• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coreyw454
    232 I6
    • May 09, 2017

passenger window electrical

the passenger window will go up and down on my 89 GW if I use the switch on the driver side. However, it won't work if I use the switch on the passenger door. I disconnected the wiring going to the motor and tested that the passenger door switch worked with a test light. I even tried another switch. Why does it work from the driver side and not the passenger side?
    1985 Grand Wagoneer (current project)
    1973 Wagoneer (next project)
  • deckroid
    232 I6
    • Oct 05, 2016

A couple of quick thoughts, and you may have already tested these but:

1.) The wiring from the passenger switch to the motor may be bad
    2.) The driver side switch may have wiring issues
    3.) The driver side switch may not be fully turning "off" so it overrides any other controls

I had the 3rd issue this past winter. Luckily, there was a GW in the You Pull wrecking yard close by. It wouldn't have enough to run the window up, but it would have enough to draw power. I think it was an after market switch anyway, because it wasn't a On/Off switch but acted like a potentiometer and would gradually increase the speed of the window. That was the only one I changed out, but I picked up ALL of them for 5 bucks total.

Comment

• coreyw454
      232 I6
      • May 09, 2017

ok, so maybe try replacing the switch on the driver side and see if that makes the passenger one work? But I am getting power to the connector to the motor when I use the passenger switch as it is now.

Comment

• CutterN55
        350 Buick
        • Mar 09, 2009

Clean all electrical contacts in the door switches and the motor plugs with acetone or isopropyl alcohol and a wire brush. put it back together, will probably work just fine. these things get really nasty in a hurry. I also put dialectic grease in the plugs the keep out further water intrusion/corrosion to the plugs.
        ROMANS 12:1-2

Military guys- Check out www.MilitaryJeepers.com

'89 GW deceased
        Ford 4spd swap Np435/205
        Lifted/stretched on 36's/4.10 thick gears/spooled rear

'86 CJ-7 Renegade, Restored, original steel.
        new Built TBI 258/Np435/D300 twin-sticks/Waggy D44's
        37" Super Swampers and lots of goodies!

Comment

• ShagWagon
          350 Buick
          • Apr 10, 2016

I think the other three feed from the driver main panel.
          If it's gunked there then others won't work.

Do like cutterN55 says.

Spend some time with some precision screwdrivers, picks, brushes and take apart switches/plugs contacts...cleaning off corrosion and put back together.

I use marvel mystery oil and q-tips to saturate, soak and scrub electrical contacts.

You'll have em workin sweet in no time flat.
          87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• coreyw454
            232 I6
            • May 09, 2017

y'all are brilliant. cleaned everything up and now the passenger window switch works. thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X