• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • selkplitt
    232 I6
    • Sep 01, 2010

ignition problems

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. First is the background. Engine locally rebuilt 10/16 with about 1200 miles on it. Stock rebuild including 2150 carb rebuilt. New cto sensors and such. New starter, battery and cables, all new vacuum hoses routed properly. Always starts right away and when warm only 1 to 2 seconds on starter and is running fine.
    I drove it to work and everything was normal. Went to go home and would crank and run several seconds then quit. After much cranking would start and quit. It wouldn't fire off until I left off key, but then not start. Backfired out the exhaust twice. Trailered it home. I put timing light on coil wire and would not light until I left off key.
    So I bought Echlin ignition control module from NAPA and starts right up and runs like it always has. Drove it a bit, no problems. Fast forward a week decided to drive it some. Started and ran fine. After 20 minutes shut off. No rough idle spit and sputter, just off. Now a lot of cranking I got it started but running rough, drove home and it wanted to shut off. Had to 2 foot it. Still shut off. Now trying to crank it, it was a little slow to turn over a couple of times, Like timing was too far advanced. Got it to run but was rough, then smoothed out but still wanted to stall close to idle. Put timing light on coil wire and lighting up like it should. Checked timing with advanced plugged and was right at 12 advanced. Idled for 20 minutes, no problem.
    So what would you check next? How do I check the coil? Don't want to just throw parts at it and it magically runs without me really knowing what was the real issue is. Sorry for the long post but hopefully all the info points us in the right direction. Thanks
    http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z469/selkplitt/
    1989 Grand Waggy stock
    2007 Commander Rock Mountain Edition
    2021 GMC Sierra 3.0 Duramax
  • nograin
    304 AMC
    • Dec 19, 2000

Make sure there is power to the coil + when the switch is on.

I had a intermittant problem with that connector. So every time I back probed - the problem went away. But I saw a spark - so I knew the contact was poor.

But if there is no power there, then that's a clue. Start tracing back.

There's an ignition circuit diagram on my website. I'm assume the circuits are similar for '89 .
    '85 Grand Wagoneer
    360 727auto, NP229
    body by beer (PO)
    carries wood inside
    no "wood" outside
    My other car is a fish

Comment

• selkplitt
      232 I6
      • Sep 01, 2010

Thanks. Once I get over this cold I will start to trace the wires
      http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z469/selkplitt/