Dug the project out- still have an HG issue to resolve. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jumpin_jumpin
    232 I6
    • Feb 03, 2018

Dug the project out- still have an HG issue to resolve. Thoughts?

OK so long story short, restored for my sister an 87 Grand Wagoneer. Drove it out to Montana and that seemed to be the last of it's life. Her HOA wouldn't let the car sit in her driveway so it was in a field all winter. It's now back home, ready to be towed from shop to home to shop and back.
    A few mechanics have confirmed that the head gasket is blown, and last time we went to start it there was a brutal grinding that I can only assume is a damaged flywheel grinding on the starter.

Shop quoted a few thousand to repair the head gaskets. My brother in law bought a new engine, but apparently it would be too much work to convert that engine to the Jeep so that's a money sucking option too. Original engine has about 155,000 miles on it.

SO
    Question is, how hard is it to do the head gaskets? I can't get out to Bozeman for another month and a half to even attempt it.
    Should we look for another (actually compatible) engine?
    Pay to have the original one repaired?
    Or try the repair on my own?
    What to do about the grinding noise?
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Head gasket is stupid easy to replace...few thousand = hwy flippin robbery.

for grinding roll motor over by crank bolt and try again.
    probably have to inspect to see if flexplate is done?
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Changing head gaskets is a PITA specifically for your back but it's not high tech difficult. More labor time/grunt than tech.
      "Shop quoted a few thousand to repair the head gaskets." Yikes sounds like the shop is busy and doesn't want the job unless they at least get a new fishing boat out of the deal.
      A:/ find another shop. The grinding noise is likely a flexplate bad spot with broken teeth. Not a big parts expense but labor intensive. Gotta remove the trans and TC and going by what they charge for shop time...find another shop.
      You can easily inspect the teeth by just removing the trans inspection cover and rotating the flexplate with a big screwdriver etc. Might just be a trashed starter bendix drive/gear or combo of both?
      If you can find a "reasonable priced" shop that doesn't like fishing, a blown head gasket isn't yet a call for a new motor.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• jumpin_jumpin
        232 I6
        • Feb 03, 2018

Originally posted by babywag
        Head gasket is stupid easy to replace...few thousand = hwy flippin robbery.

for grinding roll motor over by crank bolt and try again.
        probably have to inspect to see if flexplate is done?

Any links to good tutorials or info on the HG project?

Comment

• jumpin_jumpin
          232 I6
          • Feb 03, 2018

Originally posted by joe
          Changing head gaskets is a PITA specifically for your back but it's not high tech difficult. More labor time/grunt than tech.
          "Shop quoted a few thousand to repair the head gaskets." Yikes sounds like the shop is busy and doesn't want the job unless they at least get a new fishing boat out of the deal.
          A:/ find another shop. The grinding noise is likely a flexplate bad spot with broken teeth. Not a big parts expense but labor intensive. Gotta remove the trans and TC and going by what they charge for shop time...find another shop.
          You can easily inspect the teeth by just removing the trans inspection cover and rotating the flexplate with a big screwdriver etc. Might just be a trashed starter bendix drive/gear or combo of both?
          If you can find a "reasonable priced" shop that doesn't like fishing, a blown head gasket isn't yet a call for a new motor.
          It's been hell just to find a shop in Bozeman that would look at the Jeep. Other one we brought it to first just flat out lied about the trucks issues, and when I called them out, they were jerks. It was a terrible experience.

I wish there were more shop options in Bozeman or that I knew a Jeep maniac in Bozeman.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
            350 Buick
            • Feb 15, 2010

Try and find a good mechanic that does work on the side for cash, head gaskets are not that hard to do, just takes some tools and time. Look for a jeep club for recommendations.

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by jumpin_jumpin
              Any links to good tutorials or info on the HG project?
              oljeep.com has service manuals.
              It's all in there...any year manual will work for head gaskets.

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
              Try and find a good mechanic that does work on the side for cash, head gaskets are not that hard to do, just takes some tools and time. Look for a jeep club for recommendations.
              +1
              I have found good people stranded on roadtrips etc., just by calling around & asking @ parts stores. The mobile guys usually are good and much cheaper than shops in small towns that know they have you by short hairs.
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• offthebeatenpath
                232 I6
                • May 31, 2019

Originally posted by jumpin_jumpin
                It's been hell just to find a shop in Bozeman that would look at the Jeep. Other one we brought it to first just flat out lied about the trucks issues, and when I called them out, they were jerks. It was a terrible experience.

I wish there were more shop options in Bozeman or that I knew a Jeep maniac in Bozeman.
                If you want a place that will do it right, call Dark Horse Customs.
                Yeah, they do high end stuff, but they take care of everybody.

Otherwise, Power Train Plus, Kaiser Auto (no Jeep affiliation, it's just the guy's last name), or Belgrade Garage are all places that I've used in the past.

Good luck!!

Comment

• jasonthomasfrance
                  304 AMC
                  • Sep 04, 2001

Ive got my cylinder heads off, but the engine is out of the truck. Take a picture of the carb/intake vacuum hoses. Then take the intake off. Take the valve covers off. The exhaust manifolds might be a pita in the engine bay... Then the cylinder head bolts. Big breaker bar for those and the exhaust bolts. I had 2 break off and need to be pulled out.

Ditto on the OLJeeps manual. The Chilton/Haynes have good diagrams and what not, but might not be all that accurate...

Cleaning the gaskets off after gently prying the heads off took some work. We wet sanded the block a bit to get it all smooth. The heads i just got back from being rebuilt. Will put everything back together tonight...
                  jason thomas france
                  GoFSJ.com/fsj

Comment

Working...
                  X