• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • codyman
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 30, 2017

1970 Wagoneer Restoration

Found a 1970 Wagoneer that was used as a shuttle and snow plow at the Klamath Falls, Oregon airport. It was used till about 1995 and lived it's entire life in a hangar there until two years ago when someone bought it. The guy ended up having too many projects at once so he sold it to me and I had it shipped down to me here in Southern California. Up until that point, it had never left the city limits of Klamath Falls (supposedly) and only has 61,000 original miles!

Anyways, time was mostly kind to this Wagoneer due to it having undercoat treatment and having been stored it's life in a hangar (up until two years ago. See attached pictures for what two years of harsh weather and a sitting car can do, especially with a leaky interior...). The car was repainted from "Avocado Mist" at some point to it's very 70's two tone gold and brown. I've already restored the interior for the most part (full carpet kit with mass backing). I'm planning on leaving the exterior stock as I don't mind it being a bit sweaty.
    She's running pretty damn good thanks to my uncle who I've dubbed "the carburetor whisperer" who helped me get it all dialed in and running right.
    Eventually I hope to use her to tow my '69 Field and Stream's camping trailer I've restored for camping excursions to Big Bear / Central Coast and whatnot. Below is a gallery of pictures as I begin to go through and restore her to her former glory.

Gallery (Updated June 13th, 2017): http://imgur.com/a/CtqOB

Current To Do List (Updated June 13th, 2017):

* Fix broken fuel tank vent valve (just posted about this in the tech session) that keeps leaking fuel when the tank is topped off.

* Fix mushy brakes (need to bleed). Master cylinder / fluid seem OK but TBD

* Replace fuel sender unit (purchased already). Since this is an old waggy, have to drop the tank to do that unfortunately.

* New tires (current ones are studded!). This is going to be a SoCal surf mobile so no need for crazy off road ones, contemplating getting the white striped Hankook Optimo H724

* Rear window motor seized (but power connections work and are correct via multimeter readings. Get motor rebuilt. Currently motor is out since you can't open the tailgate without the glass being down.

* Install Rear seatbelts (have them)

* New door locks since the key is missing
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

Great looking 70. What is the VIN? The gas pedal studs are available. Somewhere way back in my build thread (another 70), (the 50 year build...) I posted a part number. I made the base plate from SS which was a major pain to tap threads into. Then glued it down with panel adhesive. Looks like you got it though. Where did you get the carpet from. I will need some soon. Did it fit well? Front back and bed right?
    61K original is a real find. Congrats.
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• mud89
      304 AMC
      • Nov 18, 2009

Congrats ! Looks like an early '70 (built in 69)
      J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• codyman
        230 Tornado
        • Mar 30, 2017

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
        Great looking 70. What is the VIN?
        307314. Speaking of VIN's. I am trying to register it right now here in California. Went to AAA and the lady took a look at the plate on the driver door jam and it all matched up to my bill of sale and title. BUT then she wanted to see a 2nd VIN on the vehicle. I did some homework and apparently if that's not on the firewall, it's stamped in various places around the frame. Any clue where that might be found (or at least a partial) on the vehicle? If I can't find it I have to take it to the CHP for them to sign off on it and they are booked three months out right now...

I bought the "full" carpet kit from stockinteriors.com. I got it with the "mass backing". Really nice kit, the only problem is that my original carpet was practically non existent / thrashed and although the kit is pre-cut, it still requires a little bit of cutting for details (4WD shifter / brackets etc) and it's MUCH easier if you have the original carpet as a template to use. Had to really take a lot of pictures and do a lot of guess work to get everything cut out once the carpet was in since I didn't have the original to work off of. Once in though it looks really great!

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by codyman
          they are booked three months out right now...
          Wow, I guess people have to walk till their appointment. Three months would give you enough time to order a yellow and black VIN sticker with your VIN printed on it, and get it stuck on the door frame by the latch. Hopefully that would appease the folks in charge. The screws on the aluminum plate on the front of the door frame sure makes people nervous. The FSJ crowd is such a shady bunch. I think it was bear creek survey.

Look at the bottom of the age for your application.

Thanks for the carpet feedback. I will need some for Sadie the super expensive lady. Oh yes, Welcome aboard.
          Melford1972 says...
          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra
          2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
          Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp