• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deckside
    258 I6
    • May 02, 2015

Interior door panel hacks and tips?

I've had to remove and install my panels several times for window and electronics work. I've had several clips break and even more rip through the cardboard panel backing. Im as careful as I can be but I loath every time I have to get at something in the door. Anybody have a hack or tip for repairing the door panel where the clip has pulled through? I bought some clips of Ebay but want to fix the panels before replacing them.
    1980 Wagoneer Limited "Prissyish" Sold
    1972 Wagoneer Butter Scotch Gold restoring
  • deckside
    258 I6
    • May 02, 2015

Super glue trick looks good:

A simple way to repair damaged Auto Masonite backed interior door cards.
    1980 Wagoneer Limited "Prissyish" Sold
    1972 Wagoneer Butter Scotch Gold restoring

Comment

• zjgross1
      230 Tornado
      • Mar 03, 2015

Originally posted by deckside
      I've had to remove and install my panels several times for window and electronics work. I've had several clips break and even more rip through the cardboard panel backing. Im as careful as I can be but I loath every time I have to get at something in the door. Anybody have a hack or tip for repairing the door panel where the clip has pulled through? I bought some clips of Ebay but want to fix the panels before replacing them.

I just did this on my 87 Grand Wagoneer. The fix depends on the type of clips you use. I had some metal traditional clips as well as the plastic plugs. Both are available from TGW. I would recommend getting both just in case you cant get one style clip to work. Get some super glue (I used Gorilla Glue) and some old gift cards. I cut the gift cards into strips and created an anchor to the masonite to hold the metal clips. In sections that are very bad i had to use the plastic plugs and just super glue them to the masonite. Gorilla Glue works well because it expands as it dries.

Be careful because it is a pain if you dont glue the clips in the proper place. Make sure you measure the distance between the clips vertically as well as the clips on the opposing side (horizontally). When the door panels warp the dimensions could change slightly and throw off your placement. You will need a box cutter to cut them out if you dont glue them in the right position. You will also need some clamps to hold the clips tightly to the board while drying.

Hope this helps

Comment

• racegas
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 15, 2012

you can actually get the clips at NAPA as a bagged product. they don't have the little square foam pieces on them, but work nonetheless.
        'Robert E Lee'
        89 GW White w/Cordovan Interior(daughter's DD)

Comment

Working...
        X