360 ci 727 with
    Comp cams 270 h
    NP208
    Edlebrock performer intake
    Holley 4180
    Msd total multi spark.
    4" rusty's springs
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
      Shakes hands with danger
      • Jul 01, 2012

I need a pickup, always like different stuff, wanted a 3/4 ton 4x4 I could keep for the rest of my life, couldn't find a '67-'72 Chevy/GMC worth a darn, and wasn't smart enough to hold out for an International.
      '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
      High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• renodemona
        232 I6
        • Sep 13, 2014

First Truck

My first car was a J10. It was multi-color brown. My dad had helped a co-worker's daughter buy it in town for her first car. She spent a couple years abusing it and blew the Transfer case on it. My dad bought it back from her, unbeknownst to me, with the idea of rebuilding the transfer case and having it be my first car. I was into XJs, as they were still making them new and they had just had the mid-life restyle that looked sweet. I could in no way afford even a used one then though. Then around my birthday out comes the J10, which I could afford, and bingo I had a jeep! I loved that truck, but I just didn't have the money and skill to really do the things I wanted to it. Working on the truck with dad was great, though. Unfortunately after about a year and half he took another job that required him to work about 100 miles from home. He needed a commute car and mom wasn't about to give up her brand new Volvo. So the J10 got traded in on a 2wd Ranger for dad and I ended up with my mom's old Volvo as compensation. Boo. Of course the Volvo got 30MPG and had seat warmers, both great features for a poor college kid in the snow. I eventually traded the old Volvo for an almost as old Subaru wagon because chaining up got old. I graduated and got a real job with a real paycheck. WOOHOO!!!! I had been looking at the Lincoln LS for a couple years and I picked up an almost new one. Blue with the V8 and sport package. What a great car. But alas, no 4wd and certainly no working on it. I got married to the most wonderful girl I know. She got a new Subaru. I lost my old Subaru. Funny thing about winter is that it doesn't care if you only have one 4wd and both people have to work, so I started looking for a 4wd for me that could be a nice family backup car too. I recalled the joys of that old J10 and working on it with my dad. Blessed by my wife, I brought home the Cherokee that would become Susan. $500. What a deal! Except for the new intake, fuel system, wheels, tires, hoses, fuses, bulbs, trim, vacuum, timing chain, dizzy, cam gear, thermostat, FI system, and seats. Now I'm totally hooked. My wife likes riding in Susan, she says it reminds her of being a kid in her dad's old trucks camping in the desert. I feel pretty awesome driving Susan around. She always gets looks and thumbs up. We took her camping and everybody in the campground stopped by and checked her out. Despite some close calls, she has never let us down. As I am fond of telling my wife "she's old, but she'll hold." Thanks for your time, your stories are all pretty fun!
        "Susan" - 1976 Cherokee w/t 401/TH400/QT
        3" Rough Country lift, Junkyard TBI
        Edelbrock Performer Intake, HEI Dizzy

Comment

• cma
          350 Buick
          • Jan 26, 2012

here my story: http://jeeptruck.com/articles/Kansas...ria/index.html
          Markus!

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

• mrtazwrench
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Nov 10, 2001

My Dad had J20's for work trucks, we had a 78 Wag for a while, my Wife had a 78 Cherokee when I met her. The 87 in my sig and FB pics was bought new by a neighbor as a farm truck when he quit driving I bought it on his farm auction.
            Chad
            "Let's see that Red Blue Green **** sucker build one of these without duct taping it together!"
            https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=76427b95fd
            88Wag
            87J20 Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
            83Cherokee WT
            82J20
            Parts vehicles: 1.5 Wags, 3.5 J20's, 1 J10 1 J300

Comment

• JeepJeepster
              350 Buick
              • Sep 04, 2014

Believe it or not, my girlfriend. Ive always loved them but probably wouldnt of bought one. She really wanted one and the friday before labor day, I was laying on the couch surfing craigslist. Saturday morning we bought a 89 fsj! Love the old thing. Hopefully we'll be able to keep it for years to come.
              2004 Jeep Liberty
              1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
              1994 Jeep ZJ I6
              1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• YJ-4BT
                232 I6
                • May 13, 2010

My dads friend, who was more of a father figure to me than my own father, drove J-trucks for as long as I can remember. I just thought the brow was the most unique thing over any other make of truck. Fast forward to when he passed away, his family thought enough of me to leave me the J-truck he had just picked up to play with. That was my first FSJ and I've had it in storage for the last 15 years waiting for a chance to get around to doing a resto mod. Hopefully that day will be soon because the wife and I close 9/30/14 on a place with a big roomy shop
                Last edited by YJ-4BT; 09-19-2014, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• jdaniel83
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 26, 2008

My grandfather bought our '70 Wag new off the showroom floor, and unfortunately had a heart attack and passed away while driving it in the mountains of Colorado 4 years later. My dad and uncle decided to keep it because it was my grandfather's favorite vehicle and we still have it today. Growing up I always loved riding in it and once I began driving it was my favorite to drive. So I guess you could say my love for FSJ's started before I was even born when my grandfather bought "ol' whitey".
                  '89 GW; 4" Susp Lift on 32" Wild Country MTX; 360, HEI, Edelbrock Intake, Melling MTA-1 Cam, Summit 600 carb, 3.73 Gears

'70 Wagoneer; stock Buick Dauntless 350, TH400; 3.73 stock gears

'83 Wagoneer Limited; stock 360, 727, 3.31 gears.

Comment

• bigun
                    • Feb 10, 2003

I always liked the older style post WW2 Jeep wagons, a guy I worked with had one they called Tigger, someday I hope to have one until then.

In 98 my brother and I started our own electrical contracting company. We tried using my XJ with a trailer for a shop vehicle, then one day we were looking through the "Thrifty Nickel" and found a Ford 4x4 school bus van for sale! It turned out to be the almost ideal shop truck for a company working in the mountains far from the supply stores. We put shelves and ladder racks on the inside and left a couple of seats for passengers even though I was usually by myself. My brother quit after three years and eventually the motor started wearing out, it was running on 7 cylinders and not very well.

One of my general contractors was always after me to sell because he wanted to build an off road hunting rig. He had a 76 Cherokee with a rebuilt 360 with an rv cam, 4 speed, dana 20 with small lift, running 32 inch BFG mudders, with 4.10 gears. He used it to tow his loaded "six thousand pound" tool trailer, to leave he would stick it in granny rev up the engine and side step the clutch, he broke to sets of rear end gears doing this!

So here was my idea we trade straight across I get a rig with a new motor and he gets a rig to build the hunting rig of his dreams. My idea was to just shove a 9 inch rear end under it, so I could use it in two wheel drive till I could afford a set of 4.10 gears for it. Cue Murphy! We got the mounting pads all welded on slid it under and bolted up before we found out that Jeep offset the rear diff to by pass the fuel tank! ARRG!! So we put the old D44 back in and I drove it like that till one day I saw a 84 D-150 at our local car dealer, I was able to make a deal with him on it while it was not an ideal truck, it is known as Faithful around here because you may have to jump start a dead battery, but it always starts an runs and now has over 350 thousand miles on it.

Back when we were rassling with the rear diff we discovered that the only thing holding my feet up was the carpet and that is how the idea for Crom was born! That is a whole nother story!!
                    charlie
                    KB0HXA
                    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                    Robert A. Heinlein
                    The birth of CROM is recorded here
                    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• hafner
                      232 I6
                      • Jun 18, 2014

For me it's a family thing. My grandpa on my mom's side owned Wagoneers straight through from ~1966 until he passed away in 2006. I think he owned five or six different Wagoneers during that time, and unfortunately my grandmother sold his FE burgundy-over-burgundy before I could get to it. His son (my uncle) also owned one, my parents owned one, and my grandmother on my father's side owned a yellow '77 for a long time. In a way Wagoneers are a family tradition, and if I prefer my FSJs stock and unmodified, it's because that's how the Wagoneers were that I loved growing up.
                      Cheers,
                      Chris Hafner

---

1978 Jeep Wagoneer 401
                      2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
                      1986 Audi Coupe GT
                      1977 Cadillac Eldorado
                      1992 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

[SOLD] 2002 Audi S6 Avant
                      [SOLD] 1973 Ford Gran Torino Wagon
                      [SOLD] 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

Comment

• brielly
                        350 Buick
                        • Dec 30, 2002

The fender flares and the fact that its not a blazer or Bronco!
                        For Sale Custom built reproduction Rhino Grilles http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...24#post1676924PM me for details or email [email protected]

1982 Cherokee Chief 258 6 cyl, AX-15, NP208, mopar mpfi, hydroboost brakes.

1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 258 6cyl*SOLD*

Comment

Saw the avatar Cherk on the car lot that we did a lot of work for, and went back after hours to take a look(would not be bothered by salesman) Saw it had a 4 speed and since it was only about the third one I had ever seen with one, when I come back to the truck drooling, the wifemate, said I don't care, if you can make a deal on the old beast, get it......

It was instantly named----"The Beast"
                          Art
                          ASE Master Collision Tech
                          "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• FSJunkie
                            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                            • Jan 09, 2011

It was free.

It was Jeep.

It was old and weird.
                            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• DARK FATHER
                              258 I6
                              • Feb 28, 2011

Back in 1995 I saw a 76 J10 in TERRIBLE shape behind a trim shop. I ALMOST bought it to fix up, and decided against it. But I never forgot that truck! Fast forward to early 2010s and I found one in Colorado with a 401 in GREAT shape. Mine now!
                              1978 Jeep J10/401
                              1968 Chevrolet C10 Step Side Longbed
                              1981 Chevrolet C10 Step Side Shortbed
                              1979 Honda CX500 Motorcycle

Comment

• Wagoneer622
                                350 Buick
                                • Nov 18, 2001

My Dad always had one, I have pictures of me from when I was around two years old sitting behind the wheel of his 1975 Cherokee. I love my 2012 Toyota Tacoma but I really miss my wagoneers!
                                Chris

Jeepless, now running a 2012 Toyota Tacoma 4 Door SR5

Past Rigs:
                                1983 Wagoneer Limited 360/727/229
                                1985 Grand Wagoneer 258/999/229
                                1986 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/228
                                1987 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229

Other Rigs in the family from the past:
                                1975 Cherokee S N/T 304/T-15/D20
                                1979 Cherokee S W/T 258/TH400/BW

Comment

Working...
                                X