• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeepsAndGuns
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 18, 2003

Adding PCM controlled charcoal canister

So a little backstory, when I first bought my cherokee back in 03, it had caught fire under the hood, most everything on the right side of the engine compartment got burnt, including the charcoal canister. Back then I really had no idea what it was for, other than something for emissions. So since it was melted, I simply yanked it and the bracket out and tossed it in the trash.
    Fast forward to now. For the longest time my jeep would smell like gas when driving, sometimes strong. I would stop and look it over top to bottom for a fuel leak and found none. Never could figure it out.
    Few weeks ago I was checking the oil while the engine was hot right after I drove it, and I smelled gas, but could still find no leak. Then I saw the gas tank vent hose hanging down there, picked it up and taa daa, I found my source of the fuel smell. I had completely forgotten about that hose.
    Then I suddenly got worried, as it was simply dumping fuel vapors under the hood. Not good! I figure I better do something about this! I need to reinstall a charcoal canister to catch these vapors, so they can be sent into the engine and be burnt as fuel and not keep dumping them under the hood.

The stock fsj canister has too many connections and is made to be used with a carb and operated by a cto switch, not the best choice for fuel injection. I know the gm trucks used a canister too, and many of the 94-95 ones used a vacume switch/solenoid operated by the pcm to purge the canister. So off to the pull a part to find the required parts. All of the 7747 ecm era trucks simply had the canister connected to a ported vac nipple on the TB. I wasnt having any luck finding a 94-95 model, the ones I did find were stripped. Finally about halfway down the last row I found a 95 suburban. Had a good canister, and the ccp solenoid was still on it. Its bolted to a bracket that is held on by the same bolts as the t-stat housing. I grab the canister, the hard line running from the canister to the solenoid, and the solenoid and brakcet.

I come home and start searching for a place to mount the canister. The chevy canister is about twice the size of the fsj canister, and I just could not find a spot to mount it. It has only two connections, one from the tank, and another to the solenoid. So I need to find a suitable canister. I need one that is the same size as stock, so it can go in the same spot and use the factory bracket, and has only two connections. To save yall the time, I did lots and lots of searching, and found that a canister from a TJ wrangler fits the bill. Its the same size as stock, and has only two connections. Thanks to a member here, I got a stock canister mount to bolt back in my cherokee. I found a good used TJ canister on ebay buy it now for $0.99 and mounted it all up. The TJ canister fit perfectly. I mounted the ccp solenoid to a unused spot on the firewall near the right rear of the engine, and used the chevy hard plastic line and only had to trim mabey a inch off the length of it. Hooked the other end to a vac nipple on the engine. Now to wire it up. The pcm controlls the solenoid by supplying it with ground. So hook the pink wire on the solenoid plug to a switched 12v power supply. Stock chevy has it connecting to the same wire as the switched 12v that turns on the pcm, so I used that. Hook the other wire to pin F16 of the 7427 pcm.
    The easy part is done, now to turn on the controll in the bin file. My bin had the parameters in it for ccp controll, but were not active. Some parameters were at their max setting, some at their min setting, so I couldnt use them, as I had no clue what to set them to. So I needed to find a stock 7427 bin file that has the ccp controll active in it to copy the settings from. Well it turns out the same burb I pulled the solenoid from, also still had the pcm in it, and I got that while I was there so I could have a spare. BCC on it was BJYK. I checked the bin and the ccp flag was set! So I then proceded to open two instances of tunerpro and copied and pased every single ccp parameter from BJYK into my bin. I had to use two instances of tunerpro as BJYK is $0D, and the bin I am using is $0E. Otherwise, if you are running a $0D bin file, simply do the compare feature and you can copy the parameters that way. Dont forget to check the ccp controll flag to make them all active. I then changed a item on my datalog dash to show ccp dc and took it for a spin. Everything works great, and best of all, my jeep no longer smells like gas when I drive it!

Last edited by JeepsAndGuns; 03-11-2018, 06:07 AM.
    79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
    Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
    93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.
  • jaber
    Dragin Az
    • Oct 17, 2003

Great info. Just wish it applied to the 7747. I have this issue with the wifes, all emissions are gone.
    Jeff

'43 cj2a
    '51 Willys p/u
    '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
    '68 Panel Delivery
    '74 CJ5
    '75 J-20 Wrecker
    '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
    '77 J-10 p/u
    '79 Cherokee
    '88 Grand Wagoneer
    '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jul 18, 2003

Originally posted by jaber
      Great info. Just wish it applied to the 7747. I have this issue with the wifes, all emissions are gone.
      Just swap in a 7427!
      79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
      Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
      93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• jaber
        Dragin Az
        • Oct 17, 2003

LOL, I'm too lazy to want to re-tune it, its running like a top....
        Jeff

'43 cj2a
        '51 Willys p/u
        '68 Panel Delivery
        '74 CJ5
        '75 J-20 Wrecker
        '77 J-10 p/u
        '79 Cherokee
        '88 Grand Wagoneer
        '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• FSJ Guy
          • Mar 20, 2005

Good to hear! I installed a charcoal canister the old way, but it still didn't solve my gasoline smell on hot days. :-(
          Ethan Brady
          1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Bill USN-1
            258 I6
            • Nov 11, 2006

Why wouldn't it apply to the 7747?
            Bill USN-1
            Fuel Injection Moderator at BinderPlanet
            Hamilton Fuel Injection
            75 scout XLC 345/727/JPD300/3.73's/33's/4wdisc/hydroboost/EFI/OBA/OBW
            1977 Innocenti 1001 (Italian Mini)EFI 1275/DIS

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jul 18, 2003

Originally posted by Bill USN-1
              Why wouldn't it apply to the 7747?
              Because the 7747 does not support CCP controll.

Comment

• Bill USN-1
                258 I6
                • Nov 11, 2006

The 7427 doesn't have WB O2 input from the factory either but you use that don't you? Aren't you using the EGR patch to allow you to use the 0-5v input from the WB?

There are many ways to do what we want to do.

The 7747 does have air bypass control that used a solenoid.
                Many canisters use a simple solenoid to control the purge.
                A lot of engines running the 7747 also ran a CCP system but did not use a sloenoid to control them. They simply ran a CCP valve connected to a thermal switch and direct to vacuum.
                You can see the system in the vacuum diagrams for a 86-88 astrovan in the troubleshooting section on autozone.com
                The manual purge valve is sold at autozone for a simple connection.

To use solenoid control.......

There are 2 basic Air Divert parameters in the 7747.
                One for temp enable and one for Map.

So a simple set up could be to connect the canister purge line to the ported vacuum port on the TBI. Use a small inline restriction with something like a .040-.060 hole in it to limit the amount sucked in at any one time.

Set the temp enable so it only purges when warm, that's normally when you have the most vapors anyway, right?
                Then set the map parameter to something off idle but not WOT so you still have vacuum in the ported vacuum. But will still be in closed loop so the O2 can adjust while burning vapor.

say about 60 map.

Then just connect the air divert solenoid wire to the CCP solenoid.

Now when you drive the system will purge the vapors automatically when engine is up to temp and you are cruising down the road.

There may be something I overlooked but this is how i am installing it on my 1979 scout that had a CC and I want to do the complete install to still look like the factory carb setup and still be functional.

The solenoid used can either be the style in the canister like used on many vehicles or use an inline EGR style solenoid with your factory jeep CC.
                Theat way there aren't any other parts you need to buy.

I can show you the parts i am using if you would like.
                Last edited by Bill USN-1; 07-10-2012, 08:43 AM.
                Bill USN-1
                Hamilton Fuel Injection

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jul 18, 2003

Good info to have in this thread for those still running the 7747. The way you have it set up there looks like a good way to retrofit ccp into a 7747 vehicle.
                  When I was at the junkyard looking for the ccp solenoid and canister, all the 7747 year range trucks simply had the canister hooked directly to a ported vac fitting on the TB.

And yes, I am running the WB into the pcm with the egr hack.

Comment

• jaber
                    Dragin Az
                    • Oct 17, 2003

Bill, again, you are awesome. I will be looking into this.

THANK YOU!!!!
                    Jeff

'43 cj2a
                    '51 Willys p/u
                    '68 Panel Delivery
                    '74 CJ5
                    '75 J-20 Wrecker
                    '77 J-10 p/u
                    '79 Cherokee
                    '88 Grand Wagoneer
                    '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Bill USN-1
                      258 I6
                      • Nov 11, 2006

always happy to help.

Keep in mind...
                      if for some reason you are trying to run a CCP but not an EGR then you can just use the EGR solenoid and settings to do the same thing.
                      But, IIRC the EGR requires a VSS input to turn on. May be able to set it to 0mph tho.
                      Bill USN-1
                      Hamilton Fuel Injection

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jul 18, 2003

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                        Good to hear! I installed a charcoal canister the old way, but it still didn't solve my gasoline smell on hot days. :-(
                        Do you still have yours hooked up with a cto switch and ported vac?
                        Since your running a 7427, you should try hooking it up and running it with the pcm. When it sucks vapors it can play with the blm's some, when the pcm controlls it, its expecting the extra fuel/vapor.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                          • Mar 20, 2005

What CTO switch? IIRC, it's just hooked to ported vacuum to give it the purge signal on light-medium acceleration.
                          Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Jul 18, 2003

I wasnt sure how the stock system was hooked up. Do you have yours set up to where the ported vac pulls from the canister, or the ported vac opens the little valve on the canister to let normal vaccume pull from the canister? Just curious.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                              • Mar 20, 2005

Good question. I don't remember. I'll have to go look sometime this weekend....
                              Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

Working...
                              X