• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Benandjoesdad
    232 I6
    • Jun 29, 2017

258 valve cover (1982)

Just bought this one from BJs...should have asked first but here goes...before I dig in any experience as a direct fit for an 1982 258. I do not like the idea of drilling and tapping the head to make it fit...especially when the motor is in the truck. There is
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Swapping an 82 plastic valve cover to an alum cover, modifications are part of the deal.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Benandjoesdad
      232 I6
      • Jun 29, 2017

That

Comment

• FSJunkie
        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
        • Jan 09, 2011

A properly installed plastic valve cover is better than an poorly installed aluminum valve cover.

My Eagle came to me with an aluminum valve cover poorly installed. Several of the bolts were not installed because the threads in the head could not be properly tapped. The rest were cross-threaded or threaded in crooked. All this because the person who installed it could not get their drill and/or tap aligned properly to the head.

I corrected all that when I rebuilt the engine. I properly drilled and tapped the holes.
        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

AFAIK there are no options for those heads other than the aftermarket aluminum cover that requires drilling of the head, and the original plastic valve cover.

You could switch to the '80 or earlier head, which uses a stamped steel valve cover, or convert to a 4.0L head that comes with a cast aluminum cover. The 4.0L head will give you somewhat better performance, but it requires quite a bit of conversion.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Originally posted by tgreese
            AFAIK there are no options for those heads other than the aftermarket aluminum cover that requires drilling of the head, and the original plastic valve cover.

You could switch to the '80 or earlier head, which uses a stamped steel valve cover, or convert to a 4.0L head that comes with a cast aluminum cover. The 4.0L head will give you somewhat better performance, but it requires quite a bit of conversion.
            Just a sub note in case it was missed. The earlier head needs to be swapped for the valve cover to work.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Benandjoesdad
              232 I6
              • Jun 29, 2017

Struggling with this a bit. Getting some rocker rub at the very back vertical surface of the cover. Only solution I can see is to try and thin the wall. All screw hold are tapped and line up fine. Am I the only that has seen this?

Comment

I've never had one of the conversion valve covers, but I recall there always being a boatload of room between the rear of my covers and the firewall. Have you checked all your motor/trans mounts? If the trans mount is a little squishy, it may be tilting the engine toward the firewall more than normal.

aa
                1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Benandjoesdad
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 29, 2017

Clarification...the interference is inside the valve cover with the rocker arm coming into contact with the very back inside of the cover.

Comment

Aaahhh, that makes way more sense. There are spacers available (http://www.hesco.us/products/7758/va...pacer-hesi6vcs for one) but I wouldn't think you'd need one? Have you tried contacting BJs?

Do you have the rockers with the threaded piece on top for the old plastic cover? Those will interfere for sure.

aa
                    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Benandjoesdad
                      232 I6
                      • Jun 29, 2017

Got it installed..so far no leaks. Had to shave the inside vertical surface. We will see.

Comment

When the one on my ‘81 Eagle Wagon did that, it was the pushrod was slightly bent or the rocker was off center.
                        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                        X