International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Other

Old 07-10-2000, 12:07 PM

Thumbs up

I finally figured out what that "fader" switch does! My radio is actualy decent now! How many others have this 'amp'?

------------------
83 Wagoneer.... um... thats all
Old 07-10-2000, 12:30 PM
Grease Monkey

Wink

What does it do?

------------------
Baker
'84 Grand Wagoneer "B.U.F.F" (Big Ugly Fat... um...Fellow)
360,727,229, 44 & 20 (3.31s), 30x9.5
If you don't know what all those numbers mean, you shouldn't be here.
Old 07-10-2000, 01:43 PM

Smile

It is like a mini amplifier for the radio! Neat huh? It is a stock option!
Old 07-10-2000, 03:50 PM

Wink

ummmm.....being a stereo buff as well as a lifer FSJ fanatic, I wonder how many speakers you have in your rig. Not to sound to simple, and forgive if I do, if you only have two speakers on a 4 channel stereo, the "fader" controls the amount of sound heard thru either the front or rear speakers... hence "fade to front" or "fade to rear". You may still have 4 speakers and hear music thru all of them... but, if wired wrong, the fader my give you this effect. It's not a factory amp (as far as I know by name)...just a control feature (built-in resistor).

Some of the newer head units have "loud" buttons that can amplify and other have a noise control feature built in to them... when things get loud.. the unit gets louder and just the same when it gets quiet the unit auto adjusts.
------------------
TJ
78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
360/TH400/QT
Dana 44's w/ 3.54's (soon to be 4.88's)
7" SOA conversion
4" Skyjacker Softride
3" Trailmaster Bodylift
33x12.50's on 15x10's
(soon 38.5x14.50's on 12's)
My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
"Where there's a hill...there's a way!"

[This message has been edited by River Beast (edited July 10, 2000).]
Old 07-10-2000, 09:52 PM
FSJ Maniac

Cool

Yea RB is right Skye. Think of that fader button as the right and left speaker button except it works to control the sound coming from the front to back speakers.

Lets say you want to jam up front but you don't want to blast the kid's ears out, just fade the sound to the front speakers and everyone is happy. That's if it's wired properly.

Have a good one and rock-on.

------------------
My Home Page IFSJA Sticker
83 Wagoneer Brougham, AMC 360, Chrysler 999 Auto, NP 229 Txfr, F/Diff Dana 44F, R/Diff AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder's, Rancho RS 9000's, 2" rear blocks.
Old 07-10-2000, 11:56 PM

Red face

I'll have to check that out.

I just wonder why the fader has a light when it is activated. Kinda like it has it's own power source.

Does anyone else have this knob? It is located below the AC controls near the 4wd/2wd switch.

------------------
83 Wagoneer.... um... thats all
Old 07-11-2000, 06:10 AM
Master Mechanic

Wink

Hmm.. sounds like you have something else goin on there.. the traditional "fader" talked about on a car type stereo does refer to "fading" the sound from the front to the rear speakers. As a professional live sound engineer, we use the term "fader" do describe several things, two of them being the "slider\fader" that you see on the bottom of a sound console (if you ever walked up behind the sound guy at a show or seen a big board)and even lighting professionals refer to theyre boards as having faders. so the term can apply to somethint as simple as a pot(variable resitor)that is used as a volume control, or dimmer control, and many other things.. sounds to me like you may have an extra amplifier somewhere and possibly more speakers, and this "fader" is a control to "add" the output of these additional components to the mix as it were. This is often a problem when the four speaker outputs are already being used to run 4 speakers, and someone wants to tap into the rear channels for instance and run them to an additional amp. In that case you might use a "fader" or trim pot to adjust how much signal is getting to that stuff.. My Wagoneer came with an AM\FM signal booster under the dash with a little red light on it.. (although it doesnt help my reception much hehe). so good luck hope this helps.. i would dig around and start following wires. try to see if you have more than just the stock 4 speakers.. or a hidden power amp..

------------------

88 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
AMC 360
TF 727
NP 229 (Funky)
Bone Stock (for now)
NO RUNNING BOARDS!
Old 07-11-2000, 07:45 PM
FSJ Maniac

Cool

You sure do have something else going on there. A common fader is located usually on the face of the radio itself. Does your knob look like OEM or after market?

------------------
My Home Page IFSJA Sticker
83 Wagoneer Brougham, AMC 360, Chrysler 999 Auto, NP 229 Txfr, F/Diff Dana 44F, R/Diff AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder's, Rancho RS 9000's, 2" rear blocks.
Old 07-12-2000, 12:00 AM

Smile

Totaly OEM. Same material used to make AC box, same knobs as on AC/radio.

As soon as I get some film, I'll take a pic of it. Wierd eh?
Old 07-13-2000, 06:44 AM
DLyons

Talking

Just thought I'd let you know that the fader in question is factory. After reading this thread, I did some searching and found a picture of one on another tech page. Next I went to the local salvage yard and found an 82 Wagoneer limited with this on it. I removed the fader switch and wiring and amp(yes Amp). The amp is bolted to the back of the dash to the right of the glove compartment. Heres the funny part, the amp has Ford stamped on it. Anyway, I installed the setup in my Jeep and my old Audiovox has never sounded better.

------------------
DLyons
84 Grand Wagoneer
360 (401 someday)
Always Under Construction
Old 07-13-2000, 08:11 AM

Wink

I'll say Thanks for everyone... especially Skye. This thing has been bugging me since I read it. Now Skye can rest easy... as everyone else. This is one of those things that the forum is great for! Thanks again for the info...

Is this thing kinda like a generic amp with hi imputs from the deck outputs? And how many channels does it support??? Just a couple of things that I would like to know for personal knowledge, since your ripped one out of a boneyard... thought I'ld ask ya....

------------------
TJ
78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
360/TH400/QT
Dana 44's w/ 3.54's (soon to be 4.88's)
7" SOA conversion
4" Skyjacker Softride
3" Trailmaster Bodylift
33x12.50's on 15x10's
(soon 38.5x14.50's on 12's)
My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
"Where there's a hill...there's a way!"
Old 07-13-2000, 09:38 AM
DLyons

Lightbulb

Since I saved the wiring, the outputs plugged right into the factory speaker leads behind the glovebox. It only has two inputs: right+ and left+. The speakers share a common ground. I then hooked the 12v lead to the same hot wire as the radio. That's about it. The fader housing was even the same color as my interior. I have no idea how many watts it has but it does boost the output. I could have the same result with a store bought amp but I'm cheap and I like having something different. That's why I drive a FSJ.

------------------
DLyons
84 Grand Wagoneer
360 (401 someday)
Old 07-13-2000, 09:46 AM
DLyons

Wink

Hey RB, Sorry I got to babbling on my last post and didn't answer your questions.
Yes it is high level inputs.
It has two channels in and four channels output.
Hope this answers your questions.

------------------
DLyons
84 Grand Wagoneer
360 (401 someday)