International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 01-02-2019, 07:13 PM
230 Tornado

79 golden Eagle

Okay, My wife insisted that I relieve some stress, so I started a frame off restoration on a 79 golden eagle. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures so pics will come soon. Ive completely stopped it down and will send it out to be media blasted in a about a week. Then, it's off for some metal work on the hood, A pilar, and rear driver side window frame. I'm sure more rust will rear its head once it's blasted. I've never restored a car before and need some tips. I want to do this right! Should I have it dipped before the metal work or just primed? I have all numbers matching, but I want to sup up the engine. Will that hurt the value? If not, what should I do to get the most horsepower out of my 360? I also plan on rebuilding the transmission and transfer case. Are there any upgrades I should do there?

P.S.

My wife has no idea how much money I'm spending!!!
Old 01-03-2019, 09:11 AM
327 Rambler

sounds like you are doing a thorough job.

i would ask the body shop what they prefer you to use to retard rust
until it gets to them for work.

you will definately need something

....flash rust is quick, and will cost you time and money to remove.
(not to mention heartache and more stress ! ha ha.)

best wishes on the build.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 01-03-2019, 01:22 PM
304 AMC

Be careful! You don't want to get 1/2 through a build and have the wife loose her mind over what you have spent, then you have to bail on it. I am a firm believer in full disclosure to the better half.

These rigs are not the kind of rigs folks want "Numbers matching" or totally "factory correct". Generally speaking, the ones I see sell for the most are the ones that are totally driveable, minor mods here and there (maybe up to a 4" lift, upgraded radio, sound deadener, etc.), everything works (A/C, cruise, etc.), and a modern engine or 401. You see a lot of LS swaps and a few Hemi swaps. If you build your 360, build it so you can drive it every day. Put a better cam (but not crazy), intake, headers, etc. then top it with EFI. If you have deeper pockets, put in an LS or Hemi and a 4 speed auto. FSJs, in my opinion, are not good rigs to build for value. Build it to enjoy it.

The trans you have now is bulletproof if set up/rebuilt correctly. The transfer case is OK'ish. You will probably want to convert it to part time (with a mile marker kit) if it's not already. Parts for that case are getting hard to find (AMHIK). You may want to just bite the bullet and change trans/case. An AW4 is a good trans to swap in because it bolts to your 360. Then you get a good transfer case with it. You will probably need to swap your front axle to a driver's drop but that is not a big deal.

Here are some great builds (in my opinion) that you should catch up on.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=183237
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=186511
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178154
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=185179
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 01-05-2019, 07:53 AM
230 Tornado

Thanks! I've read up on these builds. My wife is on board for the build, "whatever the cost". I think I want to keep most of what came stock (meaning the engine, transmission and transfer case) and enhance the power as much as I can. This build is also about my aging grandfather who had a chief when I was a boy.

P.S.

Thanks for the therapy!

P.P.S.

I'm not sure you got my humor!