• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trav
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 07, 2004

My first jeep

My fathernlaw gave me a 89 jeep wrangler.Stock, I would appreciate do"s and dont"s on any up grades.
    travis gray
  • jode
    JB Welder
    • Apr 08, 2002

Don't buy Thornbird tires
    Do go visit www.jeepforum.com or www.jeepsunlimited.com
    Don't put "No Fear" stickers on it
    Don't EVER repair a Peugot transmission - just replace it with a better model (non-Peugot)
    Do think about a locker ASAP (if you intend to drive offroad)
    Don't buy trucknutz
    Do thank your fatherinlaw - I wish mine would give me a jeep
    No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• jode
      JB Welder
      • Apr 08, 2002

Well, I run a Detroit gearless locker and I rolled my Wagoneer yesterday, so that is definately a good choice if you are looking for excitment in the snow.

Seriously though, the very best are selectable lockers that can be turned on or off at will (ARB, OX, Electrac, etc.) and of those, I would probably say that the ones that act as limited slips while disengaged would be the best. However, selectables cost considerable more than the "automatic" ones like a Detroit or a Lockright.

You will most likely need to use your new best friend (www.google.com) to search around and find out what will work best for you by what has worked best for others.
      My advice is to do some serious thinking about what this vehicle will be used for. Any and all modifications that you do should be done with the intention to create a vehicle that is best-suited for your specific type of driving. In other words, tell us what you want your vehicle to be, and we can tell you what kind of modifications you need to do to it to get it to that state of being.

EDIT - hey - you deleted your post, so now mine looks like the ramblings of a delirious fool...what happened?

[ December 01, 2004, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: jode ]
      No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• kong
        258 I6
        • Jun 29, 2002

Jode,

You are a ramblin' fool! I bet your wife isn't too happy about the rollover.

Back to the subject....

One thing I'd do is visit your local junkyard and make sure you have a few good vehicles you can strip parts off of.

First thing I'd do is TFI upgrade, you can find lots of posts on this, or ramblin' Jode will come and do it for you He's crazy!
        81WagLtd
        401-727-219
        Lots o Mods
        25 mpg. umm wait, no... 2.5 mpg

Comment

• FSJ Thing
          Propane Protagonist
          • Aug 25, 2002

My advice is to trade it in for a FULL SIZE Jeep.
          The Cherowagladabego Project. Updates coming as soon as I do something update worthy.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Comment

• gwinn
            360 AMC
            • Nov 05, 2001

Yeah, the first mod you have to consider is an upgrade to a FSJ. The rest really aren't as crucial. [img]smile.gif[/img]
            1983 Cherokee Laredo "Gus"

Comment

• fulsizjeep
              Señor Jackhead
              • Aug 21, 2002

My 1st Jeep was a 72 J4000 in 76. I would thank him and trade up... You won't regret it.

[ December 03, 2004, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: Flint ]
              Flint
              Ran when parked.
              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Rockmedic
                232 I6
                • Oct 04, 2004

Wranglers are great. I had one for several years and never had any real problems. The point is every one has a wrangler, they are every where. If you really want a Jeep that stands out and you wont see at every intersection BUY A FULL SIZE. I just bought my first and love it. sure it takes a little work, ok a lot of work to keep one up but what the h*ll it fun.

Comment

• Bombadier
                  360 AMC
                  • Dec 06, 2001

Flint-

Thanks for that pic... It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling seeing a picture like that while I'm here in Iraq....

Some guys dig Maxim and P-boy mags....
                  My library here consists of 4x4 literature....
                  Yup, I'm sick....

BTW, as for first Jeeps... Get an FSJ, and the sickness grows to include little Jeeps... Just get ready to warm up those Craftsmans, 'cause FSJs love the attention.
                  Why do I carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.

Originally posted by 2MANY4X'S2FIX:
                  I just want her to suck, squeeze, bang, and blow as reliably as the rest of the fleet. Is that too much too ask?
                  "Gilgamesh"
                  1981 Cherokee Laredo W/T

Like MountainBiking?

Visit the Land of Off-Topic

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

Yer welcome Joel... Hang in there man! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• DerekTJeep
                      Turbocharged Quandary
                      • Mar 28, 2003

This is picture of my first 2 Jeeps. ENjoy!!

Derek
                      1999 Chevy Express 3500 cargo van

1997 Mercury Mountaineer

AIM: derektjeep

[email protected]

224 805 0773 text message is the king!!!

Find me on facebook under Derek Troy

Comment

• rockcandy
                        304 AMC
                        • Aug 20, 2003

If it is the manual, don't bother to fix it if it breaks. If it is an auto, that is a good tranny. In my opinion, a locker or two will make the most dramatic improvement in offroad prowess of any mod. Before lift, tires, etc. If your still sticking with stock size tires up to 33" tires, lunchbox lockers can be had for about $225. If you have the 4.2, I am sorry. It is a good engine but your year suffers from a crappy carb system. '91 and newer has fuel injection. If it is a 4 cylinder your good to go. Never do a Super 35 kit. Visit www.jeepsunlimited.com
                        That is a good site if your new to Jeeps. Never invest in 4:1 kits for an NP231. If you go that far, swap to an atlas or flipped 300. If you lift it, stay away from Pro Comp. Spring over is the better way to go anyway. Invest in a good cage. Drive safe and if you don't know what the things I mentioned are....search search search! There is more information on the web than you will ever need to know.
                        1979 waggy, one ton WT conversion going on...

1979 golden eagle buggy...living on through donations across the country

Comment

• mudslider
                          304 AMC
                          • Sep 26, 2004

there will be good times and there will be fustrating times ahead. but you will have good times with it.
                          P.J
                          Stupidity rules at all times! Famous last words "Hey, watch this" Its 5:00 Somewhere. 1983 J10 In process: 360 ci install

Comment

• NOI54X
                            230 Tornado
                            • Dec 15, 2004

My first jeep was 46 CJ-2A,owned some kind of a jeep for past 24 yrs.Just haven't found the right one yet.
                            HILLBILLY CIRCUS WHEEL\'IN

Comment

• ross6x6
                              230 Tornado
                              • Oct 09, 2004

English 1979 AMC Cherokee Chief.
                              Well done for going for the free jeep wrangler!
                              Lots of folk here in U.K. drive Japanese 4X4's and also new'ish Cherokee's (downsize shape) Grand Cherokee's and new curvey Cherokee's. Wranglers etc are rarer. A few months ago I bought an old blue Chief - stock apart from big wheels & tyres + 5" body lift. Its good - but rusty so needs body off to derust/paint chassis and replace brake pipes with copper Kunifer pipe. I'll post pictures when I have some. These and Cherokee S were official imports into southern england (Andover, Hampshire) around 1978 to '81.

Comment

Working...
                              X