• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

funny news article i found on another forum

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
  • bigun
    • Feb 10, 2003

Snicker!
    charlie
    KB0HXA
    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    The birth of CROM is recorded here
    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

Ha!
      1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
      Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• mud89
        304 AMC
        • Nov 18, 2009

Some people in Brittany speak also a Celtic language called "breton"
        J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
          Banned
          • Mar 01, 2009

So the Canadian Province of Quebec has English (well, Canadian anyway) and French mandatory on its signs. America is having to put English then Spanish on most of its signs due to immigrants who refuse to learn the official language of the country.

Why do we pander to people who don't speak English in chiefly English speaking areas? If English is the chief or primary language, then every citizen has the responsibility to learn to speak and read it fluently.

Wales, a territory of GB, may be a portion of GB that speaks primarily Welsh, but its been part of GB for how many centuries? You'd think they could learn to read English by now.

It would be no different if I moved to a nation where English is not the primary language...like Germany. I'd have to learn German.

Comment

• YJ-4BT
            232 I6
            • May 13, 2010

Originally posted by Tinkerjeep
            So the Canadian Province of Quebec has English (well, Canadian anyway) and French mandatory on its signs. America is having to put English then Spanish on most of its signs due to immigrants who refuse to learn the official language of the country.

Why do we pander to people who don't speak English in chiefly English speaking areas? If English is the chief or primary language, then every citizen has the responsibility to learn to speak and read it fluently.

Wales, a territory of GB, may be a portion of GB that speaks primarily Welsh, but its been part of GB for how many centuries? You'd think they could learn to read English by now.

It would be no different if I moved to a nation where English is not the primary language...like Germany. I'd have to learn German.
            Agreed... but none the less pretty darn funny

Comment

"Although the English conquest of Wales took place under the 1284 Statute of Rhuddlan, a formal Union did not occur until 1536, shortly after which Welsh law, which continued to be used in Wales after the conquest, was fully replaced by English law, under what would become known as the Act of Union."

The only way they would remain peaceful was to keep their own language. Same with the Scots.
              Same thing with upper and lower Canada.
              To take over another country and force them to assimilate would be tantamount to genocide, which they were abhorrent to do to another white culture, but native Americans were just savages so they didn't matter.
              (Sorry. Talking to cousins on Dad's side reminded me of the government taking my grandmother's house after granddad passed because she was "just a native and had no rights to property")

The Canadian French is known as Quebecois, like how in Nawlins dey speak dat patois, eh.
              Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• bigun
                • Feb 10, 2003

What I find interesting is I have always been interested in Wales, because my paternal great grandparents came from there, and I distinctly remember in one show I watched that the commentator said all Welshmen were bilingual as it was the law they had to speak both english and welsh
                charlie
                KB0HXA

congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

All signs have to be bilingual and speaking isn't the same as reading. I can speak some Punjabi (although I'm nearly 1/2 the "other" Indian), but can't read it at all.
                  Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• mud89
                    304 AMC
                    • Nov 18, 2009

Maybe there is a misunderstanding, the welsh speak welsh AND english, they have to learn english at school. Translated road signs are here to please the Welsh culture defenders
                    The real issue is rather the immigrants who don't learn the official language
                    Last edited by mud89; 11-28-2014, 10:21 AM.
                    J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

All that is is the Ebonics they teach in Oakland...............
                      Art
                      ASE Master Collision Tech
                      "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Cherokeeowner
                        258 I6
                        • Jul 25, 2010

Nobody speaks english anymore.
                        Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

"Proud to be prissy."

1988 Grand Wagoneer

1986 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• bigun
                          • Feb 10, 2003

It has subtitles for those who don't understand English english
                          charlie
                          KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Cherokeeowner
                            258 I6
                            • Jul 25, 2010

I guess in some places even English sucks.

The people of Pittsburgh have the "ugliest accent in America" - or at least that's what one online survey found. BBC Pop Up's Matt Danzico asks why people enjoy bashing Pennsylvania.
                            Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

"Proud to be prissy."

1988 Grand Wagoneer

1986 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                              Banned
                              • Mar 01, 2009

Language, like culture, changes. Outside influences and internal "shortcuts" cause a language to evolve until not much of the "original" exists. English is really a mix of Greek, Romanesque (Latin-based) and Germanic and some other bits thrown in, and then semi-standardized about 100 years ago.

I don't have a problem with bilinguals. I have a problem with those who don't learn the primary, official language of the nation in which they live.

Forcing Welsh or Scots to learn English as a second language in no way constitutes "Genocide". Genocide does not consist of school rooms and English books, it involves smokestacks and mass-graves.

Hitler wouldn't have been such a bad guy if the only form of "Genocide" of which he was guilty consisted solely of teaching 6-million Jews to speak and read German.

Comment

Working...
                              X