• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidtwelsh
    232 I6
    • Feb 21, 2011

6.0 Vortec swap - what have others done about charcoal canister

6.0 Vortec swap - what have others done about charcoal canister?

I hope the title grabs enough eyes.

My rig is up and about after the Vortec swap and is getting inspected now.
    My issue, I smell fuel. Had it checked twice..no leaks front to back.
    It's all right.
    Mechanic suggested it could be because the Vortec doesn't use the charcoal canister.
    While I keep looking...if anyone else who has done the swap could post what they did for the canister replacement.....and/or....if they noticed the same thing...I'd appreciate it.
    1991 Grand Wagoneer
    6.0L LQ4, 4L60e and np241c
    4" lift, 2" body lift, razor grille, 4.11 gears,
    Nitto grappler 33x12.5x15s
  • ProTouring442
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 15, 2011

If you don't run a charcoal canister, you have to make a way to vent the tank where it cannot easily push fuel out. I made a tall inverted "u" pipe that stands in the driver's side rear quarter.

You might still get a mild fuel smell outside the vehicle, but that's it. Otherwise, there are ways of venting the tank so you get no fuel smell.

II Much Fabrication sells a nice unit to stop the fuel smell. It isn't cheap, but it works well.

Finally, did you use any braided steel line? If it isn't PTFE lined, it may ooze fuel vapor.
    You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

Ok, I'd suggest you use the Jeep canister. The main problem will be - you have no ported vacuum signal on an EFI engine. So you'll need to either use the passive canister from an early engine with the purge coming from the air cleaner snorkel, say '72 or '73 Jeep - or figure out a way to control the canister purge valve from Vortec computer. Basically you only want the canister to purge when the engine is off of idle. I'd think you could use the EGR signal from the Vortec engine to control a manifold vacuum source using a GM EGR valve like the Standard VS12:

Then connect the purge port to manifold vacuum, and the tank vent line to the tank.
      Last edited by tgreese; 06-29-2015, 02:54 PM.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
      X