• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheepy77to79
    230 Tornado
    • Dec 15, 2018

79 golden Eagle

Okay, My wife insisted that I relieve some stress, so I started a frame off restoration on a 79 golden eagle. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures so pics will come soon. Ive completely stopped it down and will send it out to be media blasted in a about a week. Then, it's off for some metal work on the hood, A pilar, and rear driver side window frame. I'm sure more rust will rear its head once it's blasted. I've never restored a car before and need some tips. I want to do this right! Should I have it dipped before the metal work or just primed? I have all numbers matching, but I want to sup up the engine. Will that hurt the value? If not, what should I do to get the most horsepower out of my 360? I also plan on rebuilding the transmission and transfer case. Are there any upgrades I should do there?

P.S.

My wife has no idea how much money I'm spending!!!
    Luke

1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle (Bessie)
    Currently being restored.

Prior owner 77 Cherokee Chief (Cheepy)
    Forever gone.

Bossier City, LA
  • SOLSAKS
    304 AMC
    • Jul 25, 2016

sounds like you are doing a thorough job.

i would ask the body shop what they prefer you to use to retard rust
    until it gets to them for work.

you will definately need something

....flash rust is quick, and will cost you time and money to remove.
    (not to mention heartache and more stress ! ha ha.)

best wishes on the build.

dave in NC
    SOLSAKS - dave
    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
    1982 J-10 Fleetside
    1988 grand wagoneer
    2004 RUBICON jeep
    Benson, NC

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Be careful! You don't want to get 1/2 through a build and have the wife loose her mind over what you have spent, then you have to bail on it. I am a firm believer in full disclosure to the better half.

These rigs are not the kind of rigs folks want "Numbers matching" or totally "factory correct". Generally speaking, the ones I see sell for the most are the ones that are totally driveable, minor mods here and there (maybe up to a 4" lift, upgraded radio, sound deadener, etc.), everything works (A/C, cruise, etc.), and a modern engine or 401. You see a lot of LS swaps and a few Hemi swaps. If you build your 360, build it so you can drive it every day. Put a better cam (but not crazy), intake, headers, etc. then top it with EFI. If you have deeper pockets, put in an LS or Hemi and a 4 speed auto. FSJs, in my opinion, are not good rigs to build for value. Build it to enjoy it.

The trans you have now is bulletproof if set up/rebuilt correctly. The transfer case is OK'ish. You will probably want to convert it to part time (with a mile marker kit) if it's not already. Parts for that case are getting hard to find (AMHIK). You may want to just bite the bullet and change trans/case. An AW4 is a good trans to swap in because it bolts to your 360. Then you get a good transfer case with it. You will probably need to swap your front axle to a driver's drop but that is not a big deal.

Here are some great builds (in my opinion) that you should catch up on.
      Originally wanted to do a frame off restoration with my son but he is just not that into cars like I have been since a kid. He will come out and help if asked, but this is clearly not his love and I'am good with that. My main goal with this build is to stave off rust and get the jeep back on the road as something that looks

A while back I dragged home this basket case with the intention of building it for my wife. A better candidate came along and I ended up building it with a 5.3LS for her daily driver. See the build here http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=185179 Some things I will do differently on the second build (His) : -Go

Hi folks. I bought this Cherokee Chief on 1-7-2016 as a project vehicle. The PO had the engine rebuilt, put it in the Jeep and stopped. The trans and tcase were out of the vehicle when I bought it. I decided to pull the engine back out, go through it a little and clean it up (paint). I got to a point that I needed to order a

Long story short...I was building the wife an '89 GW (Woody #1) when a much better candidate (Woody#2) landed in my lap. The plan is to get #1 (his) driveable while #2 (hers) get's an LS swap, paint and all the goodies. Both are blue 89's. EDIT: Some things I will do differently on the second build (His) : -Go with 3.73
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Cheepy77to79
        230 Tornado
        • Dec 15, 2018

Thanks! I've read up on these builds. My wife is on board for the build, "whatever the cost". I think I want to keep most of what came stock (meaning the engine, transmission and transfer case) and enhance the power as much as I can. This build is also about my aging grandfather who had a chief when I was a boy.

P.S.

Thanks for the therapy!

P.P.S.

I'm not sure you got my humor!
        Luke

1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle (Bessie)
        Currently being restored.

Prior owner 77 Cherokee Chief (Cheepy)
        Forever gone.

Bossier City, LA

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Sooooo..? Howzit goin?
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Cheepy79
            230 Tornado
            • Jul 06, 2020

I lost my login so I had to create a new handle. I have been posting my build the last few weeks. Cheepy79

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Ah! Copy that!
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
              X