• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lanierboy
    258 I6
    • Apr 25, 2000

Patching holes in roof left by old rack

My roof-rack was in rough shape so I pulled it off. Unfortunately, that left a bunch of 1/2" holes in the roof of my car. Temporarily I've plugged them with plastic plugs but, I'd like a more permanent solution. Is this something a body shop can do cheaply? I'm eventually going to get it painted anyway.

------------------
    1987 GW "Global Warmer"
    AMC360 / NP229 / TF727
    1987 GW <b>\"Christine\"</b><br />AMC360 / NP229 / TF727<br />Holley Projection 2bbl<br />TFI Ignition upgrade<br />MSD Ignition<br />Skyjacker 4\" Spring lift<br />GoodYear Workhorse 31/10.5<br /><a href=\"http://members.home.net/lanierboy/\" target=\"_blank\">My Web</a>
  • Ralph
    Third Member
    • Apr 11, 2000

Start by taking out your headliner.

Then you can patch the holes with solder or body putty, using a good backing material. Let's call this the cheap way.

Or you can do it the right way and have small pieces of sheetmetal welded in, grinded smooth, prepped with body putty and primer, then paint the entire roof panel.
    We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

• JERRY88GW
      232 I6
      • Jun 09, 2000

I agre with Ralph.

The right way would be to weld the holes up, sanding, bondo, more sanding and paint.

Or you could get a fiberglass filler.

Comment

• fishermike
        232 I6
        • Jun 18, 2000

Considering how much our roofs flex, as well as expand and contract with temperature changes, do it right (welding) or you'll probably have a leaky roof after a couple of seasons. A major PITA, especially if you've repainted by then!
        -Mike<br />\'85 GW <br />360/727/229/44/20/3.31<br />Flowmaster<br />\'98 Grand Cherokee<br />Loaded<br />\'86 Samurai<br />no top, no doors...

Comment

Working...
        X