Thinking about going back to a 2150 carb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleg
    232 I6
    • Feb 13, 2014

Thinking about going back to a 2150 carb.

When I bought my 1981 360ci Cherokee it already had a Edelbrock 1406 carb on it and some kind of HEI ignition that was hacked in. I've always planned to go TBI but recently I'm second guessing that and considering just going back to a 2150 carb. Simplicity is a big reason. Reliability and "on the trail in the middle of BFE" repairs are additional reasons for the swap back to a 2150 instead of TBI. I have concerns going TBI. I'm afraid I'll never be able to get the computer controlled ignition to work correctly based on the hack job the last owner did and I don't believe my current HEI distributor is compatible. I think it's a Mallory Series 85 but not 100% sure. I also find myself in the absolute middle of no where on occasion and worry that some sensor or computer chip will go south at the worst possible time. 20 year old electronics are just getting older.

My Jeep currently has the 1406 carb and associated manifold, no idea what the exact model of the manifold is. I assume I'd have to find a stock manifold and 2150 carb. Any carbs I should particularly look for or avoid?
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

A 2150 and stock manifold shouldn't be hard to find. A 4v carb swap is pretty common so suspect there's some orig take offs around. There's no demand for the 2v manifold so most are prolly still around collecting dust. Not worth anything but expensive to ship(heavy). I had one for years I got tired of moving around and tried to give it away free for the cost of shipping. Ended up tossing it in the load that was headed for the scrap yard.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Fleg
      232 I6
      • Feb 13, 2014

Any venturi size I should look for?

Comment

• will e
        Always Broke
        • Nov 16, 2001

I had TBI and swapped out for a Holley Truck avenger. Never looked back. Great at angles.

I thought I heard good 2150 cores are hard to find? I could be totally wrong on that.
        82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• mattmopar440
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • May 17, 2007

how to fix and edelbrock carb unbolt it throw it as hard as u can into the woods Buy a holley truck avenger
          87' Grand Wagoneer
          401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
          84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
          80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
          74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
          Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
          Inferior Chevy

Comment

• acct21
            327 Rambler
            • May 20, 2014

+1 on the Truck Avenger. Had one on a '78 Bronco with a nicely-built 400 V8. It was perfect right out of the box.

+1 on the original 2150, too. Tossed the one on my '90 that apparently had a bad casting and replaced it with a newly rebuilt unit. First time I was able to tune the GW and get it dialed in perfectly. Starts on the first turn of the key and runs strong year-round. As good as TBI in my book.
            1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• Tatsadasayago
              350 Buick
              • May 15, 2009

The 2150 is a great wheeling carb when it's in good shape.
              An alternative, since you already have the 4BBL manifold is the Holley 4160. It's the same carb as the avenger, but without the venting and off road needle and seats.
              Some clear vinyl motorcycle/snowmobile fuel line, a tee, some zip ties and an off road needle and seat kit and you have the Avenger for alot less.

I love the Edelbrock/Carter AFB...for the street/strip only. In the hills they are worse than bad. You may as well run a hose from the fuel pump into the manifold when at any angle and bouncing over small rocks.
              Jim
              KY7DX/6
              76 401 Wagoneer *The Gag-O-Neer*
              77 360 W/T Cherokee Chief *Blair Jeep Project III* http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113707

Sacramento, CA USA

Comment

• Fleg
                232 I6
                • Feb 13, 2014

Thanks for the info, certainly helpful. The Edelbrock is a great carb for the street, its off-road abilities are not so good. I'm really not sure why they appear to be so popular.

Comment

• mattmopar440
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • May 17, 2007

Originally posted by Fleg
                  Thanks for the info, certainly helpful. The Edelbrock is a great carb for the street, its off-road abilities are not so good. I'm really not sure why they appear to be so popular.
                  cause there cheap Ive never had one that I liked the best one still like to flood very easy on start up
                  87' Grand Wagoneer
                  401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                  84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                  80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                  74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                  Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                  Inferior Chevy

Comment

• Tatsadasayago
                    350 Buick
                    • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by Fleg
                    Probably because most who put them on a 4x4 are mall wheelers and as it was said, they are cheaper.
                    You can get an AFB to work so-so in the hills with the offroad needle and seat, but they still either flood or starve at angles.

The only carb I ever ran hill-climbing and rock crawling that worked better than the Holley was the Predator. It would run almost 90 degrees sideways due to the shape and design of it's side-hung fuel bowl.
                    Jim
                    KY7DX/6
                    76 401 Wagoneer *The Gag-O-Neer*
                    77 360 W/T Cherokee Chief *Blair Jeep Project III* http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113707

Sacramento, CA USA

Comment

• Fleg
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 13, 2014

Don't tell me that! I had a Predator for years intended for a project that was never finished. I got tired of looking at it and literally sold it three months before I bought my Cherokee.

Comment

Guess I've been lucky with the Eddy 1400s with offroad needle/seat. Every Holley I've ever had flooded and died (a few in spectacular fireballs before I learned to tune them half assed)
                        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• will e
                          Always Broke
                          • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by Carnuck
                          Every Holley I've ever had flooded and died (a few in spectacular fireballs before I learned to tune them half assed)
                          Don't tell me that! I have three of them in my Mustang engine compartment!
                          82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

Working...
                          X