International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Fuel Injection

Old 08-02-2017, 06:46 AM
out of order

it just tells you output/flow (pump size)
a 35gph (62psi) pump = 132lph
a 255lph (80psi) pump @ 58 psi = ~190lph
In a nutshell how much hp they will support.
There is also the too much pump for stock/mildy modified.
@ low flow rates they can heat up and cause issues.
If you're running say 250hp you don't want/need a big pump. Like a 340lph.
PWM capable pumps are utilized to reduce the output(to reduce heat) when the high demand isn't required.
Otherwise the pump can overheat and die.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:38 PM

Well- I scrapped the FCC and installed an in-tank pump/sender from Novak that is specific for FSJ's-

Absolutely no issues. Drove all day in the 90+ heat. Start, stop, traffic, etc.

Finally, I am a happy Grand Wagoneer owner- for the time being...

That POS Fitech FCC will be heading back to Summit this next week.

1964 Jeepster (wish I still had this one)
Old 08-05-2017, 03:01 PM
Gear Head

The Novak pickup tube is too short. I redid mine before I installed it and added about 2" to it so that it reached the bottom of the tank.

I had this issue when I bought a new one from TGW last year. The Novak is the same sending unit. It's 2" shorter than the stock pickup.

It should run out of gas on you at 1/4 tank left.

I would carry a 5gal can of gas with you and run it out on purpose to see exactly where your gauge reads when it runs out. If it runs out on you and your gauge reads the bottom okay then you can keep it as is if you like but there will still be 2" of gas in the tank. At least you will know where your gauge is when you run out for sure. Better than surprise!

Mine ran out bone dry on the hwy and my gauge was on 1/4. I put 4.5 gal in that I had in the back just for this propose. and it started right back up. I already extended my pickup I didn't adjust my float so I have to calibrate it. I drove it home and I'm going to drain it and manually calibrate my gauge by bending the float arm till it reads empty when it's bone dry, then add one gal and see if needle slightly moves, then another gal and on the third the light should turn off. Then your light will turn on letting driver know to get gas with 3 gallons left in the tank and you can bank on it.
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Last edited by ShagWagon : 08-05-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:26 PM
Gear Head

I took these last year when I installed the sending unit from TGW. I had put the original stock one back on to extend it to the bottom. It too ran out at 1/4 tank before I did that. Then I had to modify the float arm calibration to the fuel gauge.
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 08-05-2017, 08:54 PM
FSJ Maniac

So using the old sock allowed you to use the last quarter tank? I thought the pump would suck air through the screen anytime the fuel was below the actual pickup tube.
* 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed
Old 08-05-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdds
Well- I scrapped the FCC and installed an in-tank pump/sender from Novak that is specific for FSJ's-

Absolutely no issues. Drove all day in the 90+ heat. Start, stop, traffic, etc.

Finally, I am a happy Grand Wagoneer owner- for the time being...

That POS Fitech FCC will be heading back to Summit this next week.

Are you running the Novak pump with pwm? Are you just using the orange fitech wire or are you using a relay?
Thanks
Owen
Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightglide
Are you running the Novak pump with pwm? Are you just using the orange fitech wire or are you using a relay?
Thanks
Owen

The orange wire is controlled by fitech handheld. It controls pwm. I reset to 75 as instructed to for inline and intank pumps. FCC was 40.

I had to splice in about 3' to make it reach the Novak Hotwire. I thought to re run the orange wire down passenger side and across above the tranny it might have reached but I kept it my original way across the harness in front of radiator and tied in at driver fender.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:52 AM
out of order

Be 100% sure your new pump supports PWM. If it doesn't you'll probably kill it.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:56 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
Be 100% sure your new pump supports PWM. If it doesn't you'll probably kill it.

If it doesn't then what settin should be used as a standard? 75?100? I never checked on that. The default is something like 75.5

Run it to a steady ignition activated 12v?

I rigged straight to the fitech pump wire in hope that an accident would cut the fuel pump if fitech would know this if you became overturned or hit hard...
Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 PM

guys I will check with my mechanic to see what he did. I know that I am still running PWM at 40 right now on the handheld.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:44 PM
out of order

Quote:
guys I will check with my mechanic to see what he did. I know that I am still running PWM at 40 right now on the handheld.

I wouldn't rely on someone else or 2nd hand info.
Check w/ fitech, and the specs. on your individual pump(s).

For example Walbro has a warning stating DO NOT utilize PWM on certain pumps.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagWagon
If it doesn't then what settin should be used as a standard? 75?100? I never checked on that. The default is something like 75.5

Run it to a steady ignition activated 12v?

I rigged straight to the fitech pump wire in hope that an accident would cut the fuel pump if fitech would know this if you became overturned or hit hard...

If you set pwm at 100 on the handheld it disables the pwm feature and runs pump at 100% a the time
Old 08-13-2017, 08:33 AM

Checked with Novak
The new units are the correct length for the Grand Wagoneer tank- Also, yes, if you set your PWM to 100 on the Fitech unit it will be a constant 12V to the pump.

Chuck

Old 08-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Checked with Novak
The new units are the correct length for the Grand Wagoneer tank- Also, yes, if you set your PWM to 100 on the Fitech unit it will be a constant 12V to the pump.

Chuck

Did you see the pic I posted? It has the stock unit underneath to show comparison and the TGW one on top.

Novak uses the same sending unit and it went to the same level. I double measured it with a stick. It hangs 2" off the bottom of tank.

You can use it and be fine but when you run out, you will still have 3+ gallons in the bottom of the tank.

That bothered me so I fixed it.

I keep forgetting to get the part number off the pump. The one listed in the parts sheet seems to be a different pump? when I search and look at the pics of it, looks totally different. Can someone verify the part number off of the pump before they put it in please? I haven't checked to see if it's pwm compatible or not. I'm running 75 as fitech says to run an inline pump. Mine is an intanker... Should it be 100?
Old 08-13-2017, 10:32 AM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagWagon

I keep forgetting to get the part number off the pump. The one listed in the parts sheet seems to be a different pump? when I search and look at the pics of it, looks totally different. Can someone verify the part number off of the pump before they put it in please? I haven't checked to see if it's pwm compatible or not. I'm running 75 as fitech says to run an inline pump. Mine is an intanker... Should it be 100?

fitech is referencing the pump they sell, you need to verify YOUR pump's compatibility.
Look it up online, email them, or call the tech line for your pump manufacturer.
I would disable PWM until you're sure YOUR pump is capable of supporting it.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:02 PM

Shag-

My mechanic measured my original unit to the new Novak one he installed. Same length. Novak said the one they sell now is a new model that is Wagoneer specific and had a new style GM pump.

You may be right (not doubting your situation- when did you buy your pump?), I will double check again to make sure....