• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HAARubicon
    232 I6
    • Dec 02, 2010

Has anyone succesfully refeinished grill

Like the title says, but more specifically, has anyone successfully refinished the factory aluminum grill shell. After new paint, the formally not so bad grill, looks awful. I sanded and buffed the bumper and it turned out pretty good, but the grill shell is thinner material and much more intricate.

Thanks
  • racegas
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 15, 2012

I took the plastic insert out of mine. Then I used 3000 grit pads(3M) to take out light scratches and weathering. Then I used Mother's paste on a drill/foam pad to polish it out. I used SEM Black trim paint to paint the rear of the top that goes under the hood and the tabs at the bottom and in the center for the insert. I used black pinstripe tape to redo the stripe on the face of it.Did it look like a Crist Clapper special? No, but it got rid of the weathering and oxidation. At 10' it is shiny, and I can see the hair on my arm in the reflection, if I hold my arm next to it.

I also used some plastic polish on the chrome face of the insert, masked that off - just the front facing vertical surface - and used the same black trim paint on the rest of the insert.

There is a member on here who may be still kicking himself for getting too aggressive on his shell and went past the coating to the base. Is it polished? Yes. However, it has a different 'hue' to it, since it is the base and not the 'coating' that is polished. I know there is a place in Nashville that did an amazing job for a member a year or two ago, on rechroming his hood ornament, and they were reasonable as I recall.
    'Robert E Lee'
    89 GW White w/Cordovan Interior(daughter's DD)

Comment

• HAARubicon
      232 I6
      • Dec 02, 2010

Thank you for your response. I kind of felt that was the way to go. So now it is time to begin sanding and being patient enough to do it properly.

I do have a small damaged area that will need some special attention, but hopefully I can work that out.

I will post up some pictures later.

Comment

• racegas
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 15, 2012

I had one good ding in mine. The 3000 grit pad smoothed it out and cleaned it up to where it was presentable. I didn't want to get more aggressive with it, for fear of getting into the base. Same with all the scratches that remain; if I run my hand over them, can't feel them as they are smoothed out. If I get close, I can see them, and with a fingernail, I can feel them. For me, its a daily driver, not a show car - its part of the patina. I'm guessing with your new paint job it might be harder to stomach, but short of getting everything rechromed or tracking down NOS stuff, you have to determine your own threshold.
        'Robert E Lee'

Comment

• Railamer
          230 Tornado
          • Sep 17, 2014

There are replacement grill trim pieces available from Team Grand Wagoneer. They are plastic, not steel, but they look pretty good. I am in the process of repainting the black on my grill insert and then installing it into the new TGW trim piece right now....

Comment

• racegas
            327 Rambler
            • Jul 15, 2012

Someone posted a pic of a new TGW surround installed, think it was Medinajim. It looked very nice.
            'Robert E Lee'

Comment

• medinajim2000
              350 Buick
              • Oct 28, 2005

Originally posted by racegas
              Someone posted a pic of a new TGW surround installed, think it was Medinajim. It looked very nice.

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicGrandWagoneers/

87 GW (White) - Incoming
              89 GW (Black Cherry) - In Resto
              85 GW (Gold) - In Resto
              86 GW (Garnet) - In Resto
              84 GW (Bronze) - In Resto
              89 GW (Gray) - (Gone)
              89 GW (Gray)(Gone)
              87 GW (White)(Gone)
              86 GW (Blue)(Gone)
              88 GW (Gray)(Gone)
              89 GW (Gold)(Gone)
              89 GW (Gray)(Gone)
              75 Cherokee S (Blue)(Gone)

Comment

• rlm2550
                232 I6
                • Dec 28, 2015

chroming it??

Are there places that will chrome the grills, as the front grill of my 78 Cherokee?? I didn't think it was possible to chrome something made out of that kind of (pot) metal.. Robin
                1978 Cherokee Chief- 401, 700R4 trans, np208, Dana 44 x 2, 4:10 gears, lunchbox locker in the rear. 33" Mickey Thompson Deegans...

Comment

• racegas
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jul 15, 2012

Can't say for sure, but a year or so ago, there was a post about a chrome shop in Nashville that rechromed a hood ornament. The pictures made it look like new. I would think if they could do that, the surround would be easy.
                  'Robert E Lee'

Comment

• 440sixpack
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jul 21, 2016

The razor grille such as your 78 Cherokee has are not chromed they're anodized . there are several outfits who can do it and it's not cheap, I've been quoted between 500 and $1000 .

I'll let you know when I get mine done.

Comment

• dbabicky
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 31, 2011

I know I will be shunned for this but, I just sanded and painted my Razor grill black on my 1975 J-10. To each their own I guess. LOL !!
                      1975 J-10,360,TH400,QT,
                      1998 Wrangler,TJ,4.0L,5spd
                      2000 Chevy K3500,454 Auto
                      2009 GMC Canyon,3.7,Auto, 2.5" lift/leveling kit
                      all with a looney DAV behind the wheel.
                      "Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill"

Comment

• zjgross1
                        230 Tornado
                        • Mar 03, 2015

I took my 87 final Edition style grille to a chrome/metal shop in NJ. It was one of the only places that would touch it - it's hard to find any one stop shop to refinish anodized aluminum. They guy is very good however pricey. He chemically stripped the anodizing, then ground and polished the aluminum, and then shot clear over it. Looks great however getting a new plastic grille from TGW is likely the same price and will come with the black inserts already done. I preferrred the metal to the plastic though.

The chrome shop did the same thing for the bumpers and they look great!

Comment

• 440sixpack
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jul 21, 2016

I sent my razor grill and headlight buckets off to be restored. the price is $495 for the grille and $210 for the buckets. I'm told I'll get a show quality product back.

If anyone is interested I'll let you know what they look like when they return.

Comment

• rlm2550
                            232 I6
                            • Dec 28, 2015

440 sixpack

I am interested in seeing when they are returned. Thanks!
                            Robin
                            1978 Cherokee Chief- 401, 700R4 trans, np208, Dana 44 x 2, 4:10 gears, lunchbox locker in the rear. 33" Mickey Thompson Deegans...

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                              360 AMC
                              • Oct 02, 2002

I am very interested also.
                              Melford1972 says...
                              I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                              -----------------------
                              I make wag parts
                              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                              1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                              1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                              1968 M715 restomod
                              2001 Dodge 3500
                              2002 Toyota Tundra
                              2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                              Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                              X