78 Wagoneer, Building a driver! New Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

78 Wagoneer, Building a driver! New Thread.

Originally wanted to do a frame off restoration with my son but he is just not that into cars like I have been since a kid. He will come out and help if asked, but this is clearly not his love and I'am good with that. My main goal with this build is to stave off rust and get the jeep back on the road as something that looks good and is usable as a cruiser. Bought it from a member on this sight in July of 2014. Ran it around town for a year or so and then the wife went back to school, so that was the end of that. She is a month away from finishing so now seems like a good time to get started. This is what it looked like when we first got home.
    Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 07-27-2017, 05:16 PM.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Since photo bucket killed all my pics.,I'am redoing my build thread. Please don't delete my old thread until I copy all the text from the old thread, thanks.
    Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 07-06-2017, 04:54 PM.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

Have the whole front cap off and started cleaning the frame.
      1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

Bought a 79 out of Baton Rouge a while back and it looks like the valance is rust free. Only two panels on the parts Wagoneer are rust free. One door and the valance. Paid $200.00 for it with the extra Razor grill.
        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

Pressure washed the fenders and fender wells. Removed most of the old under coating and scraped and sanded the rest off.
          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
            304 AMC
            • Jul 20, 2014

Fender wells sanded and ready for primer.
            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
              304 AMC
              • Jul 20, 2014

Also remade the fender welting. Mine was hard and not sure it would have functioned if I would have reinstalled it. Found something close in New Orleans at Atlas Hose & Gasket CO. 504-522-9613 1/8 diaphragm sheet rubber.
              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                304 AMC
                • Jul 20, 2014

So over the weekend I pressure washed the under side of the Wagoneer but ran out of daylight. looked at it the next day and I need to hit it one more time. Lots of mud, but it looks solid on the under side. Now for the cowl, it's a different story. Both sides were full of leaves and mud and the bottoms have some rust.
                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 20, 2014

Traced out on cardboard the rusted out piece of cowl. Cut it out of 18 gauge sheet metal, but did not shape it yet. Found more rust in what I would call the kick panel area. Still working on a plan of action. Other problem is I don't know how to weld. A friend dropped off a small mig welder I have been playing around with, father in law can weld, he may be the man for the job.
                  1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 20, 2014

Did a final sanding on fender wells and hit them with primer. Had all kinds of problems, blew out the diaphragm on the air compressor regulator.
                    1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                      304 AMC
                      • Jul 20, 2014

My valance has rust,so I cleaned up one off of my parts Wagoneer.
                      1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 20, 2014

Valance in primer, feeling a little better about this painting stuff. Still have a lot to learn, but getting after it.
                        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 20, 2014

Okay,back on the Wagoneer. Cut out some rust at the kick panel on the passenger side, and my father in law welded it up. I made a little patch and It worked out okay for a rookie.
                          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 20, 2014

Treated the area with POR metal treatment and the POR 15 epoxy paint. Sure is ugly, But I think It will be alright.
                            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                              304 AMC
                              • Jul 20, 2014

I have the outer part of the cowl roughed out and just need to do a final fit before welding it in place.
                              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                              X