X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

Well I put another 4 hours into making a front door panel on Fusion 360 for the laser cutter. I am just about done and almost ready for a cardboard test fit. If it flies then I will laser out one from a fiber board panel. Hope so...

I spent the day catching up with a lot of little stuff. Some of it not intentional. I ended up cutting the hot air riser from the 70 outside and made it so it will work with the 4 barrel air cleaner that Sadie is getting. It was super thick metal probably 14 gauge. It took some serious pounding to make it round.

A test fit before high temp cast paint. I will be able to route a 2 inch flex hose over the valve cover now.

And I picked up the newly machined exhaust manifold yesterday. Along with a collection of high strength studs for the manifolds and the hood hinges. No one had the studs around here that were right. I sand blasted all the exhaust parts and painted them with hi temp cast paint.

Then decided to test the cerakote satin nickle and was pleased. It s real close to the finish that came on the parts. The shift indicator. It was hard to get most of the casting flaws out of the part. It looks good though. I had to put clear gloss on it for a shine.

The satin nickle on the trans adapter bar with no clear. I had some extra...

I was going to sand down the horn ring still trying to decide if I was using this one or the horn bar with the bar across the bottom of the steering wheel. This came out so well after 600, 800 then 1200 grit I ended up clear glossing it. It looked to nice to paint. I think I will use this one as it looks great.

A new NOS wiper switch and an NOS heater switch showed up. And the new high strength hood mounting studs. Those will keep the hood attached to the hinges in the event of a severe front collision. No point in letting the hood come through the windshield if it can be avoided.

I also located and ordered a 3 foot section of 2 inch wide 1/32 thick adhesive backed neoprene for the ends of the dash panel. I assume this was to prevent squeaks while driving between the dash and body. I located it at MSC Direct. A great company that has just about everything for metal tooling.

It snowed all day. No real accumulation so far. Our 15 inch first dump is down to a soggy 6 inches. And there is a large cougar that my neighbor had a conversation with at 15 feet in the area again. It came from behind a tree and sat down and stared at him. Staring down the barrel of a 30-30 he said you go your way I will go mine. The cougar showed no fear. It wandered off without making a sound. It must not have been hungry. My neighbor went home to clean his shorts.
    We now have it on a game camera. One tall order of situational awareness please.

More soon.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 11-15-2017, 05:33 PM.
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
      360 AMC
      • Oct 02, 2002

Here kitty kitty....

Melford1972 says...
      I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
      -----------------------
      I make wag parts
      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
      1968 M715 restomod
      2001 Dodge 3500
      2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
        327 Rambler
        • Dec 04, 2016

Good looking kitty! Healthy. Must have a lot of deer around. Please send her to me. I have a LOT of deer around.
        1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
        Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by Frank Ziebert
          Good looking kitty! Healthy. Must have a lot of deer around. Please send her to me. I have a LOT of deer around.
          Most of the deer have left. Except I saw one last night slowly crossing the property. It had better head south. Soon there should be at least 4 feet of snow. Can't move around much when it is that deep. Unless you are a moose. Nothing slows them down.
          Melford1972 says...
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
            360 AMC
            • Oct 02, 2002

Well another day in the jeepin life. I obtained enough correct fasteners to button up the motor mounts, shock towers, suspension bump stops and the towers they mount to. The firewall is getting loaded up. I put a reman wiper motor on. And I found out why the wipers did not work well at all years ago. The drive arm was near stripped out. The motor shaft was also ruined. Off to the shipping container of jeep parts nirvana to find a perfect one just sitting there. I did not even need a wrench.

I made more parts black. It's purdy.

More stuff.

I can't wait to mount the very rare chrome clock in the glove box door.

The powder coating is done on the 5 wheels I took to town. They tried to upcharge me again. I told them before hand I need a solid quote as I had done this to Bill too many times. I pushed back and got the same price.
            I will probably pick them up tomorrow. It is a long drive.

I am also waiting on a return call on a cheap old used stove. The hi temp cast paint says to cure it at 400 degrees. If I don't it will most likely burn off and look bad. I hope to pick up a stove right quick so I can put the darn motor in.

I am also looking for 1/8th and 3/4 thick self adhesive foam for the heater box. For the interior heater doors and joining the fan box to the distribution box. The seals are shot. I'll go take a look around online.

More soon.
            Melford1972 says...
            -----------------------
            I make wag parts
            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
            1968 M715 restomod
            2001 Dodge 3500
            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

Made a road trip today. Just got home with these. Fresh powder coat with a heavy duty clear gloss powder coating over that.

With an unrestored hub cap on. Pow!

They turned out way better than the last company that did a set for me.
              Melford1972 says...
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• posulli88
                258 I6
                • Dec 18, 2016

Been watching this thread for a while, your work is incredible KaiserJeep!!! When you end up getting the foam for your heater would love to know and see more details on what you use and how you install it. Restoring my heater right now and need to replace all the foams...
                77' J10 w/ 360, T18, Dana 20 TC

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                  360 AMC
                  • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by posulli88
                  Been watching this thread for a while, your work is incredible KaiserJeep!!! When you end up getting the foam for your heater would love to know and see more details on what you use and how you install it. Restoring my heater right now and need to replace all the foams...
                  I ordered 4 different samples or 12x12 squares. All of it adhesive backed. I had a hard time finding something super soft like 10-20 durometer and capable of high under hood temps. I have a neoprene mix and polyurethane on the way. Silicone is more than capable of the high temps but it was around a hundred bucks for one square! I am not doing that. I will see what the scoop is with the stuff I ordered and post up.
                  Melford1972 says...
                  -----------------------
                  I make wag parts
                  1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                  1968 M715 restomod
                  2001 Dodge 3500
                  2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• MJMadness
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 26, 2005

Are those hood studs sold for that application, or are they just generic 3/8"(?) high strength fine studs? I'd like to convert mine to studs...

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by MJMadness
                      Are those hood studs sold for that application, or are they just generic 3/8"(?) high strength fine studs? I'd like to convert mine to studs...
                      They were generic close matches to the originals. They are 5/16 coarse on one end and fine on the other with a small smooth section in between. It would be nice if they were 3/8's but they are not. The coarse end threads into the captured hood nuts while the fine ends stick down through the hood hinges held by a washer and a KEP nut. (A nut with a star washer permanently attached).
                      Melford1972 says...
                      -----------------------
                      I make wag parts
                      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                      1968 M715 restomod
                      2001 Dodge 3500
                      2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                        360 AMC
                        • Oct 02, 2002

I hit a really great milestone today. Go the motor carefully installed however photobucket is not working. I will try again later before bed and again in the morning.

I am also about to land the transmission. But not before a new front seal is installed along with a filter and pan gasket. The pan already has a drain plug installed for sanitary draining later if needed. I also decided to replace the torque converter. I ordered a heavy duty unit with a 1350 stall speed to match the original as close as possible. From monster transmission. Rock auto, and everybody else had nothing listed.
                        The freshly rebuilt transfer case is also standing by. All of it looks better than new.
                        Melford1972 says...
                        -----------------------
                        I make wag parts
                        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                        1968 M715 restomod
                        2001 Dodge 3500
                        2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jan 15, 2016

Al, those wheels came out amazing! Keep going! Keep going!! I'd like to find a way to coordinte with you and the owner some day to see Sadie in person. It would just be surreal.
                          '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
                          (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by 63J200atLSU
                            Al, those wheels came out amazing! Keep going! Keep going!! I'd like to find a way to coordinte with you and the owner some day to see Sadie in person. It would just be surreal.
                            As well as the day she leaves my possession. It has been years and thousands more than anticipated. This is always the best part of a build. Bill lives in Seattle. Liz and I live north of Spokane. It would be great to meet you and Elizabeth in person. We will figure something out.
                            Melford1972 says...
                            -----------------------
                            I make wag parts
                            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                            1968 M715 restomod
                            2001 Dodge 3500
                            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                              360 AMC
                              • Oct 02, 2002

So after a couple days monkeying around with Craigslist and lack of call backs, my quest to find a cheap semi local stove and working oven fell by the way side. Liz has been wanting a new barbecue since the burners were rotten and I was not able to make the replacements work. So it was her idea to cure the manifolds and related exhaust parts in ours. I laid out some metal for indirect heat and using a temp gun got the manifolds cured. It said minimum 400 degrees. I was able to make 575 for about 20 minutes for each load.

It is so hot in there look at the upper warming rack.

I cooled them down and installed them. Then the big moment. I lined the engine bay with blankets. No scratches!! I decided to use a gantry crane and had but 1/2 inch clearance with the hook run all the way up. I could have choked up on the leveling fixture, but a slow scoot to the side of the front made enough room to get it in there. My trusty helper held it straight.

A little more.

On the mounts and waiting for a transmission.

I will reseal the transmission tonight and a torque converter is on the way from Monster transmission and should be here in a day or three. Maybe now is the time to finish my second version of a fire wall pad jig. I will need that in place very soon. I am still working on the door panel blanks also. Lots to do now.

More soon.
                              Melford1972 says...
                              -----------------------
                              I make wag parts
                              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                              1968 M715 restomod
                              2001 Dodge 3500
                              2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                                360 AMC
                                • Oct 02, 2002

Happy Thanksgiving. We are hoping the power does not go off again. It went out this morning for a few hours. Number 7 this season. The turkey is almost done so I think we are good. It's darn windy and the rain has been non stop.
                                I am looking forward to the nap by the woodstove.

So door panels are moving right along. I am needing to go into makerpoint for some help. They are closed till next week. I needed to get a firewall pad done then I can land the dash. This is REV 3. I built a jig to put a curve into the pad skin so it would not be such a forceful wrestling match to get the pad in correctly. When I seal the skin with wood hardener it makes the product super stiff. This will help I am sure.

Forcing the correct bends in the skin so it has some memory.

Then a ton of hand stitching. One stitch per 45 seconds. Both pads took a while. Only three finger sticks.

Glued on the correct thickness fiberglass and they look great.

The front side. A far sight nicer looking than the old water stained tattered pads.

Here is the Auveco part number for the christmas tree fastener to use. This one looks to be the closest match to the original. I went through several.

The 1/32 thick adhesive strip from MSC was absolutely perfect. I had to trim it down by 1/2 on the width. But it worked great and is VERY sticky.

The old factory stuff.

The new stuff from MSC

Time to quit working and eat. If anyone knows where to get the nylon nut the pops in the square hole to hold the hood bumper stud, please let me know. I can find ones up to a 1/4 X 20 all day long. The hood bumper posts are 5/16 X 18 thread. The square hole is 7/16 , Anyway....
                                Happy turkey day.
                                Melford1972 says...
                                -----------------------
                                I make wag parts
                                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                                1968 M715 restomod
                                2001 Dodge 3500
                                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                                X