International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Other

Old 07-02-2000, 06:08 PM

Talking

im about done messing with the carter 2bbl piece of crap on my grand wag.very soon il probably go ahead and swap on a motorcraft. are there any other six cyl nuts here that have done it? for those that arent familiar with the six,the throttle pulls straight down on the carb. the rod for the throttle pressure valve is attached to the bottom of this goofy linkage,so its not as easy as with a manual tranny,where all you have to do is make a new throttle cable bracket to pull backward on the motor craft.
the options are:1)modify the throttle arm on the motor craft 2) some sort of little bellcrank to convert the vertical motion f the stock linkage to horizontal movement on the motorcraft, or 3) replace the whole linkage with a different bracket and use a cable to operate the throttle pressure valve or 4)someone could give scott a t18a out of an 80 and up cherokee so he could nor have to worry about it. well,that last one was worth a shot anyway.

i have yet to decide which of these methods would be most effective,so id be interested in hearing anyone elses thoughts...

hope fully not everyone on this forum has a v8 under the hood!

------------------
scott
85 grand wagoneer
258/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/amc 20
38x15.5 gumbo mudders
snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd

[This message has been edited by scotty (edited July 03, 2000).]
Old 07-03-2000, 05:46 AM
Third Member

Lightbulb

I've never actually seen this engine in a FSJ, but it's my favorite engine for a CJ. Smooth and plenty of torque!

Since the carb mod you're talking about is going to cost you some cash anyway, why don't you instead put in an Offenhauser manifold and Weber 2-bbl carb? This is a sweet combination for a CJ, so I'm sure it would make your big Jeep run a lot better, too.
Old 07-03-2000, 08:21 AM

Smile

actually,ive got a couple of carbs i could use,so its only going to cost me a $20 adapter. ill probably go to a weber or a small 4bbl,if i can find a manifold,but not for this engine.over the winter im going to build a stroker,and ill need the manifold to fit the 4.0 head. does the offy manifold/weber come with auto shift linkage? or do i spend $300-$400 on a carb and intake and am left with the same problem?ive had webers on some german cars,and seen a few on samis,toyotas,and stuff,but ive never talked to someone who had one on a jeep.do you have this setup in your cj? how do you like it?ever had any trouble?

alot of the guys here run the motorcraft 2bbls on their 258s,and ive been impressed with how they run.ive also had alot of experience with the motorcraft from the old fords i used to play with before i got into 4 wheeling.unfortunately,just every one ive ever looked at has had a manual tranny.id been hlding out on the carb swap until i found a manual tranny,but im getting really tired of the carter.

im pretty set on keeping a six,i just want to make it alittle more reliable.

thanks for the input.

------------------
scott
85 grand wagoneer
258/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/amc 20
38x15.5 gumbo mudders
snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd

[This message has been edited by scotty (edited July 03, 2000).]