• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x98boardwell
    232 I6
    • Aug 21, 2014

What fuel tank to use for LS swap.?

I have removed my old tank. Would like to have dual exhaust when done so removing the oem tank helped with room but unsure what I will use.

I need a baffled tank along with a lot higher pressure than before with the LS motor being fuel injected.

I've done some searching and it seems all the tanks are being installed in the back where the spare tire would be. Is this the only option or is there another solution similar to how the original tank was mounted but baffled and internal fuel pump..?

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks!!
  • x98boardwell
    232 I6
    • Aug 21, 2014

this is a possibility also..

Maybe just do this..

Tank

Strap Kit
    Get the Best Performance with RCI 17-Gallon Aluminum Fuel Cell Mount Fits 821-2172A x Fuel Cells 7515A parts at JEGS. Shop Now at the Guaranteed Lowest Price!

Would like to try and avoid eliminating the spare tire space.. don't really want it inside the rear of the vehicle.

Comment

• chrism
      327 Rambler
      • Apr 07, 2002

90's 2 Door S10 blazer fits nice between the frame rails where the spare tire used to go.
      1979 Cherokee
      1979 CJ-7

Comment

• 8man
        304 AMC
        • Jan 04, 2011

I'm using the stock tank with a cross over for the exhaust.

The stock tank doesn't have baffles, so I'm going with an electric pump that fills a quart size fuel filter, and I'm using the high pressure pump from that sump to the engine. I learned about it on the Early Bronco site. This is the site, http://www.bcbroncos.com/fuelcarb.html

In all fairness, I have not completed the build to give an accurate account of how it works, but the Bronco guys swear by this system.
        79 Cherokee S (current project)
        82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Woodchomper
          350 Buick
          • Dec 17, 2002

I used an aerotank in mine: http://www.aerotanks.com/vehicles/jeep.html
          The tank is baffled and you can use any submersible fuel pump that will fit. If memory serves me correctly, I paid a little extra to have double layer of metal on the bottom. I can't say I was overly impressed with the craftsmanship of the tank but it works. I wound up cutting off the front mounting bracket, moving it up towards the top of the tank and re-welding it back on. Whatever tank you get remember the sending unit has to work with your dash so you will need to order the proper resistance sending unit.
          1991 GW 401 /727TF/NP229 /4" Skyjacker /EBL TBI /CS-144
          1981 J10 401 /727TF/NP208 /6" Superlift /CS-144

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Why not just use the stock tank? 20 gal is 20 gal. You do not need an 'in-tank' fuel pump. That concept was just an assembly line time(money) saving manufacturing thing. Not better just cheaper. Run your stock tank and run an external elec pump that meets your needs.
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• itselliot
              350 Buick
              • Aug 28, 2010

FuelTank

Not wanting to hijack your thread,.....
              I am also looking into fueltanks with the same questions.....
              More fuel capacity and spare tire location...but in a J20 Pickup

I have "heard" that a full size Bronco tank would fit in place of the spare tire location....( I Know, what to do with the tire)?
              I do not know if a true dual exhaust system would fit alongside that , guessing it wont tho.
              If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
              [email protected]
              616 four 03 44 0 five
              '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
              "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
              '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

• x98boardwell
                232 I6
                • Aug 21, 2014

Thanks!

I like the idea of using stock tank with outside fuel pump. Probably should work fine with LS motor. That way will be a lot easier to set up. I can still do dual exhaust but would need to run down passenger side then over to drivers side for that pipe.

Regarding exhaust anyone have some experience or history with this task and best way to route..?

Thanks!

Comment

• joe
                  • Apr 28, 2000

Haven't had the need to do it but if I were I'd run both pipes down the pass side and just exit them side by side behind the wheel. Guess you could run a cross-over in the rear, but why?
                  joe

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

Are you planning on making this smog legal?

If so, I don't believe true dual exhaust will pass if you're using a truck engine.
                    Already going to be tight with the required dual converters up front etc.
                    Single 3" would be much easier from y-pipe to tailpipe. It'll sound just as good.

Definitely don't shell out $, or start building your exhaust until you know what the referee is expecting to see.

If not needed to be legal, I'd still just go with single.
                    Tony
                    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• x98boardwell
                      232 I6
                      • Aug 21, 2014

Thanks

Babywag,

Thank you. I am using a Corvette LS1 motor from 2000. Unsure what the difference is but I'm guessing you're referring to whether or not the original vehicle had it or not.

Thank you for chiming in and I will check before i build.

Comment

• joe
                        • Apr 28, 2000

If you're swapping a 2000 motor into a 199x or earlier car you will now have to meet 2000 smog specs, so do your homework "first".
                        joe

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by x98boardwell
                          Babywag,

Thank you. I am using a Corvette LS1 motor from 2000. Unsure what the difference is but I'm guessing you're referring to whether or not the original vehicle had it or not.

Thank you for chiming in and I will check before i build.
                          I'd call your referee for that area before you swap it in.
                          Some are not keen on a car engine in a truck.
                          He will tell you exactly if you can use/what will be needed to allow & pass it.
                          You may have to schedule an appt. and discuss in person.
                          Tony
                          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• x98boardwell
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 21, 2014

Yup

I will check with them. Never heard of a car motor in an SUV being an issue. I've been told if its a newer motor then I will have to pass emissions for that year/motor which in this case is simple.

I will double check to be sure and I appreciate the input.

Comment

• chrism
                              327 Rambler
                              • Apr 07, 2002

Run your pump in the tank unless you enjoy sitting on the side of the road. On average my inline pumps last 1.5 years. I carry a spare in the waggy now. You can also make them last a little longer if you keep the tank 1/2 full all the time. This is from experience. I can change out the pump in less than 10 minutes since I added quick disconnects.

My CJ which has an in tank pump has been rocking the same (cheap airtex) pump for 10 years straight.

Its possible to put a pump in the stock tank but the S10 tank fits very nicely between the frame rails in the rear and frees up a ton of space under the truck.
                              1979 Cherokee
                              1979 CJ-7

Comment

Working...
                              X