• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 76j10build
    232 I6
    • Nov 13, 2019

Freeze plug / engine mount

We have replaced the freeze plugs on the rear of both sides of the block. It wasn't too bad. Now I need to replace the freeze plug on the front of the driver's side. It mostly covered up by the engine mount. I don't have an engine hoist, so should / can I replace it without removing the mount? If so, how - it doesn't look like there is enought clearance to get the new one in.
    If I do need to remove the mount, do I just support the engine with a floor jack and remove the mount? I've never messed with engine mounts before...
  • Dave Jeeper
    232 I6
    • Sep 08, 2019

When I replace engine mounts I put a piece of plywood under the oil pan, then use a jack against the plywood. I jack the engine up just enough to take the weight off the mount. Make sure that your jack doesn't tend to leak down or slip. The plywood should be the size of the bottom of the pan, but not larger so that you can still access the mount.

Comment

• 76j10build
      232 I6
      • Nov 13, 2019

Thanks for the reply. Can I do just the one mount? Or do I have to loosen up other mounts in order to do this? I read somewhere I might need to loosen a transmission mount as well as lift the motor up - is that really needed? Thanks.

Comment

• 76j10build
        232 I6
        • Nov 13, 2019

I got this done today, actually easier than anticipated, probably less than an hour total...

Comment

Working...
        X