• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FSK1460
    232 I6
    • Aug 20, 2004

Parts needed for Edelbrock intake & carb

Well I finally decided to upgrade to the Performer #3731 intake and #1406 carb. However, I'm not sure exactly what all additional parts I'll be needing for this. Perhaps someone else has been down this road before and can clarify this or let me know if I'm forgetting something.

Edelbrock parts:

8034 Throttle cable adapter

7213 intake gasketts (I've read some folks prefer using the original valley pan metal gasketts while other say you can't since this intake is aluminum.) I think the jury is still out on this one.

9300 Gasgacinch sealant for the intake

2732 Squarebore adapter (is this necessary or does it come with the carb)

J4006019 AMC grommet for the PCV

8134 Idle/AC solenoid (does the factory one not fit or can it still be used?)

1481 Throttle lever kit for accelerator and cruise controll (is this necessary or does the one on the new carb come with one, or can the one from the MC2150 be used instead?)

8134 Fuel line kit (the fuel inlet on the #1406 is on the side of the carb as opposed to the front and will need to be relocated. Is this the right kit to get?)

8092 Air cleaner spacer (Is this needed with the factory air cleaner and will the factory cleaner fit a #1406?)

9266 Squarebore carb to intake insulator (will this case the air cleaner to be too hight and not clear the hood?)
    BJ's Aluminum radiator
    Black with Burgandy interior.
    Tulsa, OK
  • yankeedog
    304 AMC
    • Mar 14, 2007

i went without the valley pan gasket. had a real hard time getting it to seal with it. I just make up a little adapter out of flat stock for the throttle ,and used a size 14 right foot adaptor for the cruise control. fuel line kit was a piece of 5/16 gas hose.no adaptor plate needed to mount carb to mainfold.no adaptor needed for stock air cleaner.yes it clears the hood.IMO the 1406 carb runs a bit too lean ,get the tuning kit and go one or two metering rods richer.than stock.
    Last edited by yankeedog; 03-26-2008, 05:00 AM.

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
      Cherokee Outlaw
      • Jan 10, 2006

Originally posted by FSK1460
      8034 Throttle cable adapter
      Yes

7213 intake gasketts (I've read some folks prefer using the original valley pan metal gasketts while other say you can't since this intake is aluminum.) I think the jury is still out on this one.
      I use the valley vans and dont have any problems

9300 Gasgacinch sealant for the intake
      Yes

2732 Squarebore adapter (is this necessary or does it come with the carb)
      Both the Edel intake and carb are already square bore, no adapter needed

J4006019 AMC grommet for the PCV
      Yes

8134 Idle/AC solenoid (does the factory one not fit or can it still be used?)
      I dont know on this one, Ive always just ditched it

1481 Throttle lever kit for accelerator and cruise controll (is this necessary or does the one on the new carb come with one, or can the one from the MC2150 be used instead?)
      Again, dont know, always ditched it

8134 Fuel line kit (the fuel inlet on the #1406 is on the side of the carb as opposed to the front and will need to be relocated. Is this the right kit to get?)
      Not needed but I used it and let me tell ya, it makes life real easy and makes for cleaner install

8092 Air cleaner spacer (Is this needed with the factory air cleaner and will the factory cleaner fit a #1406?)
      Factory air cleaner will fit fine

9266 Squarebore carb to intake insulator (will this case the air cleaner to be too hight and not clear the hood?)Mine without the spacer was tight but others use it and claim no problems
      There ya go.
      -Jonny B.
      1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
      7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
      AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
      NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
      F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
      R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
      1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
      1979 Wagoneer - Sold
      1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

the metal valley pan is what edelbrock recommends. the fiber gaskets can cause the manifold to warp along the sealing edge.

i've installed several aluminum intakes and never had a problem with the metal valley pan.
        Originally posted by Hankrod
        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Billygoat
          304 AMC
          • Mar 16, 2004

Edelbrock says to use the valley pan gasket, and if you have any problems and call there tech support that is the first thing they ask. But ditch the rubber ends and use silicone (they tell you that too)

The 1406 bolts directly on the intake, no adapter needed.

I have an aftermarket open element filter so I can't hep you with that.

The solinoid???? not sure I have manual choke with has mechanical fast idle, and no ac.

Comment

• FSK1460
            232 I6
            • Aug 20, 2004

Parts needed for Edelbrock intake & carb

Appreciate the advice. I think I'll go with the valley pan gaskets. The solenoid I was curious about was the one that increases idle speed when you turn the AC on. Wasn't sure if I can reuse the factory one or not.

I thought the 1481 throttle kit was necessary to connect the throttle cable to the carb along with the cruise control cable. I'm guessing everyone else was able to connect theirs up without it?

Didn't realize the 1406 was that much leaner. I thought if you didn't use the EGR, then the carb would be too lean? Is that right?

Since I was planning on keeping my emissions still hooked up, I was thinking I needed the 1400 carb. But the sales rep from Edelbrock said you can't change the calibrations on them and recommended the 1406 instead.

Althought their website does mention the 1406 being 2% leaner than the 1405. So I'm guessing you can just change the jets around and get it the way you want.
            BJ's Aluminum radiator
            Black with Burgandy interior.
            Tulsa, OK

Comment

• Jayrodoh
              360 AMC
              • Sep 07, 2004

I recommend the Edelbrock intake bolt set as well. Looks nice with the intake and makes it easier to get a socket in there to torque it because of the smaller head.
              Honey?? What happened to the savings account? You bought a Jeep what??

86 Grand Wag Stock with Bulltear HEI

Comment

Working...
              X