• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billy Bob
    232 I6
    • Apr 01, 2004

Steering Part ID help PHULEEEEZE.....

I am replacing the steering gear box in Janies Honcho, she wanted to switch to a gear box out of a J-20 instead of the J-10.

I have always refered to the joint between the steering column and the geear box as a steering gear rag joint, but so far the idiots at Auto not go there Zone can't find anything.

Anyone have any ideas? The old one off the Honcho is a smaller diameter, and will not open up wide enough to fit on the input shaft of the gear box.

The other ? is this, if I do in fact find the correct joint for the gear box, will it fit the lower steering shaft of the J-10?

Thanks in advance.

Bill
    89 YJ "Cujo"

Rag Joint or Steering Coupler. However I do not think you can buy the complete coupler from Advance or the like. The only thing you can buy is the rag itself Lares Part# 200. Junk Yard or off the someone off the board. And once you get the correct coupler it will match up to the steering shaft. I find it odd that so many are having this trouble. I have swapped rag joints from steering box to steering box and not yet found a differance in them
    Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
    Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• DieselSJ
      304 AMC
      • May 19, 2003

BJ's has replacement rag joints.
      -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
      -99 XJ Limited.
      -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
      -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Billy Bob
        232 I6
        • Apr 01, 2004

Crap crap and double crap......

I wuz afraid of that. Thanks for the help Pete. Even if it is bad news.

Hell hath no fury like a woman who cant wheel her Honcho!
        89 YJ "Cujo"

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

From the 74-80 parts manual it's called: Flange, Steering Gear to Shaft.
          74-76 p/n 812 8405 and from 77-80 p/n 812 7966. That's the whole unit not just the rag.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• janie
            • Aug 11, 2001

Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman
            And once you get the correct coupler it will match up to the steering shaft.

Pete, I hope so, cuz that's another worry I'm having. Will the flange fit my current steering shaft.

I find it odd that so many are having this trouble. I have swapped rag joints from steering box to steering box and not yet found a differance in them
            Here's the coupler/flange out of Tequilla, 17 spline.

Here's my new J-20 box. 31 spline.

Elliott's been looking for us. We've contacted every parts store, including the local Jeep dealership. Nada.

Worse yet, Tequilla is supposed to leave here on Friday to have the front axle rebuilt. Obviously, with no steering we can't drive it.

Frustrating day for sure. If we can't find this flange, I'll have no choice but to take back the J-20 box and get one for a J-10.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• Elliott
              Cowboy Up
              • Jun 22, 2002

What's the chance that pin drives out so you can swap the splined sections?

Also there are only 17 splines on that rag joint flange, but more on the input it came off of, should be ~25.

Then, what did you mic that 31 spliner at, 0.625 or what?
              Last edited by Elliott; 08-18-2007, 04:27 PM.
              *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
              ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Ristow
                • Jan 20, 2006

i'm lookin' janie....i have that coupler you need,but finding it in the mess,after all the scrap hauls,may be tough...
                Originally posted by Hankrod
                Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Billy Bob
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 01, 2004

Originally posted by Elliott
                  What's the chance that pin drives out so you can swap the splined sections?

Also there are only 17 splines on that rag joint flange, but more on the input it came off of, should be ~25.

Then, what did you mic that 31 spliner at, 0.625 or what?
                  Mic'd @ .602

Spline count on the original shaft is 25

I will see if the pin will drive out. The splined sections appear to be of the same dimensions on the shaft
                  89 YJ "Cujo"

Comment

• Billy Bob
                    232 I6
                    • Apr 01, 2004

No such luck!

The shaft is larger on the new J-20 box, and the shear pin is larger as well. SO,...no go!
                    89 YJ "Cujo"

Comment

• Elliott
                      Cowboy Up
                      • Jun 22, 2002

.602 at the widest area?
                      *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                      ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jul 18, 2003

I ran into a problem like this when I swaped in my steering box. Its the large piston J20 style. But I think mine came off a hummer or something. Got it off ebay, rebuilt. But it had larger splines than my old box, my old rag joint coupler would not fit. Same problem your haveing. I ended up haveing to buy a U-joint at a local speed shop and had it welded to the steering shaft after I cut off the old rag joint part.
                        79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                        Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                        93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• Billy Bob
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 01, 2004

here are pics of the measurements

89 YJ "Cujo"

Comment

• Lindel
                            Perfesser of Jeepology
                            • Jun 15, 2000

Would on of Flaming River's steering shafts work? IIRC they use a u-joint, not the fabric/rubber coupler.
                            Jeep Grounds
                            RRV Homepage
                            Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                            1987 Grand Wagoneer
                            AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                            1999 Wrangler Sport
                            4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• Ristow
                              • Jan 20, 2006

i've looked everywhere. no dice.

y'know,gm used saginaw steering.maybe hit a boneyard,look at a K20.
                              Originally posted by Hankrod
                              Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

Working...
                              X