• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarineOpLaw
    232 I6
    • Aug 07, 2003

J-20 Wheels: compatible 15" or 16" 8 lug wheels

Recently acquired an '86 J-20 running 9.5x16.5 tires on 8 lug, 16.5 wheels. After buying a spare, I've found these tires are a challenge to find and realtively expensive when you do find them - w/o much of a selection to choose from. A garage mechanic suggested finding some 15 or 16 inch wheels and switching wheel/tire size(s) when I need to replace my current tires.

Anyone know what wheels I should be looking for/asking for? Suggestions and recommendations always welcomed and appreciated.

Edit: That was not so clear...Maybe I should clarify: I am looking to know what other stock vehicle (years/makes: Chevy, Ford, Dodge, etc...) wheels have the same lug pattern, but in 15 or 16" that I can switch to (w/o alteration). I am looking to buy used stock wheels (if I can find them) as opposed to new wheels.

Many thanks!

[ August 09, 2003, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: MarineOpLaw ]
    Jerry<br />U.S. MARINE!<br /><br />Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. <br />T.R. Roosevelt
  • Wesdog
    350 Buick
    • Jul 13, 2001

I have 15" 8 lug wheels I got from America's Tire and had to do some grinding on the front calipars to get them to clear. 16" wheels are probably better in this respect but it may depend on the tires you want to use.

Wesdog

76' Cherokee S Chief W/T 401/TH400/QT/D60FF/Rancho
    77' Cherokee 360/T18A/D20/SoA/Full Cage
    75' CJ5 304/T15/D20/Rancho
    75' CJ5 401/TF727/D300/Rancho (project)

Comment

• ColeTrickle
      360 AMC
      • Nov 13, 2000

You can basically use any 8 lug 16" wheel from Dodge or Chevy. The later model Ford wheels have a metric 8 bolt pattern so steer clear of those. The earlier Ford's, say...'90 and older, would also work.
      The 15's will need some work done, like Wesdog has mentioned. But, many advise against this for safety reasons...
      J-trucks with Brows RULE!!!

Comment

• viscacha
        350 Buick
        • Dec 11, 2002

Welcome to the board. Now we have three ?86 J20?s on this board that I know of. There were only 505 made that year.

I replaced the original 16.5? rims with 16? x 8?, 8 lug x 6.5? bc x 4.5? back spacing.
        steve

?86 J20
        SOA, Dana 60's, F/R Lockers
        Full High Steer, Ram Assist
        Bunch of Other Stuff

Comment

• bigun
          • Feb 10, 2003

I say go with the 16's most of the late model 3/4 ton and up pick-ups are using them so there is a great selection of tires for them plus the old 16.5 do not have a safety bead on them
          charlie
          KB0HXA
          "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
          congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
          How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
          Robert A. Heinlein
          The birth of CROM is recorded here
          http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• MarineOpLaw
            232 I6
            • Aug 07, 2003

THanks guys for all the great info/advice. I was not aware all 8 lug wheels were same. I figured since there were so many 5 lug 'sizes', the 8 lugs would be different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Guess not.

I will go w/ 16" wheels so as not to have to mod any brakes, etc. Come to think of it, that mech didn't mention 15" - probably for that exact reason.

AZ J20: One of those 505 '86 20's is on ebay as I write this... Item number: 2427442523. Located in Idaho. Body looks like it has been well cared for.

Again, many thanks!
            Jerry<br />U.S. MARINE!<br /><br />Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. <br />T.R. Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
            X