• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sitting Bull
    360 AMC
    • Sep 18, 2000

Wiring tech - dashboard harness - Crackpipe build

Questions from a 79 wiring harness. I need to get these figured out this week to have a shot at ECI

Anyway...before anyone asks, yes, I have looked and looked at the wiring diagram, and can't find mention of these...

The steering column is basically split up into three segment. Segment 1, bottom left, goes to the misc. switches mainly (headlights, wipers). Segment 2, middle right, goes mainly to the dash cluster. Segment 3 goes to the steering column mostly.

Here's a pic...

On the dash cluster area, there are these wires...what do they go to? It looks like the plastic housing is missing, but I'm not really sure. The rest of this harness is almost NOS shape, it seems wierd that this one would be the exception...There are three colored wires and the black one with the housing...

There are these connectors on the third section...no idea where they go...

And this one? Again on the third section of the harness...

This lovely connector comes right off of the fuse block, on the interior side. What is it for? I think the blue wire is the seatbelt light indicator???

Thanks guys, I know these are going to take some effort to figure out. If I can get some help on them, I would certainly appreciate it!!!
    Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.
  • Brad W.
    360 AMC
    • Jan 09, 2003

the third pic... the one with the 2 yellow wires and the orange/red wire is the kickdown switch for the wag gas pedal assembly, IIRC. Is that a jumper wire plugged into it? if so, that was AMC's way to bypass kickdown on manual trans vehicles, and then you know it is definetly kickdown.

I have a 79 harness in a box, its ~80% labelled, i'll pull it out tonight and see if i have any of those plugs tagged.
    Brad W.
    1979 wag "Nightmare"
    **project shelved indefinetly**

m715 ex-firetruck
    **project shelved**

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 "Project Juggernaut"
    24v-CTD/NV-4500/quad-cab/4x4
    4" straightpipe, rollin on beadlocked 37's.
    Big as a freight train, as loud as one too.

Comment

• CustomWag
      304 AMC
      • Oct 10, 2005

Man, that's a NO BEER job if I ever saw one!
      Rick
      84 Custom GW
      360/727/208/d44f/AMC20r/3:31
      Manual windows/locks/seats

Comment

• Boghog1
        258 I6
        • Apr 16, 2004

I have the instrument cluster pulled out of my 79 currently, I'll take a look and see if I can help once I get home.

Brad, feel like parting with your harness for the 79? I have a few fried circuts I need to fix?
        79 Cheif WT 360/TH400/1339
        83 Pioneer 4dr 258/???/???
        88 Cherokee XJ with OME lift TJ flares 33s
        98 Grand Cherokee 2.5" lift and 31s
        99 Cherokee XJ bone stock

Comment

• Sitting Bull
          360 AMC
          • Sep 18, 2000

Originally posted by Boghog1
          I have the instrument cluster pulled out of my 79 currently, I'll take a look and see if I can help once I get home.

Brad, feel like parting with your harness for the 79? I have a few fried circuts I need to fix?
          Not in a million years, this harness is dang near NOS. The only missing connector or alteration I can find on the entire thing is the three wires mentioned above. I'm keeping this bad boy close!!!

I think we've gotten most of them figured out thanks to a message I received from Babywag.
          Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Comment

• jode
            JB Welder
            • Apr 08, 2002

Originally posted by Sitting Bull
            I think we've gotten most of them figured out thanks to a message I received from Babywag.
            Well post up!
            No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Okay.....I'll help you out here, since I just installed a '79 harness in a '73.....save someone else some frustration.

from the bottom working up;
              Blue is for the seat belt connector, other plug is for the floor mounted headlight dimmer switch.

2nd from bottom;
              rear defog

3rd & 4th from bottom;
              auto kickdown & nuetral safety switch
              yellow-yellow-red=gas pedal switch for auto kickdown
              red-white=nuetral safety switch
              There is also a blue-blue wire connector for nuetral safety switch in top pic

Top;
              purple-black-orange missing connector;
              purple is for the oil gauge
              black I'm guessing is a ground?
              orange is for cluster lights?

I'm wondering about that one I identified as rear defog....
              Can you post a better pic of the connector?
              Last edited by babywag; 05-18-2006, 07:12 PM.
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• zmjeeps
                304 AMC
                • Jun 14, 2000

Seeing as how I reproduce this harness, I should be able to answer these.

Second Pic: These three wires are supposed to be in a flat black 5 space connectot that goes into the back of the dash. When it is installed, it should look something like this:

Third and fourth pic: As mentioned above, the one on the left is the trans kickdown plug for Th400 autos only. The other plug has the right color wires, but the wrong connector for where it is in the harness. Must be an early/late '79 thing.

Fifth Pic: This looks like the lower of the two plugs that go though the firewall above the fuse box and mate with the harness going to the rear.

Sixth Pic: This plug is for the high beam switch on the floor:
                Zack Heisey
                Z&M Jeeps
                419.893.4JEEP (4533)
                www.zmjeeps.com
                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                X