• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blake
    304 AMC
    • Dec 22, 2005

Build a waggy with SOA and 37's for $2500

This is not intended to be a complete write up. It's just my experience with the SOA and overall build of my '83 Waggy. This post PROVES that you can go SOA for around 400 bucks.

The jeep drives, steers and handles amazingly well. It sits on the stock axles and leaf springs. I've been driving it around in this configuration for about 3 months now. It has very little body roll (comparitively speaking - it's no sports car). Taken it 'wheeling 3 times. It's my daily driver to and from work. It has the AMC 360 and 727 tranny that gets about 10MPG I also did some minor fender trimming and 3" body lift to fit the 37's. The tires don't rub at all.

I bought and built the ENTIRE jeep for just over 2,500 and did all the work myself. Keep in mind that I am a computer guy and not a mechanic, therefore I possess no special mechanical abilities. I also took my time and got the best deals possible, even got some parts from the local junk yard.

I purchased the Jeep bone stock in December 2005 and started building it right away.

Here is what I did for the SOA:

Stock front vacuum disconnect Dana 44
    • purchased two spring mounts for $20
    • got a longer front CV drive shaft from an 80's XJ with 5 speed tranny - $30 from the junk yard
    • purchased a single high steer arm for $50
    • got a passenger side flat top knuckle from the junkyard for $15
    • had the knuckle tapped for high steer $50
    • new ball joints $100 (I think)
    • lengthend the stock drag link by sleeving it with 1" ID dom (1.5" OD), welding the ends
    • ground the driver side pumkin where the leaf spring perch goes - also had to do some grinding on one side of the perch to make it fit.
    • used the stock ubolts and stock spring plates
    • tack welded the perches where I thought the caster angle was good - as it turns out, you don't have much choice in the caster angle because the drag link is so close to the passenger side leaf spring.
    • once I was satisfied that the caster angle was good, I welded the spring perches to the axle solid
    • unbolted the hard brake lines from the frame (but I'm planning to get new longer brake lines 70 bucks??)
    • welded a long bolt on both of the spring plates so that I can run the stock sway bar
    Stock rear AMC model 20 axle:
    • removed the e brake cables (they are too short for SOA)
    • left the front mounts on the rear springs alone
    • fabbed a shackle flip for the rear of the rear springs using home depot 1/4" steel for $20
    • I am currenlty using the stock rear brake lines - I had to remove the T fitting from the rear axle in order for the lines to be long enough - free (but I'm planning to get new longer brake lines 30 bucks??)
    • used the stock rear drive shaft
    Misc. expenses:
    • new 37" mtrs and wheels $1100
    • 3" body lift $100
    • used front 4.10 thick gears $80
    • new rear 4.10 gears $180
    • R12 A/C recharge $160 (ice cold A/C)
    • Tune up $50
    • belts and hoses $50
    • motor and tranny mounts $75
    • purchased jeep in running condition for $160
    • 727 Tranny rebuild $100 (I used the stock TC)
    • longer shocks from Advanced Auto $80
    Total money spent for all SOA components not including gears, tires, etc = around $400

Total money spent on tires, wheels, tune-up etc = around $2100

Grand Total for Jeep built as you see it below for $2500

So I'm sure some people will say that I cut corners, but the Jeep is SOLID and drives GREAT. I can go 80mph down the hwy and LET GO of the steering wheel while the jeep drives straight down the road. It's very quiet inside, so you can actually carry on a conversation while going hwy speeds (pretty cool for a 23 year old truck on 37" mud tires). It wheels pretty good, but it's no rock crawler. I built it mostly for camping and scenic rocky mountain trails, but high enough so I can roll over any obstacles in my way

Future plans include a front lockrite, front lockout hubs and some 2" wheel spacers and hydroboost brakes.

See pics below

Driver side

Front passenger

Passenger front

Passenger front

Driver front

Drag link

Driver side shock

Passenger side shock

Passenger side rear spring - front of the spring is in the stock location

Driver side rear spring - front of the spring is in the stock location

Driver side rear spring = shackle flip

Passenger side rear spring - shackle flip

Front drive shaft angle - no vibes - even at hwy speeds in 4wd

Passenger side rear axle - I had to cut some of the muffler off (I plan to have this professionally lengthened)

Drive side rear axle - I removed the brake line T fitting (untill I get lengthened brake lines) Looks like the breather hose needs to be lengthened too

Rear pinion angle

Front CV shaft (shaft from 80's XJ with a 5speed)

Entire length of the stock rear driveshaft

Better view of the front drive shaft

My three jeeps The yellow TJ has 33's

One of my go fast toys (2003 polaris predator race modified)

Action shots:

Top of Red Cone trail Colorado 12,400 feet in elevation

Middle fork road - near red cone

Last edited by Blake; 08-04-2006, 01:21 PM.
    Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.
  • 83 BEAST
    327 Rambler
    • May 15, 2005

very nice work!!! the pics look great! that makes me REALLY want my beast running right now! great job!
    The Beast: 1983 jeep j-10, 258ci, t-5 trans, np-208 t-case, d44(f) amc20(r), stock gears, 32" tires, (just passed emissions as of 12-16-11 )

Comment

• Bama Burden
      350 Buick
      • Jul 28, 2005

Looks good. Do you notice any body roll while going through corners?

Comment

• Blake
        304 AMC
        • Dec 22, 2005

It has some body roll, but not to bad. I plan to replace the spring bushings and replace the sway bar bushings, but it's not high on the list.

Comment

• NVJEEPER
          327 Rambler
          • Feb 24, 2006

nice pictures and Wag
          Damon
          '85 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• TBone89GW
            258 I6
            • Jan 24, 2005

O got to get my sheet together!

Great job!
            Erik Tyler
            _ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
            89 Grand Wagoneer (Heep)
            TFI upgrade
            15x7, American Racing Outlaw IIs
            BFG AT TKOs 31-10.50-15

"No man goes before his time -- unless his boss leaves first."

Comment

• jode
              JB Welder
              • Apr 08, 2002

Originally posted by shepherdblake
              T
              • got a longer front CV drive shaft from an 80's XJ with 5 speed tranny - $30 from the junk yard

Did it just fit on there with no modifications required? If so, that is a VERY pertinent piece of info, and it would be great if you could post some more info on your drivetrain configuration (motor, tranny, t-case) so that people who do this in the future can benefit from that little tidbit.

Also, I'd be interested in seeing a nice daylight picture of your rear pinion angle. Did you use any shims at all?
              No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• Blake
                304 AMC
                • Dec 22, 2005

Originally posted by jode
                Did it just fit on there with no modifications required? If so, that is a VERY pertinent piece of info, and it would be great if you could post some more info on your drivetrain configuration (motor, tranny, t-case) so that people who do this in the future can benefit from that little tidbit.

Also, I'd be interested in seeing a nice daylight picture of your rear pinion angle. Did you use any shims at all?
                The front CV drive shaft from a 5 speed '80s XJ is a few inches longer than a stock waggy front shaft. It works perfect. With no modifications at all (bolt in).

The rear pinion angle is very good with no shims or modification of the leaf spring perches. No vibrations.

As stated above, my waggy is the 360/727/np229/D44/M20 drivetrain.

Comment

• Slick Willie
                  350 Buick
                  • Apr 06, 2005

Congratulations Blake. I'll tell you what, I like your style. Most people post up ideas of future plans, get opinions, and mainly get run off from thoughts of springing over onto stock axles and such. You? You just gathered info (maybe already knew or something), put it together, built it cheaply, and heck it works. Some people will bash you for stock everything and methods of modification. And a lot of people talk about "I don't recommend it" and what works - what doesn't, what has broken - what hasn't, but I haven't seen a lot of information along with pictures of it. So good job man. It's good to see something done that no one else does, giving us some real info, and keep us updated in the future on how everything turns out. May I suggest taking it kinda easy on trails. But it looks good.

Thanks for the front driveshaft info. That will come in handy. On the rear, you said you just used the stock shaft? How bad did that stretch it? And I guess you didn't rotate the spring perches any, did you?
                  -Will
                  '86 Wagoneer 360/727/Stak 3 speed/HP60/FF14/welded 4.10's/~3" Front Springs/Chevy 63's/42's/hummer beadlocks/topless/8 point cage/half doors

Originally posted by rockjeep44
                  After this weekend chicks are gonna need suspenders to keep their panties up when I roll in

Comment

• chr1s
                    360 AMC
                    • Jun 17, 2003

Originally posted by Slick Willie
                    Congratulations Blake. I'll tell you what, I like your style. Most people post up ideas of future plans, get opinions, and mainly get run off from thoughts of springing over onto stock axles and such. You? You just gathered info (maybe already knew or something), put it together, built it cheaply, and heck it works. Some people will bash you for stock everything and methods of modification. And a lot of people talk about "I don't recommend it" and what works - what doesn't, what has broken - what hasn't, but I haven't seen a lot of information along with pictures of it. So good job man. It's good to see something done that no one else does, giving us some real info, and keep us updated in the future on how everything turns out. May I suggest taking it kinda easy on trails. But it looks good.

d@mn straight~
                    I like it cuz I might being goin SOA someday
                    87 Grand Wagoneer -(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)- "TROLL SMASHER II"
                    88 Grand Wagoneer- GONE
                    "many miles away, there's a shadow on the door, of a cottage on the shore, of a dark Scottish lake......many miles away..."

Comment

• Blake
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 22, 2005

Originally posted by Slick Willie

Thanks for the front driveshaft info. That will come in handy. On the rear, you said you just used the stock shaft? How bad did that stretch it? And I guess you didn't rotate the spring perches any, did you?
                      I posted some pics of the rear drive shaft, as well as others - I also updated the first post with some additional info.

I don't think it really "stetched" the rear shaft much (meaning that it still has plenty of travel).

Thanks for the compliments. This is not the first jeep I've built. The first was an 1980 CJ5 (waggy axles/SBC 350, injectected, etc). I've also put a simple 4" spring lift on a 1975 scout II and lifted my wifes TJ (the yellow TJ in the pic has a $200 lift).

My whole point is that I see TONS and TONS of posts talking about "oh well you can't setup your own ring and pinion" or "an SOA cost 1500 bucks" or this and that. That irritates me to no end. I firmly believe there are too many "web wheelers" out there who just repeat what they read online. This stuff is not hard. As I said, I am a computer guy (I run 911 for the entire nation). I'm not a mechanic.

I believe that ANYONE, who has some decent time and tools can build a rig on a budget. All you have to do is reasearch (boards like this for example), take your time, don't be afraid to use junkyard parts and have confidence.

I never paid much attention to waggys until I saw them build that one on the Trucks show last year. At the time I had a Scout II that was rusted all to hell (they all are), loud, lot's of body roll, etc. I told my wife that I wanted a waggy (one of the main reasons was affordability and junk yard parts availability). One month later I found this waggy on craigstlist and got it for $160 bucks (instantly became my daily driver). Now it's 8 months later and the jeep is basically done.

I'm sure this post will help others in the future - that was my main intent. Posts like this are what I believe makes boards like this so successful.
                      Last edited by Blake; 08-04-2006, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• canders7
                        258 I6
                        • Jan 01, 2006

Correct me if I am wrong, but as a byproduct of the rear lift method, pinion angle is inherently corrected to some degree. Because the front spring mount for the rear springs was not altered it allows for the pinion angle to rotate up as the rear spring mount was lowered. At the same time this also moves the rear axle ever-so-slightly forward as the rear spring mount is lowered as well. In that case the rear d-shaft doesn't stretch as much with how I understand the typical rear shackle flip is done.

Edit to say, by the way, nice job.
                        Millie - 1980 Cherokee Chief W/T 360/727/219/44/20

Comment

• jode
                          JB Welder
                          • Apr 08, 2002

Originally posted by canders7
                          Correct me if I am wrong, but as a byproduct of the rear lift method, pinion angle is inherently corrected to some degree.
                          That's right, and in fact, in this pic:

It actually even looks like it is OVER corrected. Amazing that there are no vibes. That's good luck.
                          No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• Blake
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 22, 2005

I will probably move the front of the rear springs to the lower position one day. The only reason I didn't so that is because you have to remove the gas tank and I'm lazy.

I am going to retract what I said earlier about no vibs. It has a VERY, VERY SMALL amount of vibes when you initially take off from a stand still. Not enough to worry about, or even notice. I think that going to the lower mount of the rear spring will "even out" the angle and make it absolutely perfect.

Comment

• blt2krl
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Apr 03, 2001

your rear shackle angle is sweet. How much does that thing flex? From your pics I would be hard pressed to believe your front shaft would not bind with very minimal droop. Good job on the low dollar build.
                              Paul Hartman
                              79 waggoneer
                              AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                              DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
                              39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
                              www.cbioffroadfab.com
                              WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

Working...
                              X