• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Battle_Wagon_NJ
    327 Rambler
    • Jun 08, 2005

Update - New Jersey State Parks Regulation Changes

The new rules state that your vehicle can't have larger than 40" tires or more than two axles.

The original discussion is here:
    The Division of Parks and Forestry of New Jersey is proposing regulation changes regarding "off road vehicles." On its face it concerns Dirt Bikes, ATV's, and large military surplus vehicles, but the proposed regulation is worded poorly and vague. The proposal can be seen here: http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/proposals

The new regulations were announced last month. People's comments and the resulting changes to the proposed rules can be read here:

Believe it or not, citizens speaking out against the proposed rules caused the Department of Environmental Protection to make amendments to the rule changes that actually make sense. If you click on the link above, its a bit of a slog, but you can read the comments that people submitted, and how the Park Service conceded that the original wording was poor. They did a total about face on dual sport motorcycles, saying it was all a misunderstanding.

There are more restrictive rules in place now for vehicle use in state parks. The Park Service wanted to reduce the damage large vehicles like the deuce and a half were causing to the sand roads and Island Beach State Park beaches.

The new rules state that your vehicle can't have larger than 40" tires or more than two axles. I think that's fair.

Gone completely is the vague definition of "military designed vehicle."
    1986 Grand Wagoneer, HEI, 4" spring lift, 31" BFG tires, vintage warn winch, 100k mi (mint when I bought it in 2001, now - not so much!)
    The Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Someone you know used to drive one of these. Ask me about Mid-Atlantic Full Size Jeep Club events.
Working...
X