International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-20-2019, 09:12 AM
230 Tornado

NEWBIE INTRO and questions!

Hey everybody!
Been lurking for a long time while I searched for a GW. Been tinkering with land cruisers and 4runners most of my adult life but the wife was always dying for a Wagoneer and I really was intrigued by them the more I read about them. I'm finally at a stage in my life where I could spend a little bit more money up front and buy a project that was nearly finished instead of the other way around but it still needs some love. It's a 89 with 155k, engine replaced 5k miles ago, new paint, new wood grain, completely new interior, tons of other work done to it but the carb was original so guess what died the first week I had it.

Thankfully I'm a service consultant at a GMC dealership and I've got a tech that's willing to work on it(most techs now days are very divaish!) So he's talked me into ordering the FI Tech 4 barrell fuel injection kit, with electric fuel pump, HEI distributor, Edelbrock intake manifold etc.

So few questions from everything I observed so far. Read up a good bit on the fuel injection but any good tips before we tackle this in a few days?

The rear window works fine with the tailgate switch but only up with the dash switch. I've ordered a new dash switch but has anyone run into this?

My biggest issue though is it has a water leak in the driver front floorboard under hard rains. The p.o. replaced the weatherstripping around the driver door but still leaking. The windshield seal appears to be good and looks like an original windshield. Any common areas to check there??

Thanks and super happy to finally be in the GW club!

Pix to come soon.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:53 AM

Common cause for wet soggy front floors is the the drains for the kick panel vents get plugged up with fir needles etc and overflow onto the floor.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM
230 Tornado

Ok, strange. How do you go about accessing those?
Old 05-20-2019, 01:21 PM
350 Buick

You take the covers and doors out. Just two screws on each one. AC gets in the way on the right.

The door assemblies are glued in with black tar-like caulk.

If you have a shop vac you might get away with snaking the hose down through the cowl vent to get the big stuff then hose it out.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:30 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

alot of folks use the Howell Fuel TBI setup, very dependable and easy to troubleshoot, may run it with a MSD ignition box which are well known for reliability ( if you choose to go that route - tell the howell folks about your MSD plans as there is a special circuit board in the wiring harness that needs to be installed)

Both are very DIY friendly to install

Steve

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 05-21-2019, 11:40 AM
258 I6

I just put a Fitech 2 barrel on my truck. I have an HEI distributor and you can not use timing control with the HEI which is a good thing to know. Another good thing to know is there have been problems with the fuel command center.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:17 AM
230 Tornado

Thanks for the heads up! Fuel pump not coming in until Friday night so probably won't get started on it until late next week.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:11 PM
350 Buick

If you go with the 2 barrel you dont need to change the intake manifold and it gets better gas mileage.
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 05-23-2019, 09:10 PM
232 I6

I had problems with the fitech inline fuel pump. I would go in tank if it's not to late. The duraspark distributor, with very little modification, can be made to work with timing control.