bug the heck out of me) but at that time the frustration of it not sealing after all the time I took to form it was greater than how much it would bug me. I just need a break to cool off for a bit, regroup, and do it right.
                  Originally posted by xabn82
                  What Joe said. I've got a set of "Ridgid" brand flaring tools and benders. They are Made in USA or Ireland. Buy more tubing with one end already flared. Just be patient, like what is being said, tubing is cheap. I built a Factory Five Cobra, took me a while to obtain a "factory looking" run of brake and fuel lines. Good luck
                  Patience if something I lack at times. Thanks, I need it (Good luck)!
                  Originally posted by chrism
                  A couple suggestions for you...
                  I recently started using nicopp hard lines...easy to bend and easy to flare don't rot out. The local auto parts stores have started carrying it.

Also checkout inline flaring tools/kits. They work much better than the older type with the clamp.
                  I'm pretty sure I bought NICCOP. Crapa had two types of pre-terminated lines, one looked like the regular zinc coated stuff and the other has a dark green coating on it. Dude behind the counter said the dark coated lines bend easier and last longer (2 important requirements for me) so I bought them. When I google'ed "NICCOP" images, I see lines that seem to match what I bought. The cost difference was negligible.

Just looked at the inline flaring kits. I have a little bit of room on my line so I think I am going to order one of those tool kits, cut the boogered end off, re-flare it, install a new nut, verify the female side (Prop valve) is clear of contaminants, and see how it comes out. Amazon has this one that is the correct size for my brake lines and is about the same cost as the brake line I have in there.

This particular tool seems to have good reviews and after watching a few videos on how to use inline flaring tools, this one seems to be worth the risk. If I make things worse with this tool, I'll go get another length of tube and re-bend the whole thing having only wasted some time and $10 on the tool.
                  Originally posted by SOLSAKS
                  on a recent restoration of a GM car
                  I ordered all hard lines from in-line-tube company
                  and they came pre bent, they were perfect

all fuel lines
                  brake lines, etc
                  and you can pay a little more and get stainless.
                  the mechanic installing them loved them.

they have the patterns to almost any vehicle.
                  and it comes with the correct coiled wire covering.
                  Copy that, Dave. I used those on a Falcon I built a few years back and loved them. After I read your post I did a quick search and could only find one company that had a kit for an 80 Cherokee WT and I assume they would fit my 79 but I am not sure enough to spend the $200 they were asking for the kit they had. Plus I have to finish this, this weekend or it will linger until after Christmas.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

A "patch" line will be or should be fine. We don't suffer from the brake line horrors other parts of the country do.

I removed the axle brake lines on my '68 Mustang a while back. All of them came right off, and still had brake fluid in them.
                    This car has been sitting for decades, and honestly I could reuse the lines if I wanted to. I won't be, but try that in the rust belt
                    Tony
                    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• J20 project
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 27, 2000

Just have to utilize a double flare tool.....practice helps though.

J20
                      BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                      775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• joe
                        • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by xabn82
                        I've got a set of "Ridgid" brand flaring tools and benders. They are Made in USA or Ireland.
                        Can't go wrong with Rigid for tubing or pipe tools. Quality stuff and not silly expensive.
                        joe
                        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• TexasJ10
                          360 AMC
                          • Jan 03, 2002

Cutting the tube evenly and duburring before flaring goes a long ways towards making a good flare and seal as well. Ridgid are great tools
                          * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
                          * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
                          . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
                          * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• J20 project
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 27, 2000

Maybe a bad question.....but.

Ya'll are making inverted, double flares....right?

J20
                            BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                            775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• tgreese
                              • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by rang-a-stang

This particular tool seems to have good reviews and after watching a few videos on how to use inline flaring tools, this one seems to be worth the risk. ...
                              This type of tool has worked well for me on steel and nicopp. I would not expect it to work well on stainless line ... too hard.
                              Tim Reese
                              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
                              X