• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ozmiander
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 22, 2007

Dead cluster in 85 GW

I just picked up an 85 GW and all the gauges are dead in the dash. The lights work fine as well as the seatbelt warning lamp. The ammeter, oil, coolant 4wd light and fuel are all dead however.

I went over the fuses with the multimeter and they seem fine. The pcb in the rear doesn't seem to have any breaks in it either. What in the world should i be looking for next?
  • FSJ Guy
    • Mar 20, 2005

The rectangular component on the back is the voltage regulator. They can go bad. It supplies all the electric gauges, IIRC.
    Ethan Brady
    1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Ozmiander
      230 Tornado
      • Nov 22, 2007

The five pin connector with two wires in it? I also have an unconnected four pin connector just sitting loose in the dash, heh.

Comment

• 1jeep4me
        350 Buick
        • Jun 27, 2001

good info here have any pics???/
        Jenny SOLD
        1982 Cherokee Chief Wide Track
        4 inch lift
        360 ci Edelbrock carb and intake
        Daisy
        1970 Wagoneer by Kaiser
        350 Buick/Turbo 400
        3.73:1 Limited slip
        41K original miles
        Lilly
        SOLD your a good girl LILLY!
        1973 Commando by Jeep
        304 2V 3:73 Limited Slip
        3 Speed
        93K original miles

Comment

• Billygoat
          304 AMC
          • Mar 16, 2004

Lots of loose connectors behind the dash unless you have all the options....
          The dash has a large gray plug, since the dash lights work - and the (turn signals?) then that is plugged in, there is also a flat connector up behind the fuel - I don't recall the but I think it is 3 plugs but has room for 5???

Fuel, Temp, and Oil are all powered off the voltage regulator, so that could be it, or each 1 could be the sending unit - also loosen/tighten each nut to make sure you have good contact.

Ammeter could be bypassed - large yellow and red wire should be 1 each on the post - common bypass is to put both on the same post - larger that stock alternator?

4x4 light is seperate, if the bulb is ok then the t-case switch could be bad.

Comment

• Ozmiander
            230 Tornado
            • Nov 22, 2007

Well, i pulled the cluster again just to see if missed anything:

Looks like i need to spend more money, lol.

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by Ozmiander
              I also have an unconnected four pin connector just sitting loose in the dash, heh.
              The four pin connector brings the ground to the whole cluster, above the ammeter.

I added an extra ground wire to one of the screws that hold the pcb bord to the cluster.

The fuel gauge has a built in 5v voltage supply to the gauges, so if there is no voltage, the gauges will not work -except the ammeter, that as said need to be bypass to prevent Jeep BBQ-

As for the missing part, it is socket for the heater control lightbulb, there should be another one below, but if you check,it couid be hanging in the wire mess, look for the orange wires.
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
              X