• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gstuartw1
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 05, 2021

What should I ask for my '88 GW?

I'm giving up on the hopes of restoring my badly aged '88 GW. It's essentially all there just sun bleached paint, wood grain etc and the interior baked by the heat has split. Mechanically it was running when I had to park it in the back yard and I guess the reason it won't start is that mice have gotten to the wiring. I put a new battery in it and turned the ignition and smelled smoke, not a sound. The OD reads an accurate 103K and the engine and trans were rebuilt at about 75K.

What do y'all suggest I try and sell this for?

My 88 GW
    Last edited by gstuartw1; 09-29-2022, 01:10 PM.
  • MysticRob
    350 Buick
    • Nov 26, 2019

Your link doesn't work, nor did you mention what kind of shape the frame is in. I bid 2000 quatloos.
    --Rob--
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• gstuartw1
      230 Tornado
      • Jul 05, 2021

Originally posted by MysticRob
      Your link doesn't work, nor did you mention what kind of shape the frame is in. I bid 2000 quatloos.
      The frame is in great shape. As my neighbor, a very wrench capable, and savvy car guy put it "This is all there, a great base for a restoration."

Sorry about the link, please try again.

Comment

• devildog80
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 13, 2022

Your bird in hand sounds like better than most find to start with on a rebuild.

Don't be discouraged, but get in there and start again, as you will have a nice truck to enjoy someday.

But.....if you really want it gone......

Went back and saw the pics on your link.

Holy Crap Batman, I wish my " '84 GW sitting in AZ desert for 18 years" was a 10th that good.

You must be delirious or something because you really really really......have a nice truck there to work with!
        Last edited by devildog80; 09-29-2022, 02:42 PM.
        '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Comment

• gstuartw1
          230 Tornado
          • Jul 05, 2021

Originally posted by devildog80
          Your bird in hand sounds like better than most find to start with on a rebuild.

Don't be discouraged, but get in there and start again, as you will have a nice truck to enjoy someday.

But.....if you really want it gone......

Went back and saw the pics on your link.

Holy Crap Batman, I wish my " '84 GW sitting in AZ desert for 18 years" was a 10th that good.

You must be delirious or something because you really really really......have a nice truck there to work with!
          I'm moving to Mexico and my residency status will not allow me to bring a US plated car in to the country nor can I import it in the condition it is in. I just don't have the time or the energy at this point in life and want someone who does to take the ball and run with it. Thanks for the kind words though!

Comment

• devildog80
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 13, 2022

How soon does it need to move, and what part of the country do you live? (EDIT - DOH.......forgot to check the top right corner of post)

This is sounding familiar.....
            Last edited by devildog80; 09-29-2022, 04:39 PM.
            '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Comment

• MysticRob
              350 Buick
              • Nov 26, 2019

Boy, that is a very original looking waggy, even down to the ignition coil condenser and vacuum lines. Everything looks straight, and your neighbor is right about it being a great candidate for a resto.

That said, it needs serious cosmetic work both inside and out pretty much everywhere. If you can get it running and driving you'll get more for it.
              I paid $1200 for mine and it wasn't running, though it was likely in similar shape to yours from a repair-cost perspective.

You have some different cosmetic problems than I had on mine, and you're in a high-population area, so hopefully you can get more than I paid.

If you're not already on some of the facebook wagoneer groups, join up, take more pics of the underside, and see what you get offered there. Quite a few people are clamoring for them these days, and I'm thinking of selling mine at this point.
              --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• devildog80
                327 Rambler
                • Apr 13, 2022

Honestly, that is a truck I would get running, and have no problem driving it as is for years and years and years!

Love the old trucks with some character showing

Comment

• gstuartw1
                  230 Tornado
                  • Jul 05, 2021

Originally posted by MysticRob
                  If you're not already on some of the facebook wagoneer groups, join up, take more pics of the underside, and see what you get offered there. Quite a few people are clamoring for them these days, and I'm thinking of selling mine at this point.
                  Interestingly I tried to list it on FB Marketplace and when choosing details about the vehicle such as year, make and model there was no Grand Wagoneeer option and I had to list it as a Jeep Cherokee. Strangely there are GW's listed although the name Grand Wagoneer is in all lower case in those ads. I can't figure it out, must be user error though.

Comment

• backroadin'
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 11, 2004

Wow, up here in the rust belt, that would be considered pretty mint. Cosmetic stuff and interior stuff is easy compared to rust repair.

Ultimately, nothing is worth more than someone is actually willing to pay for it, but you have a pretty solid rig there that just may not "look" like it to some. SHoot high and you might be surprised. Remember, you're not just selling a vehicle - you're selling a vintage classic vehicle that isn't made anymore. Prices are getting stupid, so don't give it away. Look around on the net to get an idea of what fairly solid fixer-uppers are going for.

Or, start a bidding war here........
                    1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• MysticRob
                      350 Buick
                      • Nov 26, 2019

Just to boost the price a bit I'd do some things that make it easier for people to make a purchase decision, like removing the destroyed headliners so everyone knows what shape the roof is in. And maybe take off the door sill scuff plates to take pics of the floor pans. Those 2 areas are typically pretty bad off, so knowing their condition will go a long way toward selling it quickly.

Also, fix whatever little electrical gremlins you can, like courtesy lights, etc. And the better your description of everything, the easier it'll be to sell, as it shows you're not trying to hide anything.

I say all that not knowing how desperate some people may be to get their hands on these awesome vehicles.
                      --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

Working...
                      X