• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billygoat
    304 AMC
    • Mar 16, 2004

Heavy Duty Full Time T-Case

Maybe this has been covered and I just blew the search...

Is there a heavy duty T-case that I could put in my J20?
    I do a lot of on road winter driving and full time 4x4 is a nice feature.
    Of course I want it all
    2wd
    full time 4wd
    part time 4wd (50/50 split)
    4x4 low range (50/50 split)

I am going to do a 700R4 conversion so it would be fine if it would just mate to that.
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

Some of the 80-82 J20s came with the NP219 which is full time. Jeep called it QuadraTrac after the Borg Warner unit was discontinued. The Pig Smith has one set up like that. The rear drive shaft would need to be shorter to swap the 208 for 219. The front is direct fit.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Why not just keep your hubs locked and when the road gets slick just shift the 208 into 4H? When conditions improve go back into 2H.
      The 219 Flint mentioned is a good option but no 2WD function.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Billygoat
        304 AMC
        • Mar 16, 2004

Originally posted by joe
        Why not just keep your hubs locked and when the road gets slick just shift the 208 into 4H? When conditions improve go back into 2H.
        The 219 Flint mentioned is a good option but no 2WD function.
        You get sections of road that go slick/dry/wet, and the 208 does shift into 4wd on they fly but not always so great on coming back out with out stopping. Most of the time you can just leave it in 4x4 and it does not bind up on the dry sections, but driving the wifes Grand Yesterday and the 83 with the 229 today got me thinking...

Comment

• mattmopar440
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • May 17, 2007

NP203 full time case and Very strong I seen them hold up to alot of abuse I don't know how they compare to a NP219
          87' Grand Wagoneer
          401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
          84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
          80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
          74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
          Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
          Inferior Chevy

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Billygoat
            You get sections of road that go slick/dry/wet, and the 208 does shift into 4wd on they fly but not always so great on coming back out with out stopping. Most of the time you can just leave it in 4x4 and it does not bind up on the dry sections, but driving the wifes Grand Yesterday and the 83 with the 229 today got me thinking...
            I'd guess you're having a linkage issue. My 208 was behind a manual trans and had a normal top of the tunnel floor lever for shifting, not the little afterthought flag shifter the AT's have. Mine went from and to 2H-4H-2H with 2 fingers. Never an issue at reasonable winter speeds.
            For your use though a 229 sounds ideal. Should be no prob finding- trading someone your 208 for a 229.
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Billygoat
              304 AMC
              • Mar 16, 2004

Even my D300 in my CJ would "shift on the fly" when I clutched it, I think my issue is the auto.
              I thought about a 229 with a manual linkage, but I got the impression that the if your viscouse (sp?) coupling is shot all you can do is find another used 1.

I was kind of hoping someone would have a direct bolt up option for the 700R4 tranny...

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by Billygoat
                Even my D300 in my CJ would "shift on the fly" when I clutched it, I think my issue is the auto.
                I thought about a 229 with a manual linkage, but I got the impression that the if your viscouse (sp?) coupling is shot all you can do is find another used 1.

I was kind of hoping someone would have a direct bolt up option for the 700R4 tranny...
                What about an NV242 HD AMG? They're fulltime and are installed in the HUMMMER.
                Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Billygoat
                  304 AMC
                  • Mar 16, 2004

I will look 1 up, just need to see if the front output is on the correct side.

And either my memory is failing and I did not have shift problems with the NP208 on the fly, or the issues was the floor liner, because that is all that is different from last year... I can let off the gas and pop it right in/out of 4x4 no problem (hubs locked). Still think a full time case would be slick...

Comment

Working...
                  X