• Show
Clear All
  • westcoastflea
    232 I6
    • Jan 25, 2004

brake warning light what color wires?

this is a quick question 85 jeep wagoneer

have checked tom collins wiring diagrams etc etc,

i need to know which light socket going into the instrument cluster is for the brake warning light
    the light that comes on briefly when you start the engine then shuts off if brakes are good or comes on when you have the emergency brake on.

the diagrams on tom collins seem to show a black wire along with a red wire for that light and i dont seem to have any sockets with one black wire or one with a black and red wire.
    i have couple with one orange wire each and one with a yellow wire and black wire coming from it that is always live for whatever reason.

ive tried tracing the wiring from the 4 wheel drive indicator and switch and the ignition but cant seem to come to the end with the right socket

ive tried using a test light with the emergency brake on and ignition on to look for power in a socket and had no luck.
    if someone could look and tell me what color wires are coming out of the brake warning light socket in the instrument cluster that would be very helpful
    im just really tired of working on this jeep and want to get it done
    so.... please anyone?
  • bigblack'74
    304 AMC
    • Dec 05, 2000

THE WIRE IS ORANGE I THINK... IT IS SELF GROUNDING SOCKET
    Wagoneer-less

Comment

• westcoastflea
      232 I6
      • Jan 25, 2004

hi ive got two sockets with one orange wire each both have little metal prongs on the outside of the socket but both get power when the headlights are turned on, i forgot to say this is an 85 wagoneer, any idea what the orange wire for the socket hooks up to for a wire color? maybe i could narrow it down that way?

thanks!!

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

The big round plug on the back of the printed circuit board....red wire and black wire??

Quick test...

Hook up a test light to a good ground, probe the connector on the parking brake, the light should illuminate.
        If it doesn't you probably have a ground issue.

The light socket you're looking for is the top one on the left side of the printed circuit board.
        Be sure you're using a good bulb

The circuit is activated by ground;
        Parking brake switch engaged (closed) sends ground to complete the circuit.
        Brake valve senses pressure issue (closes) sends ground to complete the circuit.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• westcoastflea
          232 I6
          • Jan 25, 2004

hi thank you for posting
          unfortunately none of the sockets are where they should be in the cluster
          they were all out of the cluster so while im aware that it is the left part of the instrument cluster i dont know which socket out of the 4 should go in there.
          i dont seem to have a bulb that works for those sockets so am using a test light to show power at the sockets(walmart has a very small selection of bulbs)

so i should take my test light and rather then probing sockets i should probe the connector on the emergency brake? am i safe in assuming that no matter what position the emergency brake is in there should be power in the wire connected to it?

now if i dont have power going there what next? from what i can see the wire goes straight into the fuse box and from there to wiring hell?
          how do i track the wire to the power source?

when you say a ground issue what is the ground for the emergency brake?, back of the instrument cluster??

and where does the wire go after it hits the fuse box what color comes out to go to brake light socket?
          the wire going to proportioning valve i cant trace it after it goes into the firewall or fuse box not sure which so i cant use that to find my socket either.
          i have an orange red wired socket and a yellow brown wired socket.

im finding the orange red has power when you turn on the headlights.

the yellow brown HAD power yesterday as soon as ignition key was turned but didnt lose power if i unplugged the wire on proportioning valve or took the wire off the emergency brake and it seems that if it was the right socket doing those things would have cut power to it right?

today for some reason i find no power to it at all.

so i dont know if wiring was screwed up when i took out air conditioning and cruise control or not, lots of wires with connectors under there that arent connnected etc etc.
          maybe i have power going all the time to the brake socket?

so am trying to trace wire from emergency brake to socket and wire from proportioning valve to socket.
          or find out 100% which socket is the brake socket so i can focus on that little bugger til it screams.

and while the wiring diagrams look easy enough somehow when you are under the dash everything goes to sh**t

so any hints, thoughts, suggestions?

am going to do the probe the emergency switch connection tomorrow but need to know where to go after that.

thank you for help

Comment

Working...
          X