• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RallyAlex
    232 I6
    • Aug 27, 2012

Who do you recommend??

I apologize if this is in the wrong thread. I am interested in swapping to a diesel to pull an RV trailer. I really want to keep the Wagoneer and not get an F-150 or other type tow vehicle. Is there anyone you guys would recommend to do the diesel swap? I am located in the Midwest but am willing to drive "almost" anywhere to get this done. Thanks! Alex
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Rethink Plan A. Dsl swaps aren't for the light of wallet "especially" if you need a shop to do it. On a side note your GW is going to have horrible axle gearing for heavy towing. Heck stock GW gearing won't even run the dsl in the ideal powerband when you're not towing. Since you're talking shop work here plan on possibly another $2,000 for the axle gear swaps. For the costs of a drive-in/drive-out shop job. It's gonna be cheaper to buy a used dsl truck already set up for towing.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Mikel
      • Aug 09, 2000

I agree. A FSJ is going to be limited more by the wheelbase/gearing/weight/brakes than by the engine when it comes to towing.

How much does this trailer weigh?
      1969 M715 6x6
      1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• RallyAlex
        232 I6
        • Aug 27, 2012

Well, it "was" an Airstream, but, someone else bought it. Assuming I keep looking for the same type of trailer, it weighs about 3600. I also plan on using the Jeep to do some camping with my 6 and 3 year olds which is why I'd like someone to go through and/or replace the engine with either a diesel, a 401, or rebuild the 360 with a FI this time. Again, that is WAY too much for my limited mechanical ability which is why I would be grateful if any of you could recommend someone who is a good Jeep mechanic. Thanks again.

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

The midwest is a good area with lotsa car clubs. Talk with a few or a lot of them. Those guys usually know who or what shops do good work. During your search nail down a good local garage for continuing general maint. Even a brand new dsl motor isn't a pay big up front and then just drive for years w/o doing anything game plan. They all need scheduled and unscheduled periodic maint and repairs and dsl stuff is expensive. You can rebuild a boat load of gaso carburetors for the cost of having a shop rebuild or replace one injection pump.
          I love dsl motors but they are not a 200,000 miles, no maint, 20mpg free ride.
          Your Chicago area should have an abundance of gearheads to talk with. Most likely even an AMC club.
          joe

Comment

3600 is nothing. I haul more than that with my Comanche (as long as it has brakes) My buddy thinks diesels are the end all be all which is why he's buying the Isuzu 4BD2TC from my NPR to put in his wag (it had a blown headgasket, but I bought it as a rolling shed)
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• zmjeeps
              304 AMC
              • Jun 14, 2000

Diesel Swap

Z&M Jeeps is not far from you in Maumee, OH. I did a diesel swap in Project Humpty that came out pretty nice. I can talk to you about some prices on what you want to do. Contact me direct or via PM. Thanks,

Zack
              Zack Heisey
              Z&M Jeeps
              419.893.4JEEP (4533)
              www.zmjeeps.com
              [email protected]

Comment

• DieselSJ
                304 AMC
                • May 19, 2003

Wow. IMHO there is a lot of misinformation here. I'll say that a diesel with overdrive and the 3.31 gearing with stock tires is an excellent combination for towing and that 3400lb trailer will be nothing. Hydroboost upgrade with the diesel and do the front brake upgrade, install a trailer brake system and go enjoy your Waggy. But Joe is right that diesels aren't a 200,000 mile, 20 mpg ride...they are a 300,000 mile, 24mpg ride. And I have no idea what Joe is talking about with gearing, since I'm running 1800rpm at 70mph in overdrive. Towing at 65mph at 2400rpm in 3rd. You can't get much better for powerband than that with a 6.5. Go with a 6.5/Auto and use SBC adapter mounts and it isn't a difficult swap.
                -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                -99 XJ Limited.
                -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• TrenchFoot
                  232 I6
                  • May 13, 2011

I've towed 16' and 19' Airstreams with my Waggy (w/ a tired 401). It did fine with stock tires and 3.07 gearing. Not great, and didn't scream up the mountains, but fine. The short wheelbase is limiting if you don't get some kind of sway control on the trailer. Get a load-leveling hitch with sway control (the Equal-i-zer does both). Otherwise, a trailer as short as a 19' can cause a FSJ to wag the tail. That's terrifying at 65+ mph.

I'm 3 years+ into a diesel swap. It may finally happen this year, but who knows. My 6.2 will be bolted up to a OD tranny and I'm expecting it to tow better than my 401.

I know this will ruffle all kinds of feathers, but I wouldn't invest in any upgrade to a AMC v8 other than FI. In hindsight, a diesel swap is probably more trouble than a modern GM v8 swap. If I were to start all over again today, I'd get a junkyard takeout LS engine (5.3 or 6.0) and matching tranny and wiring. I'd be done by now and it'll tow nearly as strong, efficient, and cheaper.
                  '78 Wag, 6.2L Diesel/700r4/QT

Comment

I see lots of the diesel swappers getting 20 mpg. Not many getting more unless it's computer managed. My buddy has been driving a Ford with 6.9 and is screaming about the lousy 17 mpg when he was told they got closer to 30.
                    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• RallyAlex
                      232 I6
                      • Aug 27, 2012

Thanks for all the input. At this point, I am in no hurry since the Airstream did not pan out. I did speak with Mercenary Offroad and he told me it would be about $30k in just parts. I was more than stunned, to say the least. I have a call in to Z&M. Thanks.

Comment

• DieselSJ
                        304 AMC
                        • May 19, 2003

That is a crazy estimate for a diesel swap. I could go get a new Dmax/Allison crate engine and swap it for less money than that.
                        -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                        -99 XJ Limited.
                        -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                        -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• joe
                          • Apr 28, 2000

Yeah 30 grand tells me they really don't want to do job.
                          joe

Comment

• TrenchFoot
                            232 I6
                            • May 13, 2011

Yeah $30k is their way of saying no thanks, they're not even trying. My swap costs are rapidly approaching $8500. This is mostly parts with some labor for tranny and head rebuild and a placeholder for exhaust work. It'd be a heckuva lot cheaper if I'd just swapped in a running engine and trans instead of rebuilding everything.
                            '78 Wag, 6.2L Diesel/700r4/QT

Comment

• RallyAlex
                              232 I6
                              • Aug 27, 2012

His explanation for the 30k is that far more was involved than just doing the engine swap. There is a youtube video of the Wagoneer with a diesel swap they did and it is very nice. Just not 30k nice. Plus labor of course. If you know of anyone else who is willing to do it, please forward me a name. Or, at this price, anyone willing to put in a 401 with FI. Thanks again you guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X