• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MtnNate
    232 I6
    • Aug 26, 2001

Who drives on welded spider gears?

I've heard people who've actually welded thier diffs who like it a lot. I've heard people who really don't like it too.
    I'll be driving on the street and want to hear from people who've done this.
    Mainly I want to lock it up for Moab. A local shop here said they have done it for a few guys with no beefs. He said it all depends on tire size and driving habits.
    79\' Wagoneer 70k original!<br />SOA/33\'s/AMC360/TH400/QTw/Lo <br />My NEW Wag pics: <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/mtnnate/Jeep\" target=\"_blank\">www.geocities.com/mtnnate/Jeep</a>
  • WillyPete
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 03, 2001

i like it. it chirps going around corners, but it's worth it for the offroad stuff.

Comment

• KYJ10
      360 AMC
      • May 05, 2002

I put a locker in the rear and welded the front. But I have lockout hubs, so I guess that doesent help you. I like mine alot though. Alot cheaper than a locker. But with the QT case, I would think the front would be a steering nightmare. Never done the back. Sorry
      Starting to miss the addiction!

Comment

• Agent Orange
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 30, 2001

It's a nice inexpensive option, but it's not great as a daily driver. I have detroits in the front and rear and it's hard to pull out into traffic without losing a lot of tread. Also, if you drive it in the winter, you'll have a hell of a time on ice and slippery conditions.
        Jon Ellis<br />80 Cherokee WT, 401, SOA, Dana 44s with 4.56 and detroits, 35x14.5 Mickey Bajas, Durabak inside and out<br />77 CJ7 304, 4.10, Lock-right, 35x12.5

Comment

• MtnNate
          232 I6
          • Aug 26, 2001

Hmmm... looks like I might just stay open 'till I can afford an OX locker. It snows a lot in Utah. The Greatest Snow On Earth!
          79\' Wagoneer 70k original!<br />SOA/33\'s/AMC360/TH400/QTw/Lo <br />My NEW Wag pics: <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/mtnnate/Jeep\" target=\"_blank\">www.geocities.com/mtnnate/Jeep</a>

Comment

• blt2krl
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Apr 03, 2001

Weld it up man and don't look back. I have a spool and I love the offroad abilites a vehicle gains with locked diffs. You will love a locked rearend in Moab.
            Paul Hartman
            79 waggoneer
            AMC360/TH-400/203/205
            DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
            39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
            www.cbioffroadfab.com
            WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• tc
              258 I6
              • Jan 08, 2002

I welded mine (front and rear) before the axle swap and loved it... The snow and ice is different at first but you get use to it.
              "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra

Comment

• mtn goat
                304 AMC
                • Apr 30, 2001

Ya, you get used to it fast. My Dad has his 71 chevy welded and it works a lot better in the snow up there in cache county right above you. I plan on welding up mine...if I ever get a chance...
                \'82 Cherokee WIDE TRACK<br />258/T176/NP208/D44/20 Rack of Tad, BIG Orange fender, funny blue hood!<br />I must go and tend to my molecules, they need me to grow big and strong...Polymer Power!!!!

Comment

• BIGYELLOW78J10
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 18, 2000

Anybody got a Qtrac BW1339 with a welded rear and doing highway driving? I am think about it for my Wag, but I still need to drive it to the trail

Daniel
                  78 J-10 Rumblin Wreck 2v 360 V-8 Qtrac TH400 Stock down to the rust Highway speed in about an Hour
                  85 J-20 4v 360 V-8 Transplant w/ 30k Fresh Rebuilt 727 and a working 208!!! A/C might even work one day!

Comment

• tuck
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 29, 2001

my front spiders are welded, but I have locking hubs so I don't notice anything on the street.

snow and ice are a big deal, lockers are different, especially on ice. if it's your DD I would advise ARB's or Ox's for selectivity.

if the Jeep only sees occasional road time, weld it. off-road traction is unreal, and you'll wonder how you lived without it..
                    1972 Wagoneer 360/th400/dana20/10b/14b/35\'s... welded diffs, full hydro and so on..

Comment

• irbob
                      360 AMC
                      • Apr 11, 2000

I locked my AMC20 rear diff and love it. I call it my 15 dollar Miller Locker cuz that's what I paid for the GO and I used a Millermatic instead of a Lincoln welder. You can see some pix in the sig link. I also welded up Big Red's rear 44 for him and he likes it also. You can go places in 2WD where the normal 4WD would have problems.

I guess one of the reasons I welded it is because they don't make a spool for an AMC20 at this time and welding was my next cheap option. Talk about the most bang for your buck, this is it.

A note on the 35" tires. They will rub under flex on a NT, not to shure about a WT. When I had 31" on my rig the leading edge rubbed with only a 3" body lift. The wells are just not wide enouph. Cutting sheet metal comes next.
                      Bob
                      83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
                      83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• Tad
                        • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by mtn goat:
                        Ya, you get used to it fast. My Dad has his 71 chevy welded and it works a lot better in the snow up there in cache county right above you. I plan on welding up mine...if I ever get a chance...
                        Ya Chet, me thinking same, let' do yours first in case we screw it up.
                        2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                        Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Tad
                          • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by irbob:
                          I locked my AMC20 rear diff and love it.
                          Bob, what I would really like to know is how did it act on the highway, say on a nice long trip, with maybe some curving asphalt roads thrown in for good measure?
                          Chet, just funnin there, we could knock this out in a morning.
                          2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                          EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                          Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• WillyPete
                            327 Rambler
                            • Apr 03, 2001

i've driven my locked J10 from tennessee to ohio. bout a 350 mile drive. on long roads, at high speeds (even with some curves thrown in ala kentucky coal roads), there's no real noticeable affects. it's when you try and park or turn at intersections that the welded diff becomes noticeable.

Comment

• tc
                              258 I6
                              • Jan 08, 2002

I've drove mine on the highway and didn't notice a difference.
                              "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra

Comment

Working...
                              X