X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

It is the wrong bracket. Hopefully someone has one.
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
      360 AMC
      • Oct 02, 2002

Can someone take a look under their wagoneer bench seat and tell me how the springs hook up on each side? The parts book shows them but not where they hook to. Nothing seems to fit right.
      Melford1972 says...
      I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
      -----------------------
      I make wag parts
      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
      1968 M715 restomod
      2001 Dodge 3500
      2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• miracleed
        232 I6
        • Feb 19, 2019

Sorry KaiserJeeps, those look way different from what I remember of my '79 and my seats are at the upholsterer so I can't check.
        '79 Wagoneer Limited

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by miracleed
          Sorry KaiserJeeps, those look way different from what I remember of my '79 and my seats are at the upholsterer so I can't check.
          I appreciate you replying on it. Very much... I think everyone thinks someone else will get to it. So A lot of stuff I have posted asking for help goes unanswered. So it is great to see you would if you could. So again thanks... Wanting to move ahead, I ended up making some "L" shaped sheetmetal flags that are held on by the upper seat mount stud. The metal has an ear that points forward at the spring with two holes for the spring. Adjustable I guess. It works great. I still could not figure out how they went on even with a parts book.

I sure could still use a rear seat bracket (latch). Passenger side. I would buy the whole set if I needed to. If anyone knows any junk yards, shops, people, that might have it.... Puhlease post up.

I was thinking about calling Montana Overland next door in MT here.

The transmission leak was an under sized O-ring on the dip stick tube. I replaced it with a fatter O-ring and NO LEAK>

I replaced the master cylinder and have better brakes. I pressure bled nearly two pints through all 4. Still seems like a low pedal, but they are drivable now. More>
          Melford1972 says...
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• chubbinius
            258 I6
            • Oct 31, 2018

Crankyolman posted about a 72 Waggie at the pick-n-Pull in Lynwood Washington. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...71#post1709671
            They may be wiling to check for those seat brackets/latch for you, Al. Good luck.
            1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
            -Dauntless 350 V8
            -D27 front/D44 rear
            2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by chubbinius
              Crankyolman posted about a 72 Waggie at the pick-n-Pull in Lynwood Washington. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...71#post1709671
              They may be wiling to check for those seat brackets/latch for you, Al. Good luck.
              Thank you Chubbinus, I will call shortly.

And I am getting ready to glue on the door and tailgate weather stripping. This showed up in my email this morning. Perfect timing...

From direct fit parts to custom builds, we’ve helped thousands of customers figure out what they need to seal their project and we enjoy doing it. In an effort to share some wisdom from our 60+ yea…
              Melford1972 says...
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                360 AMC
                • Oct 02, 2002

After being on hold for ever their response to my request for the seat back latches was " we don't have time or the staff to go look"

I said I am in Idaho and neither do I. Thanks and have a nice day...
                Melford1972 says...
                -----------------------
                I make wag parts
                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                1968 M715 restomod
                2001 Dodge 3500
                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• chubbinius
                  258 I6
                  • Oct 31, 2018

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                  After being on hold for ever their response to my request for the seat back latches was " we don't have time or the staff to go look"

I said I am in Idaho and neither do I. Thanks and have a nice day...
                  That stinks, seems like a reply I could expect from yards down here, but I would have thought they'd be a bit more friendly up that way. I think www.row52.com has a way for you to send an electronic request for the part via the website, but I think you have to register for an account on row52 first. Would Sadie's owner be wiling to duck in and take a look?
                  Last edited by chubbinius; 09-11-2019, 09:58 AM.
                  -Dauntless 350 V8
                  -D27 front/D44 rear

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                    360 AMC
                    • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by chubbinius
                    That stinks, seems like a reply I could expect from yards down here, but I would have thought they'd be a bit more friendly up that way. I think www.row52.com has a way for you to send an electronic request for the part via the website, but I think you have to register for an account on row52 first. Would Sadie's owner be wiling to duck in and take a look?

Ha... I had already called Bill and asked him to stop in Friday on his day off.
                    Then called George at Montana Overland and he found one. 55 bucks and it is on the way. They have just about everything there. I also heard some interesting stuff on Henry Kaiser. How he cheapened the jeeps and did not do them any favors. Interesting chat...

Problem $olved....
                    Melford1972 says...
                    -----------------------
                    I make wag parts
                    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                    1968 M715 restomod
                    2001 Dodge 3500
                    2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 02, 2002

A good day here today. Got the seats in with a neighbors help. Did some final rubber casting for the tailgate guide pins. And a few other unmentionables.
                      I swear it took me an hour and a half to land the transfer case boots and trim ring. That I am glad to be done with.

Casting the guide pins with flexane 94. The 94 is the hardest while there are softer compounds available. I think this is conveyer belt repair compound?

My mold needed work still. But they are turning out OK. I cast the rubber right on to the metal bracket. I pretty much ruined the other half of the mold. So this is perfect to do it this way. I carefully painted release agent around the outside of the mold. The rubber comes right off leaving me a clean job of it.

The flexane and part numbers. The ratio is sensitive as I had to redo one side three times. It came out gummy.

The release agent. It works very well.

The finished casting compared to a good but dirty original.

While I have no air bubbles cast into the work, you can make a vacuum chamber that will remove all air bubbles in a more complex part. I intend to make a small vacuum chamber this winter as I brought home a vacuum pump from my dads when I cleaned his place after he passed. So that should be interesting later.

The Porsche seat belt guides worked like a charm. I carefully measured, marked and cut the openings. Then had to sew up the old slots that were in the wrong place from SMS auto fabrics (Canby Oregon) my absolute favorite company.

The seats in and the belt areas. It was the best I could do.... The thread is black. It is just a reflection in the flash.

Seats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      And I was able to make the black plastic surround work with the carpet.

Now I can mount the mirrors. Door seals this next week and then the last of the unsolved issues. The tailgate window....

Glad to finally be at this point..
                      Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 09-12-2019, 04:15 PM.
                      Melford1972 says...
                      -----------------------
                      I make wag parts
                      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                      1968 M715 restomod
                      2001 Dodge 3500
                      2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• chubbinius
                        258 I6
                        • Oct 31, 2018

Awesome to see the final stretch, so glad you were able to get in touch with George. Nicely done!
                        -Dauntless 350 V8
                        -D27 front/D44 rear

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                          360 AMC
                          • Oct 02, 2002

The wife and I kept going to look at it. It really does feel like a milestone. And it is funny what the pinstriping does to the camera. It's weird. It pretty much wigs out the lens...
                          Melford1972 says...
                          -----------------------
                          I make wag parts
                          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                          1968 M715 restomod
                          2001 Dodge 3500
                          2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 02, 2002

I keep thinking I am just about done and two other things come up. Thats OK I know I am close. So a year or so ago I put a day or two into the hub caps. I just spent another three days on them. Bill needs them for pictures for his insurance company. I can't send pictures without hubcaps! After about 6 hours on one and I have to quit as it all starts looking the same. Thats why it takes so long to straighten them. I used several punches with the edges filed off, two different curvature rubber hammers, a rubber dolly that had the same curvature as the hubcap, and a regular broad face body hammer.
                            I picked the best three rears and eventually narrowed it down to two. I had no choice on the fronts as that was all I had.

I used 1500 grit to show me the dents with shadows.

Totally wavy and pretty much a reject. These are way past difficult to get perfect.

Deep scratches and gouges I used a super small punch and sometimes a chisel filed smooth with no corners. I would raise the metal with the punch and carefully using a body hammer and the rubber dolly in a vise, ease the bump level with the surrounding area. Then use a jewelers file to level it.

After this filing stage it went to the buffer with a sisal wheel and black heavy compound for leveling and scratch removal. I had to read the directions again to remember how to buff stainless. Caswell plating in New York had all the compounds and a great booklet on different metals and plastics. Caswell is also the place I got what I needed to plate zinc on the bolts a couple years ago. Interesting company.
                            So the hub caps look pretty good. They were all dented and scratched.
                            I wish I had time to repaint the centers. Maybe later...

The mirrors are on. These are from an early Bronco. Die cast metal and triple chrome plated. Bill found them and sent them to me. He keeps asking if they are on yet... Here you go Bill....

And this is the only picture I have of the visors. They are on and all cleaned up. I shot blasted the mounts and put satin nickel cerakote on them
                            They match the rear view mirror mount, same finish as the rear seat brackets, etc...

I found two good pins for the visors. Apparently the new ones are flexible. This broke right away when I snapped it in the rear view mirror mount. It gets thicker about 3/8ths in so I sanded it back to that point. This is another part that I will make from new better materials. I documented the entire pin for lathe work later.

I drove it around up and down the driveway. It is pretty dang cool. I am not sure I will give Sadie back.

More soon...
                            Melford1972 says...
                            -----------------------
                            I make wag parts
                            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                            1968 M715 restomod
                            2001 Dodge 3500
                            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

As I read these last few posts I get super excited to see the final pictures and know it will look absolutely stunning but I am also a little sad for this thread to be coming to a close. This was the first real thread I found when I signed up here and I feel like Sadie is my long distance pen pal.

I am sure you will post lots of final pictures and we are all dying to see it. Could you post some of bill taking the keys too? I think I will cry a little when you say goodbye!
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                                304 AMC
                                • Jul 25, 2016

there are no proper adjectives to describe how nice this build is.

the weird pattern created by the lines is something we encounter in printing

well, used to encounter more, years ago.

I think the word is pronounced "more-ray",...sp. = moray ?????

it used to occur in making negatives to make plates for the printing press

it does do a number on the lens and the eye in photos.

dave in NC
                                SOLSAKS - dave
                                1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                                1982 J-10 Fleetside
                                1988 grand wagoneer
                                2004 RUBICON jeep
                                Benson, NC

Comment

Working...
                                X